Hacker Group "Derp" Takes down multiple gaming Communities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 64

Default Hacker Group "Derp" Takes down multiple gaming Communities

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...ource=facebook

I was watching the stream the entire time. It was pretty wild. The Journalist, however, has it partially wrong. Phantom Lord actually told them to shut the servers down if he was loosing, and they agreed.

His stream currently says "Cops are at my door".

I wonder if/what trouble he will get into?
    Currently Playing: Dawngate, LoL, FFXIV, Random Steam Games

What the hell is a Pwarp?

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 82

I was too. I was peeved why I couldn't log into LoL so I went to the forum to see if I wasn't the only one. Saw a link to DERP's Twitter when it was at a mere 600 followers, and have been watching since.

I felt really disgusted that these guys were getting fame off of Phantom's stupid actions to facilitate their behavior, but at the same time I can sympathize with how he might have felt. I can imagine he was probably afraid of what they might have done, so he tried to play it off and act cool as if he was unaffected. His job is to stream, so he likely figured pretending to be amused would probably prevent his stream from being shut down. He went too far, though, and he indirectly supported them by continuing to give them exposure and communicate with them publicly.

If it were me, I would have likely shut down my stream and contacted higher authorities. I would not have given any public attention to the hackers. Now these douchebags will be plastered everywhere on the internet, just like this. They don't deserve recognition.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

Game Journalist Reputation: 64

They went from 600ish followers to over 12k now. I don't think he was effected by what they did, he was just playing along and thought it was funny. I don't think he should have went along with it either. He should have continued streaming, but not playing any games or accepting donations. Hopefully they don't make an example out of him but I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

OT: What level are you in League? I could use a duo partner sometimes. I'm only at Level 18-19 but steadily moving up.
    Currently Playing: Dawngate, LoL, FFXIV, Random Steam Games

What the hell is a Pwarp?

I disagree with your assessment. He was definitely affected. He blatantly stated he was nervous a couple of times, and I do believe he stated the word "scared" or "afraid" at one point, but I can't recall the exact context. I had suspected he was nervous and afraid before he vocally admitted it.

DERP was shutting down anything PL touched, so I don't feel it was far-fetched for him to feel the fear of "what next?" Hence why I feel he tried to play "neutral." I don't think he actually liked what he was doing, but didn't want to be a victim.

I would not be surprised either if he receives some form of punishment. However, I don't feel the reason would be "to make an example out of him," but rather because he'd deserve it. He facilitated illegal actions. He is an intelligent man, so I'm sure he likely knew what he was doing could have dire consequences.

It is unfortunate and I hope he is alright. I don't feel he deserved someone calling the police on him. That's so douchey.

I'm level 30. You can add me if you like, but I often play with my friends or just hover on the client as a means of communicating with friends.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I lived in Salt Lake City from 2004-2012, so that doesn't surprise me.

---------------------------------------
    I think I'll have to treat myself to a new Halter Ruffles Back Tie-up Swimsuit soon.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 185

12k followers = worth

He got arrested for prank phonecalls saying he was a terrorist holding hostages; not for streaming videogames. And the hackers would have gone on to the next streamer.

Welp, it appears my assumption was right. PL just explained everything. He said it will be uploaded to YouTube. Poor guy.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 236

they did a mistake when they attacked Riot and Battle.net ... seriously idiots
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 78

They're still going. Let's see what today has planned.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 236
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast