WoWers Might Have Been Spied by NSA and GCHQ

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default WoWers Might Have Been Spied by NSA and GCHQ

Can you imagine that in World of Warcraft, your friends, guild members, your team members or just a stranger are actually agents working for American and British Governments and they have been watching you for a while? I think the first reaction when you hear this thing is "LMAO, that's bullshit, are you kidding me?” But, it is not American humor indeed, it is true.
    According to the secret documents disclosed by whistleblower Edward Snowden, US intelligence NSA and its UK sister agency GCHQ had infiltrated the massive communities playing online games such as World of Warcraft, Second Lift and others, even Microsoft's Xbox Live Service. The NSA described games communities as a 'target-rich network' where potential terrorists could 'hide in plain sight'. The secret documents referred to NSA and GCHQ have collected a vast amount of intelligence from gamers' chats and deployed real-life agents into World of Warcraft and Second Life for a long time.

Hacker apocalypse struck World of Warcraft's servers on Oct, 2012, with causing deaths of nearly all players in Orgrimmar. Shall we regard it as a "terrorist attack"?
    Regarding this issue, WoW's developer Blizzard Entertainment had stated that they never allowed any kind of agencies' surveillance.
    "We are unaware of any surveillance taking place," a spokesman for Blizzard Entertainment told The Guardian. "If it was, it would have been done without our knowledge or permission."
    Maybe someday, when your account was logged in other area, it could be an agent who tried looking for clues of "terrorism-related". Of course your account would be more likely to be hacked (if you have never shared account with others). What do you think of when you become potential terrorists, WoWers?
    Read on More

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 245
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 36

ok now what.

Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 41

I'm genuinely confused as to how they think Terrorist attacks could be linked to games in any way shape or form ._.
    The DK bug basicly turned everyone into zombies which infected other people, who were then killed by town guards, was that a test to see how bio-attacks would go? o-o

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

I actually didn't read and just looked at the pictures. LOL

Okay sorry...I'll uhh...I'll read it.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardslin View Post
    The secret documents referred to NSA and GCHQ have collected a vast amount of intelligence from gamers' chats and deployed real-life agents into World of Warcraft and Second Life
    So this is how they get so many members... Do you think they lock down the server IP and collect packets too? (To find the IP addresses of each player in that instance.) Question: If the intelligence agent was on the same server as a regular player, would they also be able to read their private messages by collecting packets? I'm sure if they tried hard enough and had a huge budget, they'd be able to learn the private messaging protocols of WoW and be able to discern the content of private messages sent from wiretapped routers.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Super Moderator Reputation: 184

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post

^ .