Thread: Mabinogi 2 Canceled

Panda Moderator Reputation: 580

Default Mabinogi 2 Canceled

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01...s-development/

Hope that Mabinogi II: Arena wasn't on your "most wanted in 2014" list, because Nsquare has announced that it's ceased development on the MMO.

The love child of Nexon and NCsoft, Mabinogi II was to be an action MMO arena with spectators watching teams crawl through countless dungeons. The Nsquare team said that the market didn't look ripe for Mabinogi II, although it did say that it would take another look at the project in the future. For now, Nsquare is moving on to work on MapleStory 2 and other titles.

Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 26

I just died a little inside, especially knowing it's being canned for MapleStory 2 ... urg.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 91

Sadly can't say I find myself shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 76

better work on clasic mabinogi we dont need action trys

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235

May as well have been Vindictus 2.0 since it looks like it had an art style similar to it. Still though it sucks that they're making Maplestory 2 instead but ah well I can't complain, least Vindictus is still getting updates.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 383

Dear nexon,
    Stop being stupid and get neople to make a Dungeon fighter 2.
    Signed, Everyone.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

Really surprised we didn't see Maplestory 2, years ago. Do people even still play it? I heard about it all over the place way back when, although I haven't heard anything about maplestory in a long time now.

Assuming it will be 2d etc also, I'm not sure whether MS2 will have a future or not. A lot has changed in the industry since MS1 and you can get a lot of great games for free now, unlike back when it came out. Then again, "casual" players seem to love their cash shops here in the Western market now too. Hmm, will be interesting to see whether it'll flop or not.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

Am I mistaken by immediately assuming Mabinogi 2 Arena is the PvP content that should have been included in Vindictus and not forced as a separate game?

In case anyone has forgotten. Vindictus is Mabinogi: Heroes.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235

Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    Dear nexon,
    Stop being stupid and get neople to make a Dungeon fighter 2.
    Signed, Everyone.
    They are though. It's still really early in the development stages though.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 149

Wonder if the first will die off soon.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Rapiidz View Post
    Really surprised we didn't see Maplestory 2, years ago. Do people even still play it? I heard about it all over the place way back when, although I haven't heard anything about maplestory in a long time now.

Assuming it will be 2d etc also, I'm not sure whether MS2 will have a future or not. A lot has changed in the industry since MS1 and you can get a lot of great games for free now, unlike back when it came out. Then again, "casual" players seem to love their cash shops here in the Western market now too. Hmm, will be interesting to see whether it'll flop or not.
    Pretty sure there was a press release that said it was 3d with a fixed camera, I thought there were screens/video I'll look quick.

Okay so there are some articles out detailing the announcement but the best photo i could find was taken by apotato
    Last edited by Acreon; 01-04-2014 at 03:59 AM.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by Rapiidz View Post
    Assuming it will be 2d etc also, I'm not sure whether MS2 will have a future or not.
    It isn't. And it doesn't seem like it's going to be a sidescroller either.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

Wait so what is the difference between Mabinogi Heroes, Vindictus, Mabinogi II: Arena, and Mabinogi 2?

Also... Maple Story? A teenager with a library computer could make that game's gameplay-features.

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 64

maybe they are going to redesign Project nt? (I hope its project NT) to be a sequel to mabinogi.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Wait so what is the difference between Mabinogi Heroes, Vindictus, Mabinogi II: Arena, and Mabinogi 2?

Also... Maple Story? A teenager with a library computer could make that game's gameplay-features.
    vindictus is Mabinogi : Heroes in Korea, they changed the name in the west to avoid confusion, which is a spin off/prequel to Mabinogi.

Mabinogi 2: Arena Was supposed to be a sequel to Mabinogi but was more a like a sequel to vindictus/mabinogi: Heroes

EDIT: There is also no Mabinogi 2, as far as I'm aware
    Last edited by whitey; 01-04-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 16

They should have worked on a proper sequel instead of another vindictus style game. I'd say good riddance.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrias View Post
    They should have worked on a proper sequel instead of another vindictus style game. I'd say good riddance.
    Gonna have to agree here, I'd love for a newer and more refined Mabinogi.

Murxidon's Maid Reputation: 43

Honestly not that offended by this.

I wished that mabinogi 2 would have been an improvement to mabinogi 1 in the whole life style type of game play.
    The last thing I wanted was another vindictus.

LoL: Chris Tacos

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 61

And nothing of value was lost.

Currently playing: FFXIV (Elucifer Arclight, Leviathan server), LoL (Trash Tier Waifu, NA server), SMITE (Zacewing)

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 35

I still don't understand why so many people have this "lol it was just vindi again anyway" mindset when it comes to Mabinogi Arena. When there was literally one actual gameplay trailer that was released...almost 2 years ago. We really saw nothing in the game besides the general art style and a dungeon. So I can't really grasp why it's automatically bad for so many people.

Personally, I think the original Mabinogi needs much improvement. With these newest updates the game has it's own type of power creep, new combat skills always end up progressively more useful and stronger than older ones. A lot of PvE content starts to become more and more irrelevant, like dungeons for instance which could be pretty damn interesting if they'd stop just adding new difficulties to peaca and actually make EVERY dungeon worth doing for all levels.

I mean Peaca Abyss and Coill Abyss are coming to NA eventually, though the only reasons to do these dungeons are for the exclusive drops. But we all know a week or so later Nexon will just release a gachapon with the rare items from those dungeons in it which will completely invalidate any reason for doing those dungeons outside of just completing it just so you can say you did it once the people who spam gachapons get the items into circulation.

I've played mabi for like 5 years now, and the game just feels like a flavor of the month deal whenever new skills come out. It just feels so stale now, my only attraction to the game now is seriously making music scores.
    Last edited by Densetsu; 01-04-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 61

I found Mabi more fun when it first came out because there wasn't really an emphasis on any particular kind of content. You didn't feel pressured to grind or do the shiny new instances for drops, or anything like that. The game was an open-ended "do anything you want" game rather than a linear grindfest, and I prefer that formula.

Currently playing: FFXIV (Elucifer Arclight, Leviathan server), LoL (Trash Tier Waifu, NA server), SMITE (Zacewing)

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 22

Quote Originally Posted by jhonli View Post
    Honestly not that offended by this.

I wished that mabinogi 2 would have been an improvement to mabinogi 1 in the whole life style type of game play.
    The last thing I wanted was another vindictus.
    i second this i didnt want another dungeon crawler

R.I.P Tupac Amaru Shakur

1971-1996

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

— Tupac Shakur