Sandbox Games

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Default Sandbox Games

I am looking for a decent multiplayer sandbox game. Sub genre(Zombie Survival, Racing, Action, etc...) isn't super important.
    I just want to be able to explore and play with friends with few restrictions.

PC Only. Any pay model is fine. I am not a huge fan of voxel games with low quality graphics.

I already have:
    GTA San Andreas and IV
    Just Cause 2
    Test Drive Unlimited 2
    Terraria
    Infestation Survivor Stories
    Xsyon

Thanks.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 12-27-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 12

DayZ
    APB Reloaded

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Entropia Universe hands down.

Depending on sub genra you may choose which planet you start on. But they are all available once you start. If zombies is your thing then I'd suggest Rocktropia and skill up a bit to take down the new boss "Zombie Kong" they are still balancing the spawning method but its been a lot of fun the first few spawning so far.

The sandbox maps are huge though and after five years of playing I still haven't seen all the dark corners of the universe.

If you do decide to play add me in game and I'll help out with the learning curve whenever needed.

EntropiaPlanets - Fan Site I am involved with
    Entropia Wiki

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Wurm Online (I'm currently playing)

Mortal Online (Played in the past)

DayZ (Currently playing)

Do you want multiplayer? Or is single player fine?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

I've been looking into DayZ. It looks like it will be a top game later in development.
    Despite it's current issues I will still probably buy it soon.

I have played APB Reloaded for around 1000 hours. It's one of those games where the developers don't really care about game quality and never really update it other than cash shop items. With the small 1sq mile maps and limited content I'm done with APB.(until a major update )

Entropia Universe? I REALLY want to like this game but can't really get past the fact that the "real money market" is VERY reliant on buying things that can not be made by players. Other than that great concept and fun game.

I'll look into Wurm later tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I am still open to more.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post

Entropia Universe? I REALLY want to like this game but can't really get past the fact that the "real money market" is VERY reliant on buying things that can not be made by players. Other than that great concept and fun game.
    I'm not following you there.... The ONLY things that can be bought from the devs are the very lowest lvl beginner gear and bullets (well probes for mining, but thats a similar concept to bullets)

Everything you buy in the game is bought from other players. They either looted it from creatures, dug it out of the ground themselves, or manufactured it from loot and minerals that they either got from mobs and dug out of the ground or purchased from those who did.

*edit*
    Don't take my word for it though, check out these lists,

http://www.entropedia.info/Chart.aspx?chart=Weapon <----------- all/most of the weapons in game
    http://www.entropedia.info/Chart.aspx?chart=Armor <---------- all/most of the armor in game

on the right side of the charts is how they are obtained, TT stands for Trade Terminal which is the only stuff you buy from the devs, looted or crafted mean just that... that they are produced by other players through hunting or crafting.
    Last edited by Narfi Hungry Willem; 01-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Entropia Wiki

I'm not referring to equipment but tools. Probes, Scanners, Bullets...
    The entire system is based on basic tools that are non-crafted items.

They advertise the illusion that with effort you can make money but with sinks and taxes lots of people don't break even.
    Yes, I have looked into several hardcore players who actually keep spreadsheets for their assets.

I just don't like the idea of spending my money and working for something when the house has the odds stacked in their favor by such a large amount.

But if I have it wrong, I am open minded. Correct me.

I think you are right and wrong.
    (Im obviously a big fan of the game, so I suppose you can temper anything I say with that)

yes, Ammo/bullets/mining probes/etc... are purchased from the developers.
    yes, the odds are stacked in favor of the house. (if they were detailed, honest logs you were reading then it would have shown about 90% return rate)

If that is all you look at then your fears are correct. But that isn't the full picture, that is the platform that allows the economy to function as well as it does.

There is no inflation (from what I read inflation is a huge issue in alot of games)
    There is a much lower percentage of children or immature players (from what I read also a big issue in a majority of games)
    As great as it is, it is defiantly a 'niche' game, and players who love it LOVE it, and players who hate it, HATE it.

I am not sure who's logs you read, but if they were knowledgeable high lvl players, then they would have displayed not only their TT value return rate, but also their profit/loss after actually selling items.

A smart player can do his research and hunt creatures or mine areas that produce items or resources worth more than their base value.
    The game takes its percentage (lets assume 10% for ease of math) off of the base value.
    Say you go hunting with 100peds (10usd) and get the exact average back of 90ped (of course its never exact, sometimes higher, sometimes lower)

For the time you hunted you 'paid' 10ped or 1 dollar for your playing time.
    So you have 90ped base value worth of 'stuff' but if you can sell that 'stuff' for 111% then you are back up to exactly what you started with... 100ped (or 10usd)

This is a huge part of why I enjoy the game, it isnt easy, and it is very competitive. You are trying to corner the markets on nich recourses so that other players will pay you to play while they are doing exactly the same thing to you. If you are smart, and maybe even lucky, then you can do well, if you are dumb and try to play like a normal mmo, then you will do poorly.

Win or loose though, you can set your own budget and go at your own pace, so there really are alot of options.

My personal experience is that I played my first 6 months for free to learn the systems of the game untill I was confident enough of my enjoyment to start depositing some of my entertainment budget into it. Since then I have put in about 50usd a month, which is alot untill you consider its the only game I consider worth playing, and that I dont smoke, drink, do drugs, eat out, etc... that alot of people waste a LOT more a month on. I have done a one time withdrawl of 3300usd, which is more than I have put in and my avatar is currently worth close to 20k usd.

tldr: I have pulled out as much cash as I have put in, and could pull out 20k usd profit if I wanted to, because I took the time to understand the mechanics of the game and how important the economy is.

Entropia Wiki