Pipe Smoking

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    @Oister: Sorry to having to say this but the habit thing is bull. A pavlov reflex dies after two weeks. A smoking cue will trigger a measurable reflex-result in an heavy smokers brain till he dies.
    Fair enough, but my point was that the "addiction" doesn't stem so much from a chemical need for the nicotine, but a habituation to the act and ritual of smoking.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 17

Why dont u guys get vapes lol? Smoking tobacco is quite stupid in my opinion, they have better alternatives then chew, cigs, etc

Just go on ebay and buy a Ego-t vaping 1100mah for $10 and go to your local vaping store and buy some juice and a tank total cost of like $20 or so.

Plus your not causing urself cancer and or giving people around u cancer, also these things are legal in most public places

R.I.P Tupac Amaru Shakur

1971-1996

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

Tupac Shakur

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

ive been smoking since 17 turning 23 next month. And its a very bad addiction and habit. I am not sure why i started but i guess since the most of my family smokes. my papa grandmum brother aunt all smoke so i guess it rubs off onto me. I wish i have never started but meh. I might try to quit again one day not sure.

I dont have much family left. Most are dead sadly. By the time i am 40 years old if i make it. I probably want have no one but my self. My brother will probably die from an overdose. My pops will probably die from his crack addiction unlesss he stops. My grandmum health is getting worse day by day. She raised me so i love her most as she was a mom a dad and a grandmum.

sorry about this post just needed to vent.
    You hate me? No worries death to all my enemies forgiveness is over. If you hate me so bad come to my house and we can settle it like men. Am i claiming to be a fighter? Nope but im sick of your shit. You bring your boys ill bring mine i can guarantee some one gonna leave in a body bag. Ill shove this pitch fork up ya ass and have you begging for mercy and none will come. As i roast you over the fire laughing at your burning flesh. Im sick of your shit and your threats lets settle this like men

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Day three...

Well, so far today I've had just one smoke. The first day I smoked three, the second day I smoked four. The primary reason of the initial frequent smoking was that I wanted to try all the flavors and break in my pipe. I've found that my two favorites from the five pouches I got are the Irish Whiskey and the French Vanilla. I'm just now beginning to actually taste the flavors behind the tobacco. Also, I've begun to smell the differences between the tobaccos as well.

When I first got them, I smelled the tobaccos and they all smelled exactly the same. They all tasted the same, too. I guess being exposed to them has started to give me the ability to tell the minute differences between them. Still, however, the smoke only taste good for the first half of the bowl. I'm laying this down on the fact that I need to work on cleaning my pipe better (specifically the stem) and I need to work on my technique to make sure I get a nice even burn.

I've begun to spend 15-20min a day on the elliptical due to guilty conscious. I figure, if I can smoke I can do a bit of exercise. So far, I haven't noticed any ill effects from the smoking. I feared that my throat would be sore, at a minimum, as I got used to it. Even though I've inhaled on accident a few times (mostly when I laugh or begin talking with the pipe in my mouth), I've noticed no pain or soreness.

Here's a copy/paste of a post I did on another forum, mostly about why I decided to start smoking a pipe. The first paragraph is aimed at someone that said they stopped smoking cigarettes.

Congratulations. Nicotine addiction is pretty sucky. Pretty much the key to being miserable and penniless. My mom and my grandma (who raised me) have smoked all my life and continue to do so. They've tried quitting a several times, and were even successful for periods of time until the habit took over in times of stress and they got back to it. My uncles, aunts, grandparents, a lot of my cousins, etc... all smoked cigarettes as well. Honestly, I only know of three or four of my family members (and that includes extended family) who aren't addicted to cigarettes. So, all my life, up until this point, I've avoided cigarettes and other potentially addiction-forming/mind-altering substances all my life up until this point.

It's hard to put into words what makes pipe smoking attractive to me. Of course, there's the easy reasons such as figures in literature or film who smoked pipes. For some it's because of Sherlock Holmes, for others it's because their grandparents or parents did it and they have fond memories of it, for some it's because of the Lord of the Rings. Personally, I'm in the LOTR crowd and part of the reason I picked it up was because I fell in love with the idea of smoking a Churchwarden style pipe, mostly because of the films.

Of course, that's just what sparked my initial interest. That interest has sat in the back of my mind for quite some time and recently it got a bit of air when I started to discover videos on youtube where people smoked pipes and discussed the hobby. That's what a majority of pipe smokers consider it, a relaxing hobby. That idea intrigued me, and the image of me sitting in a comfy chair with a pipe in one hand and a book in another began to take form. Before I committed, however, I began to research.

I continued to watch hours of videos of people discussing their experiences smoking, how to smoke, how to pack a bowl, how to clean pipes, what the different types of pipes and bowl shapes were called and how it could effect the smoking experience. I was introduced to forums like pipemagazine and knowledge databses like pipedia. I began to learn about the different types of tobaccos, and all the other stuff related to the hobby.

For several days I thought about it and researched it. The fact that it seemed to be a relaxing hobby that everyone I talked to considered a good thing about themselves intrigued me. When I talk to my family and other smokers, they all regret and dread their stupid decision to begin smoking. A majority of them even hate the smoking part of it and only do it because they need their nicotine fix. To me, it seemed like people who smoked were in a living hell that they couldn't escape without some extreme soul searching a massive life changes.

But the pipe smokers (and cigar smokers) seemed quite content and even proud of their smoking. They talked about amazing flavors, fond memories, relaxing nights by a camp fire, and never once hinted that they regretted their choice to smoke a pipe. I continued to look into it and it seemed like everyone I could find wasn't even addicted to it. Sure they got a fix of nicotine from the smoke, but it wasn't for that reason they smoked. A lot of them even mentioned that they would go days or weeks without a smoke just because they weren't in the mood. Some would stop smoking whenever they got sick because it just wasn't fun when your nose is stuffy and your body feels like crap.

As far as I could tell from my research, smoking pipes (and cigars) isn't quite as bad (but any type of smoking, no matter what it is, isn't good for your physical health directly) as cigarette smoking. The largest reason is because pipe smoke isn't inhaled like you would with a cigarette. Rather you just puff and let it out, enjoying the flavors of whatever blend you happen to be smoking. As far as I can tell, that's part of the reason that addiction doesn't seem to be an issue for pipe smokers. The other part is, I think, mostly psychological.

When someone smokes cigarettes, they're almost immediately in the mind set that it's a bad thing to do and it's something they do because it's a habit and they need their nicotine fix. When someone is smoking a pipe, they are thinking they're doing it for relaxation and enjoyment and they're doing something classy that they can be proud of and share. I feel that the mindsets behind the two (or three if you consider cigars) of smoking tobacco is something that makes a big difference in the end. Studies have also shown that the stress-relieving benefits of smoking a pipe as a hobby can, in some ways, outweigh the negatives. Supposedly, according to some studies, pipe smokers live an average of 2 years longer than non-smokers (that is people that do not smoke at all).

As for the expenses part. It's actually a fairly cheap hobby. Like most hobbies, you can invest as little or as much as you want. Most of your expenses will probably come from pipe purchases. You can buy estate pipes in bulk for decent sums ($30-90 USD), or hand-made pipes for anywhere from $20 to $200. You can go for cheap basket pipes that will cost as little as $2. It's usually suggested to have several pipes if you plan to smoke more than once a day, as it's popular to keep a "rotation" to allow pipes to "rest" (honestly, I don't believe that a pipe needs to rest for 24 or 48 hours or whatever other nonsense people tend to believe... of course maybe I'll be proven wrong with experience.)

For me, that's also part of the appeal. I like the idea of collecting. From my research, I've found that Churchwardens are honestly my favorite type of pipe for aesthetics. It looks like something out of a fantasy book, the longer stem is supposed to provide a cooler, smoother draw of smoke which will allow for better flavor, and they're pretty rare within the already rare pipe-smoking world. After that, I've been eying pipes with the Dublin bowl type. I will probably go for one of those as my second pipe in my collection, although I may buy a higher quality Churchwarden instead.

As for the tobacco, it's so much cheaper than cigarettes that I was actually quite pissed that my family went with cigarettes for nicotine rather than pipe smoking. Even if they puffed away on a pipe all day, non-stop, their health wouldn't be at so much risk as if they smoked a few cigarettes a day. And their pockets wouldn't have been so empty constantly, either. You can buy 5oz of almost any blend, type or quality of pipe tobacco online for like $10-15. That's enough to last you several weeks if you plan to smoke frequently, longer if you're the type for just a bowl or two at night while reading or after dinner to relax.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Smokeless cigs may have lots of harmful stuff in them.
    On the packages I have seen there is usually a warning that ingesting the unvaporized substance can be harmful/fatal and not to use at all if you are pregnant.

There are also water vapor based e-cigs that are just water vapor designed to help quit. So, pointless.

But honestly, the only place you will look cool smoking that is D-Con or if you normally look like a wizard. Otherwise you risk looking like a hipster douche.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    But honestly, the only place you will look cool smoking that is D-Con or if you normally look like a wizard. Otherwise you risk looking like a hipster douche.
    If you mean the pipe, I don't plan to smoke it in public or even in front of people if I can help it. Not my idea of a relaxing experience being around people.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

You don't honestly believe that smoking tobacco from a pipe is going to be healthy.
    When you read how people talk about it, its just the exact same bullshit that people said about cigarettes 30 years ago...
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-19-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Stay frosty.

You don't honestly believe that smoking tobacco from a pipe is going to be healthy.
    When you read how people talk about it, its just the exact same bullshit that people said about cigarettes 30 years ago...
    Who said it would be healthy?
    -Cingal

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Who said it would be healthy?
    Oh well, the thing about the study that pipe-smokers supposedly live longer gave me a bit of a head-scratching itch, that's all. The other thing about pipe-smokers being happier about their addiction/hobby is just the same thing smokers would say to sleep better at night and rationalize the fact that they are gurgling cancer causing fumes.

You have made up your mind, you are an adult, have fun. I hope you draw a lucky card and don't develop any condition whatsoever. I just can't tell you that I think you are doing the right thing. Can't you relax drinking coffee or tea, or something, that isn't just as prone to cause cancer?

Stay frosty.

Oh well, the thing about the study that pipe-smokers supposedly live longer gave me a bit of a head-scratching itch, that's all. The other thing about pipe-smokers being happier about their addiction/hobby is just the same thing smokers would say to sleep better at night and rationalize the fact that they are gurgling cancer causing fumes.

You have made up your mind, you are an adult, have fun. I hope you draw a lucky card and don't develop any condition whatsoever. I just can't tell you that I think you are doing the right thing. Can't you relax drinking coffee or tea, or something, that isn't just as prone to cause cancer?
    Consumption of anything processed or altered will have a chance of causing some kind of issue. It's a risk vs reward choice. I think the rewards (a nice hobby, relaxation, something I'm interested in, etc...) outweigh the risks. I do drink both coffee and tea. More tea than coffee, though. In fact, I've found that I quite enjoy a cup of warm peppermint tea with a bowl.

I don't think any issues will arise. If any do, it'll either be soreness towards the back of my throat or an enhanced chance at gum infection. Of course, both of those can be avoided by proper counter measures (drinking something while smoking, brushing/flossing/salt water or mouth wash rinsing).

In all honestly, someone who takes up skiing, rock climbing, car racing, or even just driving safely on a town street, etc... is more at risk or hurting themselves or dying than someone who takes up pipe smoking. As you don't inhale pipe smoke (unless you choose to or do it by accident), you aren't putting your lungs at much risks. You're having about the same amount of risks as you would if you stood next to a fire, or are living in a dense city with a lot of air pollution.

I'm not saying it's healthy, it's definitely not (unless you count stress-relieving benefits and I don't quite). I'm just saying it's not as much of a risks as you initially think it would be.
    -Cingal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast