What should be in the cash shop?

Hybrid View

Fat Bowser Reputation: 31

Default What should be in the cash shop?

With almost every new game with micro-transactions I see people upset that certain items are cash-shop only. I've seen the worry of cash shops ruin tons of games before they are even played. And if you think a "cosmetics only" cash shop has any sort of profitability u are sorely mistaken. It only works in games where looking good is the goal, and there aren't many of those types of games.

What exactly is acceptable to sell? (giving that the pricing is also fair)

For my experience these are the cash shop items I approve and disapprove of:

Yes
    Lock boxes
    Cosmetic options
    Skill resets depending on the game
    Bank/storage/inventory space
    Premium pets/creatures/mounts assuming normal ones can get gotten in-game
    Resurrection scrolls
    Experience boosts

No
    Pets/creatures/mounts that can only be obtained through cash shop
    Anything skill related
    Endgame gear
    Gear protection that's guaranteed to protect something when upgrading/reinforcing
    Stat/damage boosts

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Stat/damage boosts are fine on PvE games, or if the boosts only take effect when fighting mobs. On PvP, yeah, that's a total deal breaker.

From my own experience, I would say GW2 cash shop is pretty balanced.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Stat/damage boosts are fine on PvE games, or if the boosts only take effect when fighting mobs. On PvP, yeah, that's a total deal breaker.

Agreed, in the sense of a MMORPG, GW2 has one of the best cash shops I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 120

Cosmetics, anything beyond that HAS to be obtainable through playing the game IMO. i'm personally i pretty big fan of Tera's cash shop since its all tradeable and prices are reasonable at endgame, hell even while leveling i was able to afford 100% xp boosts through gold whenever i wanted to grind.

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 47

To me it doesn't matter what is in the cash shop as long as it is tradeable or obtainable without real life money. People who pay should only be paying for time. My problem with cash shops is that most things are horribly overpriced since it's not like they're selling tangible goods.

A Shrubbery Reputation: 76

End game gear and mats for end game Stuf so the BOTS GET WHAT THEY WONA !

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Core gameplay elements should never be linked to a cash shop IMO.

That includes:
    Storage space
    Character slots
    Crafting boosters/enhancements/safeguards
    Additional characters
    Additional skill trees/slots/weapon choices, etc.
    Additional functions (housing, guild, messaging, banking, crafting, etc)

I'm alright with additional cosmetics, exp/gold/drop boosters, pets that are just for looting/show/auto collect, name/server/changes, etc. Plenty of people use that stuff enough for the company to make money off of it. That other stuff is just greed and turns decent games into crappy ones.

I'd rather P2P a game than spend money on Micro Transactions.
    Last edited by Kashis; 12-13-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post

I'd like to note that GW2 is pretty much "pay2win" in terms of PVP Gear and the like. The game allows you to directly transfer real world money (Gems) into in-game currency. Much like Perfect World International.

What games need to do to not be pay2win is follow the OP's advice, AND make sure they never have the items tradable AND not have a real money <> in-game money system. Lock boxes also need to go, random chance to get an epic statted equip is still pay2win. (See Angels Online) If the pets/etc. don't have good stats, then I agree with the OP on premium pets/etc. But otherwise, no.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next Saving For: PlayStation 4

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 91

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    I'd like to note that GW2 is pretty much "pay2win" in terms of PVP Gear and the like. The game allows you to directly transfer real world money (Gems) into in-game currency. Much like Perfect World International.

What games need to do to not be pay2win is follow the OP's advice, AND make sure they never have the items tradable AND not have a real money <> in-game money system. Lock boxes also need to go, random chance to get an epic statted equip is still pay2win. (See Angels Online) If the pets/etc. don't have good stats, then I agree with the OP on premium pets/etc. But otherwise, no.
    Except not. Unless we're talking WvW, in which case that person who bought 100s of dollars in gems ain't gonna do shit against a zerg without his or her server being on par with the enemy server. Even then, exotics are dirt cheap even for someone who has never bought from the gem shop, the next tier is Ascended. Ascended is a pure luxury item, while it does have (in truth minor) stats advantages over exotic, it is time gated and the stat boosts are not enough to help a bad player suck less.

sPVP? Try again, gold translates to "not worth a crap" in sPVP.
    Last edited by Akeras; 12-14-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.