Mech Warrior Online

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 21

Default Mech Warrior Online

I haven't been on this part of the forum in a while .. Use to be on here all the time.

Anyways im thinking about buying myself an alienware laptop and was wondering who here played mechwarrior online ?
    do you like it? & if you could give me some intel on the game

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 21

bump/10char

Rock Man Reputation: 2

i dont think many pll play that game
    i try it bevore grapics are nice but am not rely a fan of FPS

i only no aura kingdom is a big hype atm
    for me i play Rift and Vindictus to buy time til Black Desert come to EU

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

I played MWO and enjoyed it quite a lot. I kind of stopped playing, though, as I am waiting for the conquest/campaign stuff to be added to the game. Right now (unless they already updated it... I haven't checked on it in about a month), it's basically you choose a mech, set up its loadout, and then go into a fight to get rewards to repeat the process. Quite fun, but can get repetitive/tedious after a while. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on in the clan scene (I believe there's even an interest map conquest-type league that goes on), however I never got deep into it. The closest I ever got to team play was playing a guy that I met on a twitch stream and his buddies late in the night a few times.

The game will definitely fill your mech fix if that's what you're looking for. Between Hawken and MWO, I prefer MWO. However, they both offer a different experience. Hawken offers the quick, high-maneuverability mechs kinda similar to what you find in the Gundam anime series, but with more Western designs. MWO, on the other hand, is more like a tank on legs... combat is more tactical and strategy than twitch/reflexes.

I did do a launch review for the game, which can be found in my signature. I go a bit more into detail about the game and what I liked/disliked about it. I'll end up playing the game again once they add more competitive stuff to do, as well as the campaign/conquest stuff I mentioned.

About the population, last I played the game had a huge population. Even late at night I was able to get into games within a matter of seconds. During prime times, you will click the play button and find yourself loading into a match almost instantly. MechWarrior has a massive fandom that is incredibly dedicated. Many people are frustrated with how long it's taking promised features to get into the game, but they still love MechWarrior.

The only real alternative to this game, if you're a MechWarrior fan, is the MechWarrior: Living Legends mod for Crysis Wars, but that's nearly dead nowadays. I have trouble finding games outside of pre-planned events on that. If you're OK with a small population, and having to buy Crysis Wars, I would suggest playing MWLL just so you can compare the two. One of my favorite features in MWLL is that you can actually get in and out of your mech and move around/fight that way. Also, it has tanks and jets as well, so it's a lot more intense/fun when you get a full game. Also, the maps are bigger. Honestly, the only two places MWO has something over MWLL are population and graphics quality. Other than that, MWLL blows MWO out of the water.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 12-24-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Fun game. Then I went back to World of Tanks. Cuz... WINNAGE!!! 'k im done
    Last edited by Phenoca; 12-24-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Fun game. Then I went back to World of Tanks. Cuz... WINNAGE!!! 'k im done
    I've been ignoring that anime for the longest time because I figured it'd be a gimmick slice-of-life harem gag failure, but that vid is making me have second thoughts :P
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

I think it's a gimmick slice-of-life harem gag. Except with tanks instead of boys.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.