Youtube Gaming is ruined, guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 72

Default Youtube Gaming is ruined, guys.

I'm actually extremely pissed at what is happening to Let's Players on Youtube. Great commentary/review channels are being thrown to the side while shitty shallow channels like PewDiePie and TobyGames gets to keep their copyright and money making benefits.

The man is always trying to ruin my internet, dude.

http://www.adweek.com/videowatch/how...ns-work-153492

Long story short, networks don't want to deal with the thousands of channels that are infringing on copyright violations, so they're keeping them a part of the network, taking their money, but not even giving them the benefits of not going through an approval process amongst other things. So the content will be slowed, smaller channels are stripped of benefits, but the networks still get to keep part of their money.

While bigger channels who give them more money get to keep the benefits and do what they please because the network is on their side. On a business side it makes sense, but the fact that networks are there to protect and channel and jump through hoops for them, it's contradicting. They're bound by contract, so now these small channels are in an agreement that takes their earned money and nothing else.

Last edited by puudleduudle; 12-10-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    ||(ノヮ)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧||

Playing:
    A bunch of 2013 games I missed.
    TERA: MT - Qewpid - Inactive
    TalesRunner: Phaun - CB tester - Inactive
    ArcheAge Sometimes

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

When will whining youtubers just make their own page?
    wait for it... never.

a] The problem isn't yt anyways, it's copyright law.
    b] FUD much?
    Last edited by Ronin; 12-10-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Stay frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    When will whining youtubers just make their own page?

wait for it... never.
    The thing is, Youtube use to be a place that wasn't controlled by the interest of itself. It was focused on giving an open and fair platform for content creators to share what they like and while Google did buy it and make changes, until now, it's still been pretty fair.

Youtube WAS the thing the whining people made because they were sick of mainstream crap that was unfair and extremely linear.

In reply to the edit:
    I know, but the networks job is to protect and organize those laws for channels. Giving them the same service they would have if they were to handle it on their own is basically taking part of their profit without actually helping it.

Playing:
    ArcheAge Sometimes

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Youtube wasn't built by the users though. Youtube was built by a combination of good service and advertisement.
    That includes giving the users the idea that they are "building something", while in actuality they are just filling up premade boxes with the stuff that youtube lets them.

There are hundreds of streaming sites out there. All follow the same laws and all try to offer the same services.
    Youtube gave the streamers the platform youtube made.

That copyright laws are draconian is sad and crappy, but has really not that much to do with yt.

Disclaimer:
    That's just my opinion and I do not have lots of experience with the streamer side of how youtube works myself, or how the money side is organized. However youtube just tries to follow/twist the law and stay in biz. It would be worse for the streamers if it didn't.
    Last edited by Ronin; 12-10-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Stay frosty.

Youtube wasn't built by the users though. Youtube was built by a combination of good service and advertisement.
    That includes giving the users the idea that they are "building something", while in actuality they are just filling up premade boxes with the stuff that youtube lets them.

There are hundreds of streaming sites out there. All follow the same laws and all try to offer the same services.
    Youtube gave the streamers the platform youtube made.

That copyright laws are draconian is sad and crappy, but has really not that much to do with yt.

Disclaimer:
    That's just my opinion and I do not have lots of experience with the streamer side of how youtube works myself, or how the money side is organized. However youtube just tries to follow/twist the law and stay in biz. It would be worse for the streamers if it didn't.
    True, true.

I guess no one leaves because Youtube has made itself /the/ site to go to for streaming. Twitchtv is also a good platform, but they're more for livestreaming, which some people prefer not to do.

A lot of the outrage comes from the fact that networks have ditched what their original promise was, leaving people bound to useless, if not, damaging contracts.

Like, Youtube obviously has its limits to just how many lawsuits it can find itself in, but as for streaming gaming footage, there's not really anywhere to go unless you livestream. And audiences and content creators everywhere are extremely dissapointed because they're going to have to find a new job (one of the people I've been subscribed has health issues that make it hard to work for her), which can be hard for some, and their audiences are sort of left with an abrupt stop to their favorite videos.

But I do agree with you.

Playing:
    ArcheAge Sometimes

General Manager Reputation: 353

Yea it hurt quite a bit when we lost the revenue stream coming in from featuring ads on gaming trailers. Google is out to get me at every turn it seems.

I'm honestly worried that the money side of this business hasn't been talking about these changes. Might be affecting us even more and no one is looking into it.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Innovation is now having games play themselves? I don't want to live on this planet anymore. - Blackomen

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

A friend of mine enjoys watching pewd's videos, yeah some are funny, I've seen some but everything else is just him breaking his mic, hurting my ears and earphones/headphones/speakers. No offense to pewd's fans though.

A few handful of Let's Players do make good commentary about the game itself. One of them is Markiplier, granted he doesn't always do that but he's got some videos, mostly indie games where he really shows what the game has to offer and gives insights about it.

Though I saw one video about Aika Online where the dude just bashes on how the devs are like perverts or something...meh...

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 619

time for a new video site and letting youtube die in a ditch i guess

Currently Playing: TheHunter

>Screenshot Collection 2013-2014<

Senior Editor Reputation: 12

It's a real disappointment, but I think it speaks volumes on how content creators need to control their own content by hosting it themselves, rather than relying on large-scale hosting sites. I don't just mean video places like YouTube or Vimeo either; I also mean stuff like blogging, art, podcasts, etc.

Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast