Elder Scrolls Online - Stress test 01/10/14

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Pellet Eater Reputation: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    Oh, so everyone on the planet has to have your opinion of the game, grow up!
    Mother of god the irony is just way to thick here, like your skull...

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cy-Kill View Post
    Oh, so everyone on the planet has to have your opinion of the game, grow up!
    Nice comeback.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 180

I have an extra key, after a decade or so of experience playing MMO's, I can say without a doubt, this game will fail.
    Played the throughout alpha/beta, I couldn't get into it at all.
    Check out my Twitch Stream, Click the Hot Girlz. CS:GO (Training).
    Don't take shit too seriously, because soon we'll all be in the grave

Game Journalist Reputation: 386

Quote Originally Posted by Cfuson2012 View Post
    Pretty stupid if you think TESO will fail, Obv you diden't play the beta or else you would know that its gonna be a huge hit. I will be buying the game at launch and a year sub, my family and friends will be to. I cannot believe Onrpg Journalists write such trash, makes me believe that this site really is going downhill.
    Glad you read the article... oh wait... the point of the article is that it failed as an Elder Scrolls game. Not that it'll fail as a themepark. Derp. And I have played the beta, and have participated in several of the weekends. I do not know how much of the NDA is still active, so I cannot mention anything specific past what I found in dev gameplay videos, so I wont. If you like, once the NDA is lifted/OB is released, I'll go into complete detail where exactly the game fails as an ES game.

Also, as Cy-Kill said, no reason to get angry just because I have a different opinion as you. The article is not a review, nor is it a reporting of news, it's my personal opinion on the game. I'm glad that it's getting people discussing though, but I'd rather people actually discussed it rather than get to fanboy-rage levels.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 01-13-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/10]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Detective Kirby Reputation: 9
    Down that one road. Beside that big tree.

Never really been a fan of the Elder scrolls games. Haven't even went to the website to check this game out. But i have heard alot of bad things about it. If everyone seems to dislike it. There is no way it can succeed. But best of luck to the devs and publishers. I'm sure it will be alot of hard work gone down the drain.

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 42

Wow - that's a very mature discussion going on here.
    Seriously: Stop insulting and accept and tolerate others opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    I like reading your articles! You're having interesting opinions for sure. You addressed some good points, but I don't agree with everything I've read here.

First off, "Everquest Next: Landmark" has totally different gameplay - I don't know, why that should be considered a threat. Also, I don't see the main-game "Everquest Next" (with an ETA yet to be announced) taking away many of ESOs customers, as the graphic style is just too different and there's always a market for your so to say "mainstream-MMOs" like ESO. EQ:N is definitely a title someone can look forward to tho (especially with the planned integration of oculus-rift, which I'm suuper excited about!).
    As for ArcheAge: It's a shame, but with those graphics, I think it has passed its time of having the possibilities to become a huuuge title in NA/EU. BnS (if it will ever come) and Black Desert could be considered real competitors in my opinion. With them, it really comes down to personal preference.

"I'm afraid that ESO will just turn out to follow the Themepark formula to a T, a few side quests, a not-so-thought-out main line, and a bunch of zones that are separate in level difficulty."
    What leads you to this assumption? Especially, how you can consider the main-quest-line as "not-so-thought-out" leaves a huge questionmark for me. I assume, like most other testers, you didn't experience any content higher than level 10-15. How can you make any implications regarding the story-line yet? Also, from what I've seen so far, it has one of the most attracting storylines I've experienced in MMOs - being even on par with many single player games.

The same goes for the "create your own class"-feature. Thinking rationally, you can not expect Oblivions or Skyrims skill system being used for an MMORPG - at least not if you are looking for any kind of balance in PvE and most importantly PvP.
    Again, they've done an excellent job with handling possibilities in that aspect. There are literally no gender-, race- and class- boundaries and no weapon-limitations at all. You're free to build whatever character you want. I honestly don't see how this can be considered lacking in any way.

Like you wrote - PvP really does stand out. It's GW2s WvWvW in a much bigger scale - and considering that PvP is the only thing that keeps GW2 going, ESO did everything right here. There are some balance issues with certain skills, but that's more than ok for a Beta-Stess-Test.

Much like almost everyone else, I am also unhappy with the payment system. P2P is outdated and I also see ESO switching to F2P in the near future - preferably sooner than later if they care for a high player count.
    I do not hope for the end of "Theme-Park-MMOs" though, as there definitely is a market for these. I do hope for more variety and genre mixing - but that is "taking risks" and not every company can afford to do that.

Like you wrote, the quest system is a big plus: A single-player quest system implemented into an MMO would require lots of instanced single player areas - which clearly isn't the way, the developers want the game to be. So, the quest system has to be adapted to a more multiplayer-friendly style and to the audience adequately - and I think they've done a fairly good job with that.

[More about quests: If you actually read the dialogues, you'll notice that the game often gives you different ways to solve quests. It depends on the player if, for example, he actually gives a **** and sneaks his way through an area/into a building, or just rushes his way through the entire game (in this case - killing everything and everyone in your way).
    They could limit the options there (let you respawn at a savepoint if you're seen, ..) but they obviously chose not to do so and hereby transfered the power of experiencing "good" quests to the users.
    On the one hand, that's not a good idea, because the mass will always choose the easiest and fastest way to finish things - on the other hand, nowadays in the MMO-market, you're advised to give players as much freedom as possible (yeah, tricky situation).
    More Examples: Putting skillpoints into persuasion/intimidation to unlock more dialogue-options, finding back entrances instead of killing or paying guards off at frontdoors or even disguising onself as one of them.]

On top of that, as I stated before in this thread, I haven't seen many MMOs that implemented a user-based idea and decision system of justice as well as ESO does. Lying to a person for the well-being of another one, deciding wheter or not it's the right thing to do to give something stolen back (even tho the owner isn't too nice^^) and even letting you decide on others lifes.

As you can read, I do see a market for ESO (and a rather big one that is). I should probably add: I wasn't hyped at all about ESO, because I read loads of negative criticism before laying my hands on it. Maybe that's the reason that, for me, it turned out to be soo much better than (obviously) for most of the other users on this forum.
    Then again, I remember some of you calling "FF:ARR" a game worth spending money on - which I agree to as well. But, while ESO does offer a lot more (did FF even implement any form of PvP yet?), almost noone is giving it any credit for that. I really believe, overhype and unjustified over-expectations (just for being an Elder-Scrolls-title) killed the game for many of you, which makes me wish, they wouldn't have advertised it as an Elder-Scrolls-game in the first place. And now I wonder if anyone will even read this wall of text... xD

Super Moderator Reputation: 168

Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post

What leads you to this assumption? Especially, how you can consider the main-quest-line as "not-so-thought-out" leaves a huge questionmark for me. I assume, like most other testers, you didn't experience any content higher than level 10-15. How can you make any implications regarding the story-line yet? Also, from what I've seen so far, it has one of the most attracting storylines I've experienced in MMOs - being even on par with many single player games.
    Storyline is a matter of taste. However, I would like to point something out here: The beginning of any game, MMOs included, is typically where you want to WOW your player the most. If they aren't interested within the first 10-20 levels of a game, why on earth would they want to spent another couple weeks/months on the game? Of course once someone puts a serious investment in a game they're going to look at the game more positively than they would otherwise, but that's not the point. The point is, how is a person who is debating if they want to spend $15 a month on the game going to see it?

Pellet Eater Reputation: 39

Much better than the official Onrpg review, to be honest. Far less biased and doom-speakingish, and you seem to have actually played the game. Have they finished Voice Acting all the quest npcs as of yet, or are they still working on it?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Not a fan of Elder Scrolls, but Elder Scrolls Online was AWESOME (for the 8 hours that I played).
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Game Journalist Reputation: 386

Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    Much better than the official Onrpg review, to be honest. Far less biased and doom-speakingish, and you seem to have actually played the game. Have they finished Voice Acting all the quest npcs as of yet, or are they still working on it?
    Not a review! =D Opinion-based prediction. Of course it'll be "biased" as it's based entirely on my opinion. Also, the NDA is still in affect, so even if I had played the game (and I have), I can't base anything I write on that experience beta testing the game or I risk losing access to the beta/being banned/whatever else. As such, my opinion-based prediction is based purely on press releases and dev-approved gameplay videos.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 01-14-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/10]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast