Wurm Online

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Wurm Online

So, it's been a while since we've had a Wurm Online thread. I know a few OnRPGers, including myself, play/have played this game. The shortest description I can give the game is a medieval sandbox game with light-fantasy elements. You essentially play the role of someone that lives and exist within a medieval world where the gods are real and monsters roam the land (as well as normal animals). My favorite features in the game are the terraforming (you can literally take down or build mountains, if you want to put forth the time and effort), the building system (you can make huge, sprawling cities or tiny farms with a ranch house), and the simulated vegetation/tree system (trees, grass, flowers, etc... grows and spreads). New features and neat stuff are released at a decent rate, the next "big thing" to come out being bridges. The last massive update was the introduction of multistory buildings.

If you're interest in trying out the game, I can try and help you out by answering your questions. If you want to give the game a go and want some help starting, you are invited to join me in Minowick, the town I'm currently living in on the Serenity server, in the Epic Cluster. We're part of the Jenn-Kellon kingdom.Think of servers as continents, and Clusters as worlds. The Epic cluster is a PVP-enabled cluster with 2x skill gain and something called "the Curve" that basically doubles your effective skill (with 20 skill, you essentially have the equivalent of 40 skill on other servers).

I'll include more screenshots later on, but here are a few. You can also read my review of the game that I wrote earlier this year for a more-indepth look at the pros/cons, what it has to offer, etc...

My friend and I preparing to go on a hunt. He wasn't skilled enough for a horse, so he had to ride his trusty battle-cow.

This funny looking guy will be your best friend as a newbie. You'll be introduced to him in the tutorial and he will completely fill your food and thirst bar (yes, there is a hunger/thirst system in the game) for the first 24 hours you spend in the game.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Really tried to get into it a long time ago, when Cingal invited onRPGers to play with him and his friends but I simply couldn't get past the confusing controls ... I fell from a cliff while carrying a cart and called it a day.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 245

So, if we want to try the game, and are not interested in PVP what servers should we look for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    So, if we want to try the game, and are not interested in PVP what servers should we look for?
    theres pve ones. sadly do not rember them. i only played for i think a hour are so with apoca i quit because of free players skill cap

There's the Freedom Cluster, which only has one kingdom and PVP, griefing, etc... is not allowed. There are currently five(I think?) servers, or continents, within the Freedom cluster. One of these continents is PVP-enabled, like on Epic, so if you do decide you want to try out Wurm PVP at a later time, you can go there. That server is called Desertion. The first/main continent on the Freedom cluster is called Independence. However, the freedom cluster has regular skill gain and there is no curve... which means that it will take you at least double the amount of time to get to the same place you would be if you had played on Epic.

I should also mention that the way you get between servers within a cluster is by sailing on the various types of boats within the game. Or you can swim (but you're likely to drown). You get between cluster via the Epic Portals (which can be built by players), which can be used once an hour to teleport between cluster. However, characters on clusters are separate - that means if you skill up on Freedom and then go to Epic, your epic version of that character will start out brand new with no skills and will have to raise its skill up separately.

Even playing on the Epic servers you wont be exposed to PVP unless you purposely seek it out most of the time. The few times raiders do decide to go to Serenity, they are usually run off before they can do much more than kill a couple of newbies and some animals. For example, Minowick hasn't been raided for several months. In fact, the only time raiders have come close to our village was the other night, and they were completely obliterated by our forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Really tried to get into it a long time ago, when Cingal invited onRPGers to play with him and his friends but I simply couldn't get past the confusing controls ... I fell from a cliff while carrying a cart and called it a day.
    I actually participated in that. I had been playing the game for quite a long time (off and on) before that went on, and I decided to join in as I hadn't played the game in a while. I believe I still have a video of the "onRPG village" we had set up on my youtube channel as well. Unfortunately, the music on it was muted :/
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 245

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    One of these continents is PVP-enabled, like on Epic, so if you do decide you want to try out Wurm PVP at a later time, you can go there. That server is called Desertion.
    That's never going to happen ever, I hate PVP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

That's never going to happen ever, I hate PVP.
    There's 4-6 continents are have PVE only, with any type of PVP (be it griefing, killing/attacking, etc...) is not allowed.
    -Cingal

42 Reputation: 35

I know I've tried Wurm in the past before and I can't remember what all exactly turned me off but I do recall graphics being one of them (which typically isn't a huge issue for me - Ultima Online is still my favorite MMO of all time). I know the last time I checked into it they were doing a graphics overhaul. Do you know how well that is coming along? How about other systems, any improvements from say a year ago?