Upgradizzle PC Fizzle.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Default Upgradizzle PC Fizzle.

So yeah, I thought I was gonna have to start from scratch, but its looking like my dad will be giving me his old PC. If nothing else, I'll have a case and power supply to start with

What will y'all need to know about it when I get it to tell me which parts are compatible and how to upgrade? I should probably have it Sunday afternoon if all goes according to plan. I don't mind putting a couple hundred into it... I'm not really looking to do any gaming on it, maybe some indie stuff which typically isn't resource heavy. Anything I can get on consoles will be bought for consoles still.

I won't need HD output, http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-x20LED/16472508 that is the monitor I have.

I would like wireless in favor of the ethernet it probably has...do they still make those USB dongles for that? Better alternatives?

Any suggestions on a keyboard or mouse? It doesn't need to have over 9000 buttons for gaming, nor does it need to be wireless. Don't need something super fancy, but I do likes me some hotkeys.

Is Windows 8 or Windows 7 better? I like Windows 7, but I'm not opposed to finding myself an upgrade.

Sorry to be so dumb. I haven't had my own PC for like 3 years. I don't know anything about it, and won't until Sunday. I know it was built in like '06 - and it was a ****ing beast back then...like, probably one of the best PCs I had seen at the time. I realize that was a long time ago haha.

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 572

Built in 2006 means that the parts of said pc won't work at all with the new parts. :/
    Computer parts age HORRIBLY.

Now... what's your budget? Because without it, we can say this and that and be miles away from the best priceerformance ratio. :/

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Awww man. I was hoping I could just sink some cash in and be all set.

I was planning on spending like $400 for the whole thing, and I was hoping already having hard drives and a case and other necessities I could cut it in half lol. I'll probably just end up getting some ram for it and calling it a day if its not very upgradeable.

Will post specs if someone tells me how to find them. Still planning on having it Sunday afternoon.

Download CPU-Z, take screenshots of the CPU, Mainboard, Memory and Graphics tab.
    As for your PSU, you need to take off the sidepanel and take a picture of the info on the side of the PSU (like pictured here).

OK. The hard drives are tiny lol and there were a few things wrong with it, but its working alright. Even if I can only get some RAM for it I think it should work for what I need...I have a laptop HDD I'll probably get an adapter for to put it in.

Here are the screenshots you wanted...

It is actually fairly snappy, as far as regular use goes. I haven't tried to edit any videos or play any games though. Painkiller: Overdose was in the disc drive (thanks dad! haha). Like I said, I don't need it to be crazy good, but I wouldn't mind putting a few hundo in if it'll make it markedly better. I don't need help with the installation (got a bro for that) but if you could link me to some stuff on newegg or something that might help I'd really appreciate it.

Socket 939?
    Well... that only needs you to get a new motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu and hdd. PSU is probably fine but it having 8 years of age, I wouldn't risk it.

They do not sell any of these parts anymore. If you do, expect very very nice prices. Second hand parts are probably overlooked since and should not be trusted.

TL;DR - http://i.imgur.com/0bSltOk.gif
    Other people will confirm this. Old games will be OK, games from about 2008 and up will not.

Rofl. Ah well.

Edit: can ya link me to some ram? I'd like to get a few 1 gig sticks. Idono what kind I need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226081

I can not guarantee this memory stick will work, as Asus does not have the page and thus specs for said motherboard anymore.