Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pipe Smoking

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    But honestly, the only place you will look cool smoking that is D-Con or if you normally look like a wizard. Otherwise you risk looking like a hipster douche.
    If you mean the pipe, I don't plan to smoke it in public or even in front of people if I can help it. Not my idea of a relaxing experience being around people.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640

You don't honestly believe that smoking tobacco from a pipe is going to be healthy.
    When you read how people talk about it, its just the exact same bullshit that people said about cigarettes 30 years ago...
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-19-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Stay frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    You don't honestly believe that smoking tobacco from a pipe is going to be healthy.
    When you read how people talk about it, its just the exact same bullshit that people said about cigarettes 30 years ago...
    Who said it would be healthy?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Who said it would be healthy?
    Oh well, the thing about the study that pipe-smokers supposedly live longer gave me a bit of a head-scratching itch, that's all. The other thing about pipe-smokers being happier about their addiction/hobby is just the same thing smokers would say to sleep better at night and rationalize the fact that they are gurgling cancer causing fumes.

You have made up your mind, you are an adult, have fun. I hope you draw a lucky card and don't develop any condition whatsoever. I just can't tell you that I think you are doing the right thing. Can't you relax drinking coffee or tea, or something, that isn't just as prone to cause cancer?

Stay frosty.

Oh well, the thing about the study that pipe-smokers supposedly live longer gave me a bit of a head-scratching itch, that's all. The other thing about pipe-smokers being happier about their addiction/hobby is just the same thing smokers would say to sleep better at night and rationalize the fact that they are gurgling cancer causing fumes.

You have made up your mind, you are an adult, have fun. I hope you draw a lucky card and don't develop any condition whatsoever. I just can't tell you that I think you are doing the right thing. Can't you relax drinking coffee or tea, or something, that isn't just as prone to cause cancer?
    Consumption of anything processed or altered will have a chance of causing some kind of issue. It's a risk vs reward choice. I think the rewards (a nice hobby, relaxation, something I'm interested in, etc...) outweigh the risks. I do drink both coffee and tea. More tea than coffee, though. In fact, I've found that I quite enjoy a cup of warm peppermint tea with a bowl.

I don't think any issues will arise. If any do, it'll either be soreness towards the back of my throat or an enhanced chance at gum infection. Of course, both of those can be avoided by proper counter measures (drinking something while smoking, brushing/flossing/salt water or mouth wash rinsing).

In all honestly, someone who takes up skiing, rock climbing, car racing, or even just driving safely on a town street, etc... is more at risk or hurting themselves or dying than someone who takes up pipe smoking. As you don't inhale pipe smoke (unless you choose to or do it by accident), you aren't putting your lungs at much risks. You're having about the same amount of risks as you would if you stood next to a fire, or are living in a dense city with a lot of air pollution.

I'm not saying it's healthy, it's definitely not (unless you count stress-relieving benefits and I don't quite). I'm just saying it's not as much of a risks as you initially think it would be.
    -Cingal

I wouldn't compare smoking to rock climbing exactly. It's the number one cause of premature death. One of every 5 deaths in the US happen due to smoking.
    It's something that "probably might not happen", but it's really actually something that quite likely will happen. This counts too for pipe smoking. It's not a pretty death either, otherwise people would probably not give much of a shit. It's pretty gruesome and miserable.

Stay frosty.

I wouldn't compare smoking to rock climbing exactly. It's the number one cause of premature death. One of every 5 deaths in the US happen due to smoking.
    It's something that "probably might not happen", but it's really actually something that quite likely will happen. This counts too for pipe smoking. It's not a pretty death either, otherwise people would probably not give much of a shit. It's pretty gruesome and miserable.
    That statistic is based on (or including) cigarette smokers, who inhale the smoke and smoke more frequently. Inhaling the smoke (or any kind of not clean air) will cause a shitton of problems, including difficulty breathing, hacking coughs, etc... With pipe smoking, you aren't inhaling it (unless it's on a deliberate choice to go against what you should be doing and/or an accident). Because you aren't inhaling the smoke, the risks are almost completely limited to mouth issues, be it mouth cancer, gum disease/infection, teeth coloring, etc...

Most of the deaths caused by smoking are due to the issues that smoking cigarettes causes to the lungs.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying that Pipe smoking isn't potentially dangerous. I'm just saying it's not as dangerous, and not dangerous in the same exact ways, as cigarette smoking. It comes down to no inhaling and less frequent smoking.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 01-19-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    -Cingal

Well, of course taking the smoke into the lung directly is worst, but you are inhaling the smoke anyways, if you aren't running at top speed away from it on the outside, or wait for stormy weather.
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-19-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Stay frosty.