What should be in the cash shop?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I'm NOT fine with power boosters even in PVE MMORPGs, because that usually end up with people not inviting you to instance groups if you aren't "pimped".
    Also what really bothers me often is: More inventory space. I already had it when games have limited inventory space in the first place, but having to return to town every 10 minutes unless you pay for a bigger bag just sucks.

I'm fine however with anything cosmetical, even fine with exclusive pets and mounts in the item shop. I'm fine with exp booster (but not so much drop rate, unless it's only a small increase). I'm even fine with additional content being sold via item shop as long as it's permanent (once you purchases an add-on, you'll have access to it forever). More character slots are also fine as imo role-playing is all about only playing one character anyway. Reset are also nice items for the item shop.
    I agree with the expansion items because I really hate when games give you limited space, I remember playing Ether saga and had like 4 lines of storage which I filled up super fast.

I don't mind if they sell expansions for decently cheap but they should atleast give you a good amount of space and not forcing you to buy expansions.

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 19

anything can be in the cash shop as long as cash mop money can be obtained in-game without paying ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 47

Quote Originally Posted by goawaybeavis View Post
    anything can be in the cash shop as long as cash mop money can be obtained in-game without paying ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    So, as long as you can get it for "free", they can sell GM like weapons for like...500$ that oneshot anything but that would still be fine since you can still get it by grinding ten years
    Rohan just came to my mind... Just because they give you a way to get it ingame doesn't mean it will be "balanced".

A cash shop is fine as long as it's convenience and cosmetics. It's stops being convenience and cosmetics if it unbalances the game or "forces" people to buy certain stuff (we all know those games which leave you with a tiny inventory that gets filled uppon looting a dozen of corpses or with quest/craft/junk items, that's certainly not reasonable to me unless it's the only non cosmetical thing for sale).

An example of great cash shop is Path of Exile, probably the most fair cash shop on a F2P mmo.
    Last edited by Adamaris; 12-13-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Firor's Fury Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Stat/damage boosts are fine on PvE games, or if the boosts only take effect when fighting mobs. On PvP, yeah, that's a total deal breaker.

From my own experience, I would say GW2 cash shop is pretty balanced.
    I'd like to note that GW2 is pretty much "pay2win" in terms of PVP Gear and the like. The game allows you to directly transfer real world money (Gems) into in-game currency. Much like Perfect World International.

What games need to do to not be pay2win is follow the OP's advice, AND make sure they never have the items tradable AND not have a real money <> in-game money system. Lock boxes also need to go, random chance to get an epic statted equip is still pay2win. (See Angels Online) If the pets/etc. don't have good stats, then I agree with the OP on premium pets/etc. But otherwise, no.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: Final Fantasy XIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: Wildstar (USA) Saving For: Television

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 292

Core gameplay elements should never be linked to a cash shop IMO.

That includes:
    Storage space
    Character slots
    Crafting boosters/enhancements/safeguards
    Additional characters
    Additional skill trees/slots/weapon choices, etc.
    Additional functions (housing, guild, messaging, banking, crafting, etc)

I'm alright with additional cosmetics, exp/gold/drop boosters, pets that are just for looting/show/auto collect, name/server/changes, etc. Plenty of people use that stuff enough for the company to make money off of it. That other stuff is just greed and turns decent games into crappy ones.

I'd rather P2P a game than spend money on Micro Transactions.
    Last edited by Kashis; 12-13-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaris View Post
    So, as long as you can get it for "free", they can sell GM like weapons for like...500$ that oneshot anything but that would still be fine since you can still get it by grinding ten years
    Rohan just came to my mind... Just because they give you a way to get it ingame doesn't mean it will be "balanced".

A cash shop is fine as long as it's convenience and cosmetics. It's stops being convenience and cosmetics if it unbalances the game or "forces" people to buy certain stuff (we all know those games which leave you with a tiny inventory that gets filled uppon looting a dozen of corpses or with quest/craft/junk items, that's certainly not reasonable to me unless it's the only non cosmetical thing for sale).

An example of great cash shop is Path of Exile, probably the most fair cash shop on a F2P mmo.
    i like it this way cause usually when a game has something like that it becomes very easy to abuse and if you know how to take advantage of it you can be sitting on stockpiles of cash shop money without much effort, which gives you an immense advantage over dirty peasants with no grasp of how the game market works ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 11

Just play a p2p game. Problem solved. You'll will waste like 10-15 per month and thats it!

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 29

Quote Originally Posted by prettietim View Post
    Just play a p2p game. Problem solved. You'll will waste like 10-15 per month and thats it!
    Agreed, I've played so many games that are f2p and honestly 90% of them are just p2w.. really didn't like the whole p2p model before but now I can see it's much better compared to most f2p games out there.

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 91

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    I'd like to note that GW2 is pretty much "pay2win" in terms of PVP Gear and the like. The game allows you to directly transfer real world money (Gems) into in-game currency. Much like Perfect World International.

What games need to do to not be pay2win is follow the OP's advice, AND make sure they never have the items tradable AND not have a real money <> in-game money system. Lock boxes also need to go, random chance to get an epic statted equip is still pay2win. (See Angels Online) If the pets/etc. don't have good stats, then I agree with the OP on premium pets/etc. But otherwise, no.
    Except not. Unless we're talking WvW, in which case that person who bought 100s of dollars in gems ain't gonna do shit against a zerg without his or her server being on par with the enemy server. Even then, exotics are dirt cheap even for someone who has never bought from the gem shop, the next tier is Ascended. Ascended is a pure luxury item, while it does have (in truth minor) stats advantages over exotic, it is time gated and the stat boosts are not enough to help a bad player suck less.

sPVP? Try again, gold translates to "not worth a crap" in sPVP.
    Last edited by Akeras; 12-14-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Quote Originally Posted by prettietim View Post
    If you invest 10-15€ a month into an F2P MMORPG, you will dominate over most players anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12