Anyone else think the free players are restricted too much?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Default Anyone else think the free players are restricted too much?

I don't want to Subscribe to any game other than WoW but i cant because i don't have any money. so i went and played SWTOR and i played their Free-to-Play model and i realized that they said that the game was more free to play than what it actually is. The Free-to_play people only have access to 2 action bars, they can only play 5 PvP matches a week(because that will keep me entertained) you have a credit cap of 200,000 credits. There is a chat restriction, you can only receive in-game mail not send it. you CANNOT wear any Purple item, UNLESS you have BOUGHT something from the cash shop. what kind of crap scam are they trying to pull here. this means that as a Free-to-play person you are always going to be under geared. you cannot Post to the Forums or contact support unless you are a subscriber. When i played I had some issues logging in so i attempted to contact support but all i could get was the FAQ. now what am I going to do with the FAQ. So if i am ever going to play again Bioware and EA need to revisit their Free-to-Play model because not being able to get help is completely retarded.

Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 32

Just do what I did till I found a source of steady income...revisit your ps2/gamecube etc library and go through the nostalgia all over again.

But yes f2p players in most games will always be lacking the edge that the cash shop gives other players. Except for a handful of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Igneius View Post
    Just do what I did till I found a source of steady income...revisit your ps2/gamecube etc library and go through the nostalgia all over again.

But yes f2p players in most games will always be lacking the edge that the cash shop gives other players. Except for a handful of them.
    Now RIFT did Free-to-Play right and nice comment about going to the PS2 and GameCube......

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 14

tera. IF you want those stupid ugly female costumes with 50% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by prettietim View Post
    tera. IF you want those stupid ugly female costumes with 50% discount.
    hated the targeting system. played alot of the games before

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Good games usually can't be 100% free; They have to entice players to spend money or they'll lose money. That's something most game developers do not want.

Free-to-Play(F2P) offers players the chance to sample the games prior to investing anything but a little bit of time. That's always a huge plus. This results in much higher traffic in comparison to a Pay-to-Play game of matching quality.

Despite the higher traffic, the ratio of paying players vs total players is usually low.

What this means is that the company must attempt to increase the amount of money they receive per paying player OR focus on a higher conversion rate.

Games that focus on getting more money from less players are usually less restrictive in my experience. They tend to rely mainly on "unnecessary" items such as convenience and cosmetic items. Sometimes selling things that do impact(gear) gameplay, but can generally be obtained without paying.

Games that focus more on conversion(my experience again) can be a lot more restrictive. They often restrict levels, skills, equipment, and even the amount you can participate in free content. They are also more likely to sell balance affecting items resulting in Pay-to-Win(P2W) situations.

To summarize, F2P games do not have to be restrictive to thrive, but some developers make that choice. It's just depends on the sub-business model the company has chosen.

For SWtoR, I personally don't think they will change the business model. The last statements I read reported a very high payer:player ratio with player numbers remaining steady.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 01-04-2014 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Good games usually can't be 100% free; They have to entice players to spend money or they'll lose money. That's something most game developers do not want.

Free-to-Play(F2P) offers players the chance to sample the games prior to investing anything but a little bit of time. That's always a huge plus. This results in much higher traffic in comparison to a Pay-to-Play game of matching quality.

Despite the higher traffic, the ratio of paying players vs total players is usually low.

What this means is that the company must attempt to increase the amount of money they receive per paying player OR focus on a higher conversion rate.

Games that focus on getting more money from less players are usually less restrictive in my experience. They tend to rely mainly on "unnecessary" items such as convenience and cosmetic items. Sometimes selling things that do impact(gear) gameplay, but can generally be obtained without paying.

Games that focus more on conversion(my experience again) can be a lot more restrictive. They often restrict levels, skills, equipment, and even the amount you can participate in free content. They are also more likely to sell balance affecting items resulting in Pay-to-Win(P2W) situations.

To summarize, F2P games do not have to be restrictive to thrive, but some developers make that choice. It's just depends on the sub-business model the company has chosen.

For SWtoR, I personally don't think they will change the business model. The last statements I read reported a very high payer:player ratio with player numbers remaining steady.
    sure SWTOR is going to be around for some time but they need to change how they do Free-to-Play. They put a restriction on Customer support.....THAT IS COMPLETE CRAP!

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Their F2P model is a glorified trial version.
    If you don't want to pay(ever), the game isn't meant for you.

Rock Man Reputation: 10

What FarmerM just said.

EA is most likely the ones on their back about the way they handle their free to play model anyways. Most Free to Play games don't limit these feature because they already built limitation into the game in a way where you don't really know unless you become a core player of that title.

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 106

Generally, a game which was originally P2P and went F2P will restrict content or severely limit capabilities for purely free players (lower caps on skills, locked classes/races, exclusion of the ability to wear high-tier gear, etc) but will allow for decent progression throughout while a game which starts F2P will usually devolve into mindless grind devoid of any attempt at variation around the mid-level range and will in turn sell convenience items to make things faster (double experience potions, mounts, etc) and/or enhancement stuff for gear upgrading (this way they don't get accused of outright selling gear, but actual upgrade success rates without cash shop help are horrendously low and they make a fortune on things like '5% success rate boost' and 'protects the item from breaking' stuff).

So, outright restrictions aren't really on all that many F2P games, but the ones with restrictions tend to also have more content in the first place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast