Thread: The Best Book Series (IMO)

Game Journalist Reputation: 64

Default The Best Book Series (IMO)

Raymond Feist's books have kept me entertained since my childhood. If you are a fan of fantasy books then you have to check out his work. Here's some info: http://www.crydee.com/

You can easily pick up the first book on Amazon or a local used book store for dirt cheap and I promise, once you start reading the series you won't want to stop until the end. He started this series back in 1982 and the last book in the series just came out not to long ago (if it's out already).

I've read all the way up to the first book in the last series and, as of right now, I'm re-reading the series. Has anyone else read any of his work? You will want to read them in order because some of the character appear throughout the entire series. Some character die of old age but some of the magicians (also one of the main characters) is still alive. This series has action, magic romance and is one of the best read's a sci-fi fantasy fan could ask for.
    Currently Playing: Paladins, Fallout 4 Random Steam Games

What the hell is a Pwarp?

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328

my favourite series is the lord of the rings. i'm sure you've probably never heard of it.

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

Right now my favorite is the Temeraire series. The first book is called His Majesty's Dragon.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 258

1. Discworld
    2. Otherland

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328

the Discworld series is brilliant, especially Night Watch :]

i also love the Witcher series of books. here's a copypasted paragraph or two i wrote to kitty about them:

"...you should check out the witcher books. they're not entirely translated into english yet, but you can find mobi or epub versions of The Last Wish, the Blood of Elves and The Time of Contempt *shifty eyes* you know, around. and there are *tilts head* mm, fairly good fan translations of the other books from polish into english. you can probably skip straight to Blood of Elves and then backtrack later, tbh.

anyways, the reason i think you'd like them is they're dark/sort of low fantasy with a postmodern touch. kind of like a way better shrek with lots of fvcking and swearing and emotion and racism and murder, i guess? also, in addition to the titular witcher, there's a second main character, his adopted daughter, sort of, Ciri, who comes of age over the stories, and is probably one of my favourite characters ever.

oh also you like cosplay right. here's someone cosplaying her and another character

"
    Last edited by postrook; 12-22-2013 at 03:53 AM.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

It's damn hard to find a good fantasy book for an adult.
    Fantasy books are usually watered down for "young adults," neck deep in "romance," or just dull.

I was reading the Sword of Truth series but by book 5 it has become very painful.
    I just bought the Complete Conan Saga for Kindle for like $3. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    It's damn hard to find a good fantasy book for an adult.
    Fantasy books are usually watered down for "young adults," neck deep in "romance," or just dull.

I was reading the Sword of Truth series but by book 5 it has become very painful.
    I just bought the Complete Conan Saga for Kindle for like $3. So far so good.
    The Feist series is aimed for Adults thankfully.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    my favourite series is the lord of the rings. i'm sure you've probably never heard of it.

Lord of the Rings is the novel equivalent of Dragonball Z.

It's so stupid and meandering BUT GOD DAMMIT I NEED MORE.

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

Banned Reputation: 302

Sailor Moon

Retired Staff Reputation: 75

I read Feist in High School, and I liked it, but it didn't grip me insanely, so I just read the magician duology, and then dropped it.

Was never able to get into LOTR either. I tried, believe me. Just couldn't make my way through it.

Discworld is super awesome, but it's a different feel form most fantasy. I like it, and I've still read most of them, but it just doesn't feel the same, so I'm not going to put it up amongst my absolute favourites.

However, in terms of current awesomeness being awesome, but with potential awesomeness being even more awesome (to the point where it'll be the greatest series ever written, in my opinion); I'm going with Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere serieses (of Mistborn/Way of Kings/Warbreaker/Elantris fame).

All his fantasy is pretty damn fantastic; though I haven't read his completion of Wheel of Time. However, it gets even crazier when you realize that all his adult fantasy books (minus WoT) share the same universe, and if you look closely, you can see characters from one series/world on another, and there's a larger overarching story being told behind the scenes, spread over many books. And he's super prolific; churning a couple (high-quality, nevertheless) books a year, which is nice change from someone like Martin.

Scott Lynch may be up there with his Gentleman Bastards sequence, but we'll see where that goes. Ditto Rothfuss.

Also, when I was younger, I absolutely loved David Eddings. Still do. But he's not my top anymore.
    Last edited by Eriond; 12-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 156

Quote Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
    Discworld is super awesome, but it's a different feel form most fantasy. I like it, and I've still read most of them, but it just doesn't feel the same, so I'm not going to put it up amongst my absolute favourites.

However, in terms of current awesomeness being awesome, but with potential awesomeness being even more awesome (to the point where it'll be the greatest series ever written, in my opinion); I'm going with Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere serieses (of Mistborn/Way of Kings/Warbreaker/Elantris fame).

All his fantasy is pretty damn fantastic; though I haven't read his completion of Wheel of Time. However, it gets even crazier when you realize that all his adult fantasy books (minus WoT) share the same universe, and if you look closely, you can see characters from one series/world on another, and there's a larger overarching story being told behind the scenes, spread over many books. And he's super prolific; churning a couple (high-quality, nevertheless) books a year, which is nice change from someone like Martin.

Scott Lynch may be up there with his Gentleman Bastards sequence, but we'll see where that goes. Ditto Rothfuss.

Also, when I was younger, I absolutely loved David Eddings. Still do. But he's not my top anymore.
    +1 Mistborn was amazing, and Way of kings is probably one of my favorite, but Idk if I would classify them as a series.
    Holyshiz you read/like exactly the same books i do!

Gentleman Bastards was good, and I also like Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series, but right now my absolute fav series is by Patrick Rothfuss's KingKiller chronicle. Absolutely brilliant writing

I read Feist in High School, and I liked it, but it didn't grip me insanely, so I just read the magician duology, and then dropped it.

Was never able to get into LOTR either. I tried, believe me. Just couldn't make my way through it.

They get much better after that series. They were the first in the series but aren't anywhere close to the best.

I've heard a lot about David Eddings so I'll probably pick up one of his books next week. Any suggestions on where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwarp View Post
    They get much better after that series. They were the first in the series but aren't anywhere close to the best.

I've heard a lot about David Eddings so I'll probably pick up one of his books next week. Any suggestions on where to start?
    David Eddings seems to be the kind of guy who you either love or hate. I happen to be part of the former category. You can basically start in one of two places; Pawn of Prophecy, which is the first of his 10-book Belgariad/Mallorean series, or The Diamond Throne, which is part of his 6-book Elenium/Tamuli series. I'm obviously the kind of guy who loves the serieses (my username's actually a character from the Mallorean).

What you should understand going in, is that, depsite the fact that they don't overtly look like young-adult fantasy (i.e. they have normal page counts, and font size), they very much are, and the Belgariad/Mallorean were written with the mind of shoving literally every trope known to fantasy into one book, and playing pretty much all of them all straight, and seeing if he could still make a publishable book out of it. So while the story is very simplistic, the world itself is relatively deep. There's no real twist and turns, since it's made up of all the normal fantasy cliches, but honestly, the camaraderie is fantastic in both serieses, and despite the lack of surprises, it's still a rich, enjoyable world.

Elenium and Tamuli are a bit less cliche, but it's still the same basic story wrapped up in a new form. But, if you liked the other series, you'll probably like this one, for the exact same reasons.

Also, I forgot to mention L.E. Modesitt Jr. Love him. He wrote a still-continuing 18 book epic fantasy series (Saga of Recluce), and a few others, but I'm mainly a Recluce guy. Usually structured as separate duologies that jump around the timeline, the books cover about 1800 years of history, from the mythical pre-fall ages of the early series, to basically the end of the central series conflict. The stories are somewhat derivative of each other (though the original premise is good), and he has some quirks in his writing that put some people off, but I can't honestly say I've ever not enjoyed any one of his books. That being said, they range from OK+, to some of the more awesome I've read (not up to Rothfuss/Sanderson level, but close).

Quote Originally Posted by ZormaX View Post
    +1 Mistborn was amazing, and Way of kings is probably one of my favorite, but Idk if I would classify them as a series.
    Holyshiz you read/like exactly the same books i do!

Gentleman Bastards was good, and I also like Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series, but right now my absolute fav series is by Patrick Rothfuss's KingKiller chronicle. Absolutely brilliant writing
    Aww yeah. First law was good; haven't read the new stand-alones yet, though. To be honest, I tried to read best served cold and didn't finish. Dunno what's wrong with me, considering I likes the first trilogy.

* Minor Cosmere Spoilers for Mistborn/Way of Kings/Elantris Follow (Highlight to Read)*

But yeah; as for the series thing. Noticed that Hoid (Wit) is in all of them? Noticed that in Way of Kings, the second flavour text at the top is actually referencing some stuff that happened in Mistborn? Also, if you pay really close attention, you can see Demoux (the Captain from Mistborn) appearing in Way of Kings. It's a series. Just an extremely long-range and as-yet, vaguely interconnected one, with some characters who have the ability to worldhop, for good reasons. Perk up whenever Adonalsium is mentioned (Sazed talks about it, and you may remember that Wit tries to see if Dalinar knows anything about it). Also, if you read Elantris, you may notice it didn't have too many god-like entities floating around. There's a good reason for this; Odium got there first and splintered them.
    Last edited by Eriond; 12-22-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131

50 Shades of Whatever. WINK. WINK.

Alternately, I'm a sucker for Grimdark sci-fi it seems.

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 125

any books on cannibalism ^^

i forget the name of this one book i read a few years ago online that told how to cut and prepare the human body for dinner. what parts are the best choice for meat and such. and i very good and detailed guide on how to cut the human body and etc

its not that i am a sick person its just that i have a very morbid curiosity and love reading any thing about death and the extreme. any thing that some dont dare to venture into. but you may call me crazy if you wish to do so ^^
    Last edited by duby; 12-23-2013 at 06:07 AM.

$$$

Man I wish I had the attention span to get big into a series. I don't think I've been super captivated by a series since I was a kid. If I'm reading about the same characters in the same universe in the same continuous story for too long I almost always get distracted and start reading something completely different. I guess that's why I prefer short stories and novellas and poetry and stuff over super long epic novels most of the time.

Scott Lynch may be up there with his Gentleman Bastards sequence, but we'll see where that goes.
    I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora right now. I really dig the premise but the way the dude writes seems really stale to me. Plus the dialogue seems really weak and I can never get past bad dialogue. I only just started it though so I might get into it more as I read more.

Also since we're talking about fantasy, my favorite fantasy novel ever is The Once and Future King by T.H. White. I can never recommend that thing enough. It's only sort of kind of a series, it's all published together as one book. It's not exactly high fantasy either, but oh man is it good. It's so hilariously funny and witty and charming and devastatingly sad at the same time. If you like reading good books you should totes read it.
    Last edited by $$$; 12-23-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    Man I wish I had the attention span to get big into a series. I don't think I've been super captivated by a series since I was a kid. If I'm reading about the same characters in the same universe in the same continuous story for too long I almost always get distracted and start reading something completely different. I guess that's why I prefer short stories and novellas and poetry and stuff over super long epic novels most of the time.

I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora right now. I really dig the premise but the way the dude writes seems really stale to me. Plus the dialogue seems really weak and I can never get past bad dialogue. I only just started it though so I might get into it more as I read more.

Also since we're talking about fantasy, my favorite fantasy novel ever is The Once and Future King by T.H. White. I can never recommend that thing enough. It's only sort of kind of a series, it's all published together as one book. It's not exactly high fantasy either, but oh man is it good. It's so hilariously funny and witty and charming and devastatingly sad at the same time. If you like reading good books you should totes read it.
    To each his own, I guess. I thought Lies was the best of the three that are currently out, so if you don't enjoy that one, I'd say just drop the series. Everyone's got their own tastes, and I know plenty of people who aren't partial to Locke .

Definitely heard of Once and Future King, though; I'll keep an eye out for it when I do my rounds in my favorite second hand book stores. Silly thing is still copyrighted apparently, despite being half a century old, and very obviously a classic. Argh! Damn you, massively overinflated copyright terms, despite the fact that the author died half a century ago :\.
    Last edited by Eriond; 12-23-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    THIS MA SIGNATURE

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

Another vote for LOTR from me. I reread it every few years.

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131

Am I seriously the only person here that reads 40k what the hell OnRPG. WHAT THE HELL!?

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 416

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i forget the name of this one book i read a few years ago online that told how to cut and prepare the human body for dinner. what parts are the best choice for meat and such. and i very good and detailed guide on how to cut the human body and etc
    Is it the one from the Simpsons Halloween special?

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Avarance View Post
    Is it the one from the Simpsons Halloween special?
    no ^^ i dont watch the simpsons

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    any books on cannibalism ^^

its not that i am a sick person its just that i have a very morbid curiosity and love reading any thing about death and the extreme. any thing that some dont dare to venture into. but you may call me crazy if you wish to do so ^^

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

Quote Originally Posted by Lefos View Post
    Am I seriously the only person here that reads 40k what the hell OnRPG. WHAT THE HELL!?
    No you're not. Recently finished the Horus Heresy, will grab some others after xmas.