If ghosts are real, is God too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 82

Default If ghosts are real, is God too?

I just spent several hours watching a show called "The Haunting Of...<insert celebrity name here>."

Basic Summary: This medium and host, Kim Russo, takes a celebrity back to the place where he/she had a paranormal experience. Throughout the episode, she not only uncovers the reasons or potential reasons why the spirits caused a haunting, but she also speaks on behalf of relatives of each celebrity. She pulls out names of the relatives, specific gestures of the relatives, times, and personal events and conversations, all that would not be known to anyone but the celebrity.

While each episode engulfed me and fascinated me greatly, I spent the whole time wondering if the medium somehow heavily researched the celebrities extensively prior to filming and/or if the celebrities were acting, or if she is a legit medium.

If it is an act, they did a really good job convincing me.

But if she really is a medium and can communicate with the dead, this means several things for me I'm not sure I'm willing to accept:

1. God is real.
    2. If God is real, does that mean I have to follow religious dogma?
    3. I don't want to follow religious dogma.
    4. I don't want to exist in an afterlife.
    5. I don't want to be in "limbo" when I die.
    6. Don't take my comfortable atheism away from me!
    7. Aww shit, I'm mindfvcked.

Although, part of me KIND OF likes the idea that my grandmother may be able to hear me when I speak aloud. I have a lot of guilt and hatred towards myself. I was her caretaker for the last couple months she was alive. I'm only hopeful for the chance to redeem myself. I want to make her proud, and I want to know that she isn't angry at me.

Fellow atheists/agnostics, do you believe in ghosts? If so, how do you rationalize the existence of ghosts with the nonexistence of God?

Religious/God-natured fellows, do you believe in ghosts? If not, how do you rationalize the nonexistence of ghosts with the existence of God?
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

I think some religions don't believe in the afterlife, or believe you don't exist until you are rezzed. I don't believe in ghosts because I haven't seen any indication to believe I should believe in ghosts. I have a hunch ghosts don't exists because I assume ghosts would require human souls to exist, and I am almost certain that I don't have a soul. Maybe some other guy has a soul so he can get a ghost and stuff. I'd have to hear the recordings (voices) and see the holograms (ghosts) and witness the magnetism (psychokinesis) before bothering to consider the existence of ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    How does any of that connect to the existence of god?
    Well for starters, it would indicate that the existence of intelligent life not based on solid and liquid states of elements from the periodic table is possible. This would lower skepticism surrounding any "God"s defined as being non solid/liquid periodic table of elements based... Many theists believe that God is energy-based (not carbon-based) and that if there were a carbon-based God on Earth then we'd have already detected him/her/it. I.e. Many theists believe that the "God" they worship is made out of the same substance as ghosts. So evidence of intelligent ghosts would provide the basis for a scientific model explaining an intelligent "God".

In no way does that mean that they are dead or that there is a god, simply because there is more to life after death.
    Well whether God exists or not, what is the point of believing in God if people don't have an afterlife? (Other than social and morale benefits (not moral - I said morale).) For the people who believe that we don't meet God until after death, believing that we have no afterlife defeats the point of believing in meeting God after you die since that'd be a paradox to experience something when you don't exist.

It is fact that the human mind can trick itself into seeing things that are not really there. Thus I conclude due to this fact, that while I have seen ghosts, they were not actually there.
    Hue. I have felt the presence of God, and heard God speak, and seen the miracles of God, and been comforted by God, and conversed with God. Yet God doesn't exist so I was hallucinating (like when people fap, or imagine the plot for a fiction novel). I have also spoken to Santa Claus and Jesus-in-heaven and various anime characters, but contrary to my imagination the laws of Physics still hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    A more logical explanation for the kinds of supernatural events that happen are just things yet to be understand about this world. Humans aren't exactly the most perceptive creatures
    You have evidence of supernatural events? Share your sources with us so we can appease our curiosity.

Actually - even if there were intelligent life not based on the known elements, then we'd still have found it, because we have radio/microwave/infrared/UV/X-ray/gamma ray sensors, we have eyes, and we have religious people. So if a religious person found evidence of God then they'd easily be able to spread that knowledge. **** we even have a neutrino detector. But no reliable contact with God except human imagination. And if the God in your imagination is not the same God as someone else's, then that fulfils the definition of "imaginary" - existing only in the imagination..

So... Next topic: If zombies are real..?
    Last edited by Phenoca; 01-05-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

How does any of that connect to the existence of god? No really, I have no clue how you made that connection. In the infinite unknown of the universe, there may very well be ghosts, or at least beings that we believe to be ghosts. In no way does that mean that they are dead or that there is a god, simply because there is more to life after death. Even if god were real, that does not mean that a religion, or any religion for that matter is correct. Nor does that mean there is a limbo. Being a ghost could very well be heaven or hell, if such things exists. Now with that out of the way, I've seen ghosts. However, I deny the existence of such. It is fact that the human mind can trick itself into seeing things that are not really there. Thus I conclude due to this fact, that while I have seen ghosts, they were not actually there. Now, I do not deny the possibility that ghosts are real, I simply choose to follow what we consider to be proven reality until the facts say otherwise. I hold the same view with god(s), tho I've yet to see god(s) or anything associated with them.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Ghosts existing or not doesn't mean god exists or not. They can be two separate cases. Assuming one verifies the other is a mistake.

A more logical explanation for the kinds of supernatural events that happen are just things yet to be understand about this world. Humans aren't exactly the most perceptive creatures on this planet when it comes to basic senses, especially in regards to sight, hearing and smell.

As for the information the medium found out: it's more likely that research was done either beforehand or during the show and she's being fed the answers through a device. Or the people are actors and it's fake altogether as most these shows are.

I don't believe in entities, they either exist or they don't. My belief doesn't make it so either way.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    I think some religions don't believe in the afterlife, or believe you don't exist until you are rezzed
    Like a proper gamer

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 82

How does any of that connect to the existence of god? No really, I have no clue how you made that connection. In the infinite unknown of the universe, there may very well be ghosts, or at least beings that we believe to be ghosts. In no way does that mean that they are dead or that there is a god, simply because there is more to life after death.
    The first assumption I would associate with the existence of supernatural entities would be the high probability that God exists. I associate the afterlife with God and religion, because they are directly related in religious literature. God delegates the afterlife. Although literature is not instant-proof soup, I would be more inclined to believe the two correlate.

Secondly, if the dead can roam the Earth mostly undetected and can communicate with the living, it's not so difficult to rationalize something as extreme as a deity: God.

Thirdly, based on many paranormal programs I've watched, most of them, if not all, imply and relate the existence of God to paranormal activity by usage of specific terms, explanation, and practices, such as: exorcisms, crosses, angels, Heaven, Hell, demons, devil, Satan, etc. And sometimes, they just say God.

Fourthly, I've seen programs depicting how atheists can't acquire a protection against the paranormal because they can't draw on God or angels to protect them, because they don't believe in it.

Henceforth, I associate afterlife with God. They go hand-in-hand, to me.

Furthermore, my thread was influenced by Kim Russo and her TV show. So let me clarify some important information Russo expresses. She can speak to the dead, which implies that there is an afterlife, which I feel also implies God exists, because I associate the afterlife with God. Russo blatantly speaks of angels, Heaven, Hell, and negative entities (probably AKA demons), which implies she believes in them, which also implies she believes in God. Although, I haven't seen an episode yet where she confirms her belief in God by stating it outright, but her website does.

Therefore, I am inclined to believe God + Afterlife = Afterlife + God.
    Even if god were real, that does not mean that a religion, or any religion for that matter is correct.
    True, but I've provided at least two other reasons why I believe the two directly relate even if religious literature is null.

Nor does that mean there is a limbo.
    In the program, Russo states that if a human isn't ready to die and feels incomplete before they die, they don't cross over to the "other side," but rather hover and cause the hauntings. I call this limbo, which is just another word for ghostworld afterlife. This applies to suicide victims too. Many suicide victims stay in limbo because many of them take their own lives simply because of an anguish they want to alleviate, not because they want to die necessarily. Nor did the suicide solve the victim's problem, causing them to hover with their burdens in the afterlife.

Being a ghost could very well be heaven or hell, if such things exists.
    Sure, I can make-up anything I wanted, but I'm not. I'm analyzing and considering the medium's discoveries as truth.

Now with that out of the way, I've seen ghosts. However, I deny the existence of such. It is fact that the human mind can trick itself into seeing things that are not really there. Thus I conclude due to this fact, that while I have seen ghosts, they were not actually there. Now, I do not deny the possibility that ghosts are real, I simply choose to follow what we consider to be proven reality until the facts say otherwise. I hold the same view with god(s), tho I've yet to see god(s) or anything associated with them.
    This generally sums up about how I felt prior to my "data" accumulation. I have no doubt that I will likely deny the possibility and continue to be a comfortable atheist. I always do. In the meantime, i must satiate my curiosity with others' provoking theories.

My family has also claimed to have seen ghosts. I have not, although, I was told I was present during paranormal activity when I was so young that I can't remember. I rationalize that they were hallucinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Ghosts existing or not doesn't mean god exists or not. They can be two separate cases. Assuming one verifies the other is a mistake.
    I address why I associate the two above.
    A more logical explanation for the kinds of supernatural events that happen are just things yet to be understand about this world. Humans aren't exactly the most perceptive creatures on this planet when it comes to basic senses, especially in regards to sight, hearing and smell.
    Reading Phenoca's response to this statement made me realize that it's definitely possible humans haven't discovered every element and obviously the technology to discover such an element. Or whatever ghosts are, we have yet to discover explainable methods or the technology. As strange as it may seem, but this seems more far-fetched to me than the possibility of afterlife. Then again, the world is flat!

As for the information the medium found out: it's more likely that research was done either beforehand or during the show and she's being fed the answers through a device. Or the people are actors and it's fake altogether as most these shows are.
    I don't know. I have the feeling it's legit, but it wouldn't surprise me as much as it would disappoint me if you were right.

Some of the celebrities are actors, others are hosts or singers.

I don't believe in entities, they either exist or they don't. My belief doesn't make it so either way.
    Ok.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

The medium also is an actor, acting a damn script, to collect a paycheck.

Thread over now?

Stay frosty.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

I was going to write a long post about not trying to connect things without either being proven or understood. I instead decided to reply short and sweet like to the thread title.

Not necessarily.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    The first assumption I would associate with the existence of supernatural entities would be the high probability that God exists. I associate the afterlife with God and religion, because they are directly related in religious literature. God delegates the afterlife. Although literature is not instant-proof soup, I would be more inclined to believe the two correlate.
    The real question to be asking is if the source material for your beliefs are even accurate themselves. Because if they aren't then everything you base your assumptions on are likely to be incorrect. And personally from reading through the Bible (which is what I'm assuming you are basing this off of) numerous times when I was younger, I'm inclined to believe that at the very least it makes some really far fetched assumptions to the methods and reasoning behind some of God's actions and what the authors claim God is capable of and does, should any of it happen to be true in the first place. While I cannot prove or deny the existence of spirits, a soul, the afterlife or even a supreme being(s), I can be ever doubtful of any text that is claimed to be the undeniable truth of them based on it's own existence.

Another thing to note is that the Bible does not support the claim of ghosts or spirits that remain on Earth; when any human dies, they go to Heaven or Hell. We do not remain attached to the Earth when we die, we are judged by the lord in Heaven to be worthy to be in his presence or to be sent to Hell for eternity. That's how things work, according to the Bible.

Where people get ghosts from isn't even from the Bible to begin with. No offense, but what you are saying is inconsistent with what the Bible teaches, as are many things people believe to be true.
    Last edited by Kashis; 01-05-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 238

i believe in respawn ...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast