Cloning HDD to SSD or just reinstall?

  1. #1
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,088
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Cloning HDD to SSD or just reinstall?

    Is it really better to just Reinstall fresh Window to a SSD rather than using the clone method?

    I just cloned my HDD to my SSD and everything went fine without any hiccups.

  2. #2
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 207
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    5,923
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    Is it really better to just Reinstall fresh Window to a SSD rather than using the clone method?
    What's the difference? Saves you some time but if you have keyloggers those go away too if you're reinstalling from scrap. I think cloning would be a lot faster too because SATAs copy faster than CDs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    I just cloned my HDD to my SSD and everything went fine without any hiccups.
    Great! Once you've booted from the SSD you can reformat the HDD and store your videos on it.
    How do I turn off signatures while reading?

  3. #3
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,088
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    What's the difference? Saves you some time but if you have keyloggers those go away too if you're reinstalling from scrap. I think cloning would be a lot faster too because SATAs copy faster than CDs?


    Great! Once you've booted from the SSD you can reformat the HDD and store your videos on it.
    So if I format my HDD and use it as a storage, can I still boot from the HDD later on?

    Like if I take out my SDD and use my HDD as my main drive again. Is the O.S still going to be in there?

  4. #4
    ロリコン大好き Reputation: 699
    SnOwBunZz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hamster's closet.
    Posts
    12,582
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Format during each new install. Only clone with images you made after you're done setting up your PC (eg. stuff like installing chrome, word, etc).
    I also would not clone from a HDD due to it having so much crap on it that isn't healthy for an SSD.

    You still can booth from both as long you have an OS on it. If you wiped your HDD after getting your SSD up and running, no you can not boot from it again. At least not until the point you install windows on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •