American Dialect Quiz

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 82

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    only sort of. i do think considering the way you talk normal and thinking everyone else has an accent is a little sketchy. everyone has an accent, there is no normal.
    It's not racist in the slightest. Racism is an actual dislike for a people based on their race. Racist comments are formed from this hatred and typically lack logic and truth.

I am referring to NA accents, not worldwide accents. "Normal" simply means the majority. Nor am I implying it's bad to not be the norm. A Spanish accent is normal for Spaniards, an English accent is normal for the English, etc.

The majority of NA residents whose first language is English speak normal, which is without an accent. An accent is a specific way of speaking. Pronunciation of certain words does not necessarily equate to an accent, although an accent CAN effect the pronunciation of a word. If I say tomato and tomata, my voice emphasis is not going to change, but the pronunciation is. Therefore, I do not have an accent just because I pronounced a word differently.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

in my experience no one thinks they have an accent. it's just everyone else who speaks weird.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 358

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 594
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    It's not racist in the slightest. Racism is an actual dislike for a people based on their race. Racist comments are formed from this hatred and typically lack logic and truth.

I am referring to NA accents, not worldwide accents. "Normal" simply means the majority. Nor am I implying it's bad to not be the norm. A Spanish accent is normal for Spaniards, an English accent is normal for the English, etc.

The majority of NA residents whose first language is English speak normal, which is without an accent. An accent is a specific way of speaking. Pronunciation of certain words does not necessarily equate to an accent, although an accent CAN effect the pronunciation of a word. If I say tomato and tomata, my voice emphasis is not going to change, but the pronunciation is. Therefore, I do not have an accent just because I pronounced a word differently.
    ok u right. just got the wrong impression from your post.

although racism doesn't always come from a place of hate. look at black history month, that's not negative or hateful or anything, but it's still mad racist IMO

although racism doesn't always come from a place of hate. look at black history month, that's not negative or hateful or anything, but it's still mad racist IMO
    How is Black History Month racist?

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 594
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    How is Black History Month racist?
    because it implies black people's history is different from everyone else's. it's discrimination based on skin color, which i'm pretty sure is the definition of racism

because it implies black people's history is different from everyone else's. it's discrimination based on skin color, which i'm pretty sure is the definition of racism
    If you want to view it that way. It's not discriminating anyone.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Rofl, if there were a white history month it'd be pretty racist though.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Seattle and Buffalo in dark red. Pretty good considering I used to live near both cities (in Canadia).

Also I can be racist without being hateful. Like when people discriminate against age is it because they hate teenagers or they just want to hire a more experienced employee?
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345