Greatest scandal you know of in your mmos?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    General Manager Reputation: 330

Surprised no one mentioned yet the Maplestory mass guild hack that occurred roughly 2 years after launch.

An entire team of hackers learned how to insert themselves into a faction and kick the guild leader, permanently removing any control function the guild had. They hit nearly every major guild in 4 of the 6 or so servers that existed at the time including my own. Nexon never offered compensation to anyone and the dead factions remained atop the guild ranking boards for years.
    I’d rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Game Journalist Reputation: 346

I have a couple from Snail... well more than a couple...

The first was the initial mass bannings that were handed out to nearly anyone that traded more than a couple of ding (a high amount of money). This was because they had implemented an automated system meant to catch people who bought ding from websites... Of course, this was at the same time they they completely stopped trying to ban/kick the massive amount of gold spammers and botters. So it ended up punishing a lot of legit players, specifically the high-end players. It was weeks before they got thru and unbanned those that didn't deserve it.

Later on, bots that were using a hack program to teleport around for script-stealing and kidnapping were rampant. It was so bad at one point that the scripts in the script stealing events would disappear within minutes and only a few legit players could get some. Same story for the kidnapping... The bots would teleport around, kidnap a player, and then teleport away. Normally, other players would have a chance to stop them but because they were teleporting, we could do nothing. The only thing we could do was watch as these bots appeared out of thin air, kidnapped someone, and then teleport in the blind of an eye. This meant that there was next to no players to kidnap. Kidnapping was one of the best ways for people to get unbound liang (used to trade with other players), so this was devastating to the economy. Both of these went on for weeks and weeks, and by the time I ended up quitting the game, they were still going on.

Now onto my personal experiences. The first was when my Blue Dragon character was hacked and had all my gold (cash shop money) and liang stolen from my account. The hacker used the mail system to transfer the money to his characters, so it was extremely evident who did it. However, when I contacted support, they told me they could do nothing because account security is my job and that their servers hadn't been hacked or some nonsense. Which I find hard to believe, as after literally a decade of playing MMOs, my Age of Wushu account is the only account I've ever had hacked. I don't share accounts, I don't save my passwords on my computer, and I run a pretty tight ship on my computer so I highly doubt there's a keylogger or anything (or my paypal and/or bank account would be compromised by now). The only explenation I can come up with is that they somehow got hacked and players account info was leaked... because the massive amount of hacking going on in that game was astounding.

Another personal experience, Snail accidentally gave a ton of players gold. Some players got banned/charged for the gold they used, while others who did not use the gold simply had it removed from their account. Their method to find out if players received the gold and to remove it? To log onto each players account individually, check the account, and then MAIL the gold. Besides the fact that this seems fishy as you can possibly can get, they did an extremely poor job of it all.

My personal experience with this happened during a Guild War. These Guild Wars are scheduled for the same exact time each and every day, so there should be no confusion as to when one is going on. Now, during one of my guilds Guild Wars, my account was logged into by a GM. There was no warning, no PM beforehand, he just logged on to a Guild Leaders account right in the middle of a guild war. I quickly changed my password and logged back into my account, only to have a GM finally PM me and tell me what was going on and then tell me that he would lock me out of my account if I tried to log back into it before 5 minutes was up or something along those lines. What I don't understand is why they would do this during such an important event that they themselves set the times for? It was annoying, to say the least.

And last, but not least, is the massive amount of tell spam you would get. If you were a guild leader, or vice leader, or someone who was known to lead troops in battle, you would almost always get tell spam. For some reason, the AoW tell system will make you lag a massive amount if you don't clear your messages every minute or so. If you didn't have a great computer, it would basically completely log down your game. If you did have a decent computer, it would give you nearly game-breaking lag. I've got a video of this during a Guild War on my youtube channel. I can't find it at the moment, unfortunately. But, due to the fact that in-game support was basically non-existent in Age of Wushu, there was no chance to have the person spamming you banned.

The botting/hacking issue ended up getting so bad that players started to hold in-game protest, hoping that Snail would finally do something. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if they did :/

That's all I got, except for the obvious/well-known scandals.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[1/25]----------(New Post! ArcheAge!)[3/7]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Natalia-chan! My waifu! Reputation: 551

Quote Originally Posted by Horrible View Post
    Also, that one on EVE about that guild that got infiltrated, blueprints stolen and ships destroyed, you know, it is well known even nowadays
    Pfft... Scandal.

https://truestories.eveonline.com/tr...-brothers.html

Have fun.

I owe Loric everything I have.
    No I don't.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    Greatest scandal you know of in your mmos?
    Jita (blow up everyone's storage and then sell stuff at high price)
    market manipulation of mod fap in Entropia (and getting players banned for market manipulation) - kiting and overpricing are both bannable offenses in this game
    I would also Evony and Scarlet Blade advertising campaigns a scandal
    Entire guilds getting mass-banned in Guild Wars 2 (instead of getting roll-backed) for being ordered to exploit NPCs or dynamic events

It's interesting how in my eyes, most scandals are mass-bans or bad PR from the game publishers... But in EVE Online, anything goes (though the people who made $175,000 in the Inferno exploit did have their accounts rolled-back).

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Now, during one of my guilds Guild Wars, my account was logged into by a GM. There was no warning, no PM beforehand, he just logged on to a Guild Leaders account right in the middle of a guild war. I quickly changed my password and logged back into my account, only to have a GM finally PM me and tell me what was going on and then tell me that he would lock me out of my account if I tried to log back into it before 5 minutes was up or something along those lines.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    Beautiful. Wow. Read it twice.
    Last edited by Phenoca; 12-19-2013 at 10:13 AM.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 29

I could list a few from my days playing Ragnarok on a few popular private servers but I don't think this is the forum for that :P

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 69

I had a strong feeling that I would see ApocaRUFF's post on Age of Wushu.

Known League of Legends player, XJ9, posted a naked picture of his girlfriend as a revenge because she played a character that he did not like. Now I don't feel bad quitting that game almost a year ago.

Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 38

Most scandalous endeavour by far, one of my guildmates and childhood friend played a Ragnarok private server called Earthbound Ragnarok (EbRO), and after about the 3rd server reset due to duping, in the lower population stages of the server he and a few of my guildies cultivated essentially every useful MVP card and dominated the server,

now one of the server creators made a "legit" account, to combat my guildies, which was obviously not legit, arguments ensued, and eventually my buddy says "I have pictures of your girlfriend naked" (his girlfriend was a quite promiscuous ebRO veteran), the server creator says "Ha if you have them send them to me", my buddy sends him the pictures and gets permabanned lol

But it doesnt end there, because essentially if ebRO credits were a stock, my buddy owned about 60%, so when he was banned he made arrangements with his bank to get his money back, and the withdrawl of literally thousands of dollars spent on credits caused the server to collapse financially and shut down. it is currently back up (i guess recently) and has 1 member online haha, it used to have thousands a few years back

www.eb-ro.com btw haha

before that, when i played MapleSEA back in middle school, i remember Tiger was so revered in the community, being #1 by a long shot, got banned for hacking
    Leagues of Legends:The Disciple (US)

Steam:The Otterpus

Game Journalist Reputation: 346

Quote Originally Posted by M1nGs3N4yuk1 View Post
    I had a strong feeling that I would see ApocaRUFF's post on Age of Wushu.
    Sorry :P But I was having so much fun in that game, and then bit by bit it was ruined for me and a bunch of others. I'm so angry about the whole thing :/
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[1/25]----------(New Post! ArcheAge!)[3/7]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 69

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Sorry :P But I was having so much fun in that game, and then bit by bit it was ruined for me and a bunch of others. I'm so angry about the whole thing :/
    Don't be sorry. We're on the same page here and I quit due to the same reason. My guildsmate are still playing and I'm still the inactive member of honor. Lol

Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 55

All I can remember is when I played Vindictus my Guild Leader and the co-leader started dating and then they added some high ranked guy in and would only sit in the private mic-chat rooms and completely ignore us, while the new guy would act completely corrupt and bully us and they just stayed in their own secluded little group.

All my friends left and drama ensued once the leader was confronted. I soon quit after because the community I played with became really cliquey once the leader stopped caring.
    ||(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧||

Playing:
    A bunch of 2013 games I missed.
    TERA: MT - Qewpid - Inactive
    TalesRunner: Phaun - CB tester[/FONT]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast