Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me with my computer?

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 8

Default Can anyone help me with my computer?

I built my first computer about 6 months ago and its been running fine until lately. I shut it off every night and when i turn it on i can play any games with no problems but about after a hour or so everything gets really choppy and frame rates drop a lot and just a bunch of stuttering. Also my web browsing has been realllllly slow but i think that's a different issue does anyone know what could be causing this?

Panda Moderator Reputation: 580

Could be a virus ... Like some program using almost 100% of your cpu . When you have that problem again CTRL+ALT+Delete and see which program uses most of your cpu in task manager .

There's one thing there that I don't recognize its MsMpEng.exe but when i try to end process it says access denied

You could right click it , then go to file location and save the file directory on desktop . Then restart pc and go directly to that folder and either delete the exe file or rename it if you cant delete it .

Nope that didn't help whats a good free virus scanner because i have avast and malwarebytes but they don't detect any viruses

Did you restart your pc as well , that gives you more time to delete or rename the file before it opens again and doesn't let you do either of those .

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10

Have you checked the temperature of your graphics card and your processor? sounds like it maybe overheating.

Yea it wasn't that program tho and my comp is at 53c is that good or bad? I'm not playing any games now tho so im sure it gets hotter then that

average gpu temperature is at 32 ... with 53 its possible it reaches 90+ or more when you play games

Use CPUID program to check every temperature status of every pc parts . Like cpu , gpu , fan speed etc .
    Last edited by Seya; 12-08-2013 at 11:42 AM.

yep seya is correct so unless your actually stressing you system by playing games its hard to tell, I would suggest giving your computer a run on the most demanding game it can take and then check the temp levels after that. Your graphics card is the main thing if that reaches 90+ its overheating try cleaning it out with some compressed air or a fine brush like a make-up brush.

Retired Staff Reputation: 704

53C is normal for CPU and GPU.

Either way, that MsMpEng.exe is Windows Defender. It is possible that it is scanning when your CPU hits 100%. Since you already have MBAM and Avast, check if Windows Defender is indeed turned off.

Yeah that's a good point I had the same problem with Zonealarm free edition it would use 100% of my memory I removed it and bam perfect smooth playing again.

Yea windows defender is turned off and my tempeture stays at 50c while playing ghosts so i dont think its anything to do with that anything else it could be?

Well... keep an eye out on your CPU-load through task manager.

If it's lagging and not on 100% there's a chance your HDD cannot keep up. The only real safe way to fix that is to get another one. :/

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

This honestly just sounds like a dust problem, computer has to much dust in heatsinks of GPU and CPU causing the computer to strain and run extremely hot, open the case up and see what your looking at for dust if there is any clean it up give it a run.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 27

My computer was acting strange, it was dirty. I had to clean the dust, and I took off the VGA and cleaned it all through. I went from 30 FPS on GW2 to 70 FPS.

Well I cleaned it out a couple months ago idk how to properly clean it out tho it did help but not for very long maybe ill try it again should i get some compressed air and clean it out that way? I know im really lacking on computer knowledge for someone who built one lol

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

You can have someone assist you or something when cleaning it. You might do something to it that you're not supposed to. >_<
    You might want to check your HDD as well...I don't know, maybe its transfer rate is getting lower?

Quote Originally Posted by majjestic View Post
    Well I cleaned it out a couple months ago idk how to properly clean it out tho it did help but not for very long maybe ill try it again should i get some compressed air and clean it out that way? I know im really lacking on computer knowledge for someone who built one lol
    Disconnect computer completely.
    Move your case outside of the room it usually is in (also make sure it's fairly dustless).
    Open your case and remove dust filters if you have them.
    Spray that everything where there's dust. Let the fans on your CPU and GPU spin very fast as well using your compressed air.
    Close it up and put it back.

This is normally written on the can but it can't hurt to repeat: keep the can straight. If you hold it at an angle, it'll create condensation which you don't want to have. (though this is mainly for when it's turned on)

Either way, I doubt this is dust. His temps are normal and you'd need to have your PC stored in an industrial environment to get it that far. That or pack 3-4 packs of cigarettes each day in front of your PC.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

The games you play set them to very low or as low as you can. Play for as long as possible and see if you notice any slowdown. If nothing, it's likely that some part of your computer is faulty or out of shape. As for MsMp, it's an antivirus thing that's common.

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 25

Microsoft Security Essentials / Windows Defender (The 2 are the same.. one goes to Windows 8, the other Windows 7.. something like that)
    These are my protectors.. I don't have anything else but Windows Defender and I've been Virus free all year I've had this computer. Well, a year of this computer will be December 31st.

I also do a Full Scan every night for infections, viruses, etc. every night before I go to bed, using Windows Defender...
    I'd suggest you to check out Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials, and take Avast off.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 31

I use canned air once a year on the inside my machine, it's only like 5 bucks and couldn't really hurt.

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 22

Run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. Pretty much you don't need to buy an anti-virus like Norton, McAfee etc etc. MSE works fine.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 24

I'll give my 2c...
    Since you are saying that you "built" it, have you looked at your Power Supply?

when the power supply is being pressured too much than what it should, your system would be unstable, and eventually died. See if it is the problem with power supply though, by turning your high-end game for a couple of hours and see if it turns off automatically, if it is, then it could probably problem with power supply.
    Currently playing: Hearthstone; Aura Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by vtrzzzzzz View Post
    I'll give my 2c...
    Since you are saying that you "built" it, have you looked at your Power Supply?

when the power supply is being pressured too much than what it should, your system would be unstable, and eventually died. See if it is the problem with power supply though, by turning your high-end game for a couple of hours and see if it turns off automatically, if it is, then it could probably problem with power supply.
    Power supply is not linked to performance in any way.

If your PSU doesn't give enough power, it will shut off immediately. Alternatively, it'll become an indian and send you a last smoke signal to tell you it died.