Why do people like the hobbit/lotr movies? Why do you like or dont like hem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 92

Default Why do people like the hobbit/lotr movies? Why do you like or dont like hem?

I don't really get it. Lotr is a great and fun novel for people who like fantasy and magical stories.

But why are the movie versions so popular?
    They are even more popular than things like Superman or Die Hard or Terminator right? More popular than Mary Poppins, Godzilla or Phantom of the Opera.

Why do people like that particular fantasy magical story so much? Or do they like all fantasy magical stories? Do you like or dislike the Lotr/hobbit movies and why?
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Game Journalist Reputation: 394

Because the story is an epic one and has been a classic for a long time and already had a massive following. That meant that very good directors, producers, and investors were willing to work on the film. It also meant that it had a massive budget, which means a super high quality film with great actors. Who doesn't like a good film with great actors and epic battles?

It's a similar story with the Harry Potter films - A great author built a great magical world for readers and got a huge following. Great screenwriters, directors, producers/investors realized this and put a lot of effort into the films. And, because of that, the films turned out great and people loved them and the fanbase continued to grow and grow.

Same thing with Game of Thrones. Great author wrote a great story, the film/tv industry knew this and also noticed the already large fanbase, and decided that it wouldn't be much of a gamble. Then we got the Game of Thrones TV show and it turned out amazing, with awesome battles and an interesting story, just like the books.

The Road is a similar success story. The book as intriguing and heart wrenching, and the movie turned out just as good.

Comic-books-turned-films are almost the same, too. Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Superman, Batman, Iron Man, etc...

We pretty much live in a semi-golden age of entertainment where we can generate, using computers, life-like effects/models/etc... Because of that, all of the amazing things that used to be limited to our imagination and books are able to become a reality. We're in an era where, "If you can dream it, you can make it." The only have two questions you need to ask yourself. 1) Do you want to put forth the effort? And 2) Do you want to make a game or a Film (or series). With an investment of a few thousand dollars, you can get the same/similar software that the professionals use and then you just need to teach yourself the techniques (which is extremely easy now with the internet having hundreds of guides for each program). Buy a good computer, too (which will cost you a bit over $1,500). Then you just need to make some time and put in some effort. Same with making a film, just need a decent camera (which are getting cheaper and cheaper), some editing/effects programs (Sony Vegas, After Effects, Photoshop, etc...), and some people/actors.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

i really like the music. but yeah obviously the novels are so much better. not even in the same league re. quality. same goes for almost all of the lord of the rings supposed contemporaries in genre fiction (with a few exceptions such as The Left Hand of Darkness, for instance). the lord of the rings is one of the greatest literary works of the last century.

Last edited by postrook; 12-11-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

They capture the setting of epic fantasy and have cool characters and are high budget and we have read the books and people tell me to watch them?
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 844

They do an OK job of not butchering the book. Not great, but OK. With the time allotted and the constraints of budget and technology, I'd say they did a great job. I mean, if they had wanted to make 4 more movies they could have done everything, but I think they touched on most of the stuff I wanted to see.

Super excited for the opening scenes of the next Hobbit movie. They made the first one just a touch too goofy for me, but made up for it with the wolves. Beorn's house in the Hobbit is one of the coolest parts IMO, and I really hope they do a good job with it :]

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 13

gimmlis beard is 2 inches shorter in the movie than in the book. total bullshit

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

They are good movies I guess. The artwork and design cover the somewhat shoddy parts pretty well.
    Some characters are odd though. Legolas was so extremely well cast, considering how every other elf just wasn't.

Considering the book; I had gotten the hobbit once and I thought it was a really nice little story and I read it a couple of times. When I was at a major bookshop, there was this book in this fantasy section, that was just 4 times as big as any other book there and instead of some comicbook artwork on the cover, it was just plain red, the edges of the pages too, all around. I took it from the shelf and opened it at random and arrived at the weathertop. I read a couple of pages and i got hooked. When I curiously inspected the book and there where 2 foldable maps in a pocket on the back of the book. I opened up the larger one and started to look at it and that was when it dawned on me that this was a bigger version of the map printed in my the hobbit. At this point I didn't care one bit anymore that it was a special edition print version and that it was a little expensive. I had to have it. I am still glad that it was all 3 books in one. Otherwise I would most likely only have gotten the first. I read it in about 10 days. When I look at the book from sitting in my chair, I can still see how it is special. No movie poster art with loads and loads of glare and reflective embossed art decor, no cover that jumps at you from a mile afar, but still when you look at it, you immediately see that it's different, odd, huge, a promise of a childhood memory, inviting to be explored again. It stands right next to a book on languages of middle earth, the Silmarillion and the hobbit in English and German. I have two times more Tolkien books, pretty much everything ever published, but they are at my parents house.
    I could say that I like the movies and I endured watching them in all those different editions, separately and in marathons, with all those people I know who are obsessed with Tolkien things, from pen and paper roleplaying in middle earth based settings to LARPing. The movies didn't really ever grip me. I have a the artworkbooks which they printed to the first 2, which show how well done everything was. The plot is bad and nonsensical in them and the alterations they made from the plot of the book, to fill some gaps, make it worse, because they deviate and distract from the main plot. To me the narrative never developed grip. There are extremely well done pieces, like the whole part in the shire in the first movie. However, to show how Gandalf talks with a butterfly, which was brilliant, they have to include a starwars-lasersword fight with sticks. It wasn't even bad looking and I don't complain about that particular scene, but that is just what you need for such movies to sell. A slow motion Montague of how Isildur cuts of the ring, just right there, in the prologue, of the first movie. That prologue was extremely well done, imo, to the point of giving me shivers in the cinema when seeing it first, but it's also what demonstrates most clearly that in a few hours, you can't tell the story the way the book tells it.
    The movies are good because the book is exceptional. They have plenty of moments where they are also in their own right exceptional too, but they also have plenty of moments where you just zone out and wait for the next thing to happen. Comparing to the book doesn't leave them much of a chance, to really shine. (Also in my opinion, Peter Jackson can call himself lucky to having pulled it of. I believe that the director largely builds the narrative of a movie, through arranging the shots and actors. Much of that just seems clumsy in tLotR. It should be organic to watch and it should be all linked together and there should be a carefully architectured pacing, instead of look at this building, cut, look at this guy talking, cut, look at this mean ork, cut. There is for longer periods of time no real storytelling going on. Just my 2 cents though.)

Also I haven't seen "the hobbit" so far.
    Last edited by Ronin; 12-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Stay frosty.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

+reps ronin
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

Because humans have an innate longing. A calling that has been felt since the dawn of man.
    The primal need to find and **** elves.

Since none have been found, the Hobbit + LotR have become very popular.

But seriously, who doesn't love a good fantasy book/movie that isn't to watered down for kids but is still appealing to all ages.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Loved the first film trilogy, didn't like the books.
    The films is one of the few sci-fi films that truly takes me to another place. The other sci-fi films that do this are the original Star Wars films. That's not knocking sci-fi films, but with LotR and SW I forget that I'm watching a movie. I felt like the films really streamlined the ideas found in the book. People often forget that film and literature are two different mediums and comparing the two on the same terms is useless. Not everything written can make it to the screen because not all of it is filmable. It's something like 40 pages of a novel is a 90 minute film. Exposition is a good literary tool but a poor cinematic one. I was surprised I liked the trilogy as much as I did because I found the books rather boring. Too many characters, too much exposition even for my tastes, too much sentimentality, too much fluff.

Loved the Hobbit, didn't like the film.
    The Hobbit has one of the best opening sentences of modern literature. I find it far superior to the other novels because it cuts down on the fluff. All of the characters have a role. Just a great, simple read. I didn't like the film because the visuals failed to draw me in. It looked more like a LotR video game than the other trilogy. This complaint may seem lame, but film is still largely a visual medium. Great plots and characters can be stripped of their greatness because of poor cinematography and special effects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast