Awesome People in Religion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Default Awesome People in Religion

I like how some religious people say that you don't need to believe in God to be a good person. It makes me stop and think when religious people quote Karl Marx: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people" and then point-out that atheism takes away our guilt over doing wrong things (like stealing)! I found it comforting to know that every good deed would be rewarded in the afterlife, and every bad deed would be punished. I wish I had never become an atheist, but if my search for truth and morality leads me to reject the existence of not only the Biblical God, but also the Hindu/Buddhist/Gnosis God which is synonymous with the Universe itself... My rejection that there is a sentient entity greater than humans which cares about human suffering allows me to perceive human suffering and act with more consideration towards other people's perspectives. Yet on the flipside, my rejection of atheism allowed me to perceive the beauty and eloquent structure of life and the universe! So I love it at 52:05 when Cardinal George Pell says that it's the job of atheists to explain goodness and the job of religion to explain suffering. At 41:59 Catholic Cardinal is saying that atheism is fine. And at 32:40 he tells us that Adam and Eve is a religious story told for religious purposes to try to explain the evil and the suffering in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Facebook God
    8. Triple black belt in Taekwondo
    Quote Originally Posted by James Robert
    9. Is not a dark sith lord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Allan
    So many ungrateful assholes. "Well, he hasn't sold the Vatican yet so I'm not impressed. He's just putting on a show of kindness and humility." Seriously? So it's all or nothing huh? This little nudge in the right direction isn't worth anything because things still aren't perfect? Well, your world obviously sucks. Because in mine, I see a pope who finally wants to set an example of acting as Christ did for all of the millions of Catholics in the world. And having grown up among all that, I can assure you that there is no greater lesson they need to learn.

The Catholic Church sucks, but that's no reason to denounce this guy's lead-by-example awesomeness. If you hate the social disease known as religion, then you should actually love this man, because he's doing his best to alleviate some of the symptoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercedez Mendez-Whitehurst
    I'm an Atheist and I like this guy. He's humble.
    Let me give my interpretation: it is the job of atheists to treasure truth, and the job of religion to treasure morality. So it is hypocritical to use religious beliefs to promote evil deeds, or to use atheist beliefs to promote deception. I think the best argument for religion is that it provides morals to our perspective, and the best argument for atheism is that it provides rationality to our perspective. I personally think that understanding moral relativism from a rational perspective allows us to follow our morals even better!! But in the end, everything is just an opinion. If people around me want to be religious, then I can humor them for the sake of politeness, even if I have no soul or spirit. Religion postulates a benevolent God to state that life is fair, or death is not the end, and thus encourage people to do good deeds by offering incentive in the afterlife, and discourage people from doing bad deeds by providing a source of guilt or retribution. I can't hate people for seeking some sort of fairness in life, and a meaning behind their existence. If you feel that believing in karma and heaven helps you to be a better person then you're probably right. But if you can't find God, then you can still be good by having empathy and being altruistic I wanted to commit suicide when my empathy for the lives that I indirectly exploit made me feel that the shit I give others outweighs the value of my existence. But surprise surprise - we have survival instincts.

Those are my thoughts when I hear religious people tolerating atheism. I personally would rather be religious... But I'd want to find one that doesn't have a God.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Those are my thoughts when I hear religious people tolerating atheism. I personally would rather be religious... But I'd want to find one that doesn't have a God.
    You should look into the eastern religions such as Taoism and Buddhism. They don't believe in a God-like figure but they are very spiritual. IMO, I do find that eastern religions to be a little less hypocritical than western religions.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Sokrates asks:
    If there is a difference between truth and morality, how does it look like?
    We need to know. How else can we avoid the false morality and stay with the truth?

If there is any difference between religious morality and the truth and everything that isn't true is deception, and religion exists for religious morality, religion is deception.
    Last edited by Ronin; 12-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Stay frosty.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 313

I really dislike christianity, but Pope Francis is awesome.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 313

also i identify more or less as an atheist, but richard dawkins can go eat a dick

http://www.vice.com/read/richard-daw...rport-security
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

That's hugely off-topic, but what is her point? That asking for sex is sexual harassment? In that case she does actually not have a clue what she is talking about.

That people disagree with her the way they do might be a whole load of crap, but who can agree with this? What is the right mode? Does she have a form you have to mail and a certified save and fair vetting and approval process?

The guy in question is assumed by her guilty of being ready to violate her decision before the fact.
    With that idea in your head, you will never be save. Also, if there is no way to communicate consent, that doesn't promote the concept of consent at all.
    #nonawesomeatheists
    Last edited by Ronin; 12-08-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Stay frosty.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 18

Personally, I am a somewhat recent convert to LaVeyan Satanism. I find that the concept of rewards for good things is bullshit. If you want to do nice things then dont do them for a reward. That is what I have taken to calling false samaritanism. I do what I feel like doing and I dont hide my true nature. I admit it, I am an asshole.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

To definitely believe that there is or is not a god is to show ones denial of possibility. In other words, Agnostic or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    To definitely believe that there is or is not a god is to show ones denial of possibility. In other words, Agnostic or GTFO.
    Redacted, because quote-post is flamebait and anyone who tries to sound smart on this is just dumb.
    Last edited by Ronin; 12-08-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Stay frosty.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 82

I feel like being Agnostic is the only way to go. Until there is proof that a god exists, or proof that there isn't one, everyone just believes what they want to.

I have to admit though, this new Pope is awesome. You would think the leader of Christianity would try to lead by example, and we're finally looking at a pope who does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast