Pipe Smoking

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Default Pipe Smoking

Anyone on these boards do it? To be clear, I mean tobacco smoking pipes. There was a conversation either in a thread or the shoutbox, can't remember which, that brought up the topic of Oister smoking a pipe. That got me interested in it, so I've been doing some research.

Until recently, I've never thought about smoking. My family has done it since I was a child, and I've grown up with smokers in the same house all my life. Because of that, smoking (specifically, cigarettes) has never appealed to me. However, the idea of smoking a pipe (specifically the kind referred to as a "Churchwarden")as become appealing. Probably due to clever product placement by tobacco corporations in the LOTR movies.

Here is a pic

The pro's of this type of pipe are:
    • Looks bad-ass
    • You won't have it in your mouth constantly like you would with some other types of pipes, so that means less draws
    • The bowl isn't very large so you wont be smoking as much
    • The long stem results in a longer, smoother, cooler draw of smoke which (so people have said) makes for better flavor

Of course, when thinking of consuming something that is toxic to your body, I've decided to look up and research a bit about tobacco smoking via a pipe. From what I read, it's basically the same type of tobacco you would get from a cigarette, with some minute differences. It's just as addictive, and (unless it's 'organic') has almost the same chemicals put in for flavor, aroma, etc... Basically, it's not any safer than cigarettes.

EXCEEEEEPT, from what I've read, pipe smokers tend to feel that they're not addicted to it as much as a cigarette or cigar smoker is. In fact, the only pipe smokers I've seen mention needing to get their "fix" are the ones that take part in other types of tobacco consumption as well (mainly cigar smoking, but sometimes cigarettes). I believe this is because, unlike cigarettes which become a habit, smoking a pipe is seen more as a recreation. Most of the pipe-only smokers I've seen on the net (tens of youtube vloggers, about ten bloggers, and some random people on forums/video comments) say they've gone days and weeks between smokes with no problem. There body even seems to "reject" the want for smoking a pipe when they're sick as well. I don't think this is a physical response, but a psychological one made from the fact that these people are seeing it as a recreation to be done for pleasure, rather than a habit needed to not suffer.

So, the purpose of this thread? Discuss the topic. If any of you smoke pipes, please share any information/insight/experiences with it.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    You shouldn't smoke because you think it looks cool. Didn't you go to middle school man?
    I.... no .___.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 649
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

Eh, meant to delete that. I was mostly kidding. Do it if you want to man. But because it "looks bad-ass" is a pretty bad reason to start smoking, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    Eh, meant to delete that. I was mostly kidding. Do it if you want to man. But because it "looks bad-ass" is a pretty bad reason to start smoking, IMO.
    That was a joke. As well as the LOTR part.

It really interest me as it seem like it would be a calming hobby. It employs a lot of neat things that interest me. Art (wood working, carving, etc...), collecting (there's a lot of neat pipes out there, and you can get a ton pretty cheap from estate sales... it's almost a bit like baseball card collecting in that regard), there's a lot of types of tobacco and non-tobacco/no-nicotine herbal smokes to try out.

And to be honest, I need a bit more routine in my life. Right now, I go to sleep whenever I want, I wake up whenever I want, I eat whenever I want, I play games whenever I want, I read whenever I want, and I write whenever I want. I've tried doing walking and whatnot, but it just never sticks and I don't enjoy it the way some others do. Setting up for a routine smoke after dinner might help with my mood. That's definitely not a good reason to smoke by itself, but combined with the above reasons, it seems like not to bad of an option.

Also, I made this thread to discuss this out before I made any rash decisions. I've been researching and thinking about it for a bit now, and figured I'd talk it out with some friends + OnRPG before committing.
    -Cingal

The Undead Reputation: 448

pipe without the slow death part.

maybe...

I don't really know how safe these "e-cigs" are.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post

maybe...

Could be an alternative, but is this just something for those trying to quit?
    -Cingal

The Undead Reputation: 448

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Could be an alternative, but is this just something for those trying to quit?
    I think that was the original intention yes, but I don't see why it couldn't also be used for someone wanting to see what it's like without ruining your lungs in the process.

I was thinking of going with this pipe and a package of this herbal mixture. There's a few other flavors, and a few other brands of herbal blends. So I can probably find something I enjoy.

The pipe is alright, nothing amazing but you get what you pay for. The bowl is wood, but the stem is metal. That may be a bit of an issue, as the wood stems are supposed to act as a bit of a natural filter (at least for the moisture in the smoke). Of course, you can also use 9mm filters in this if you want to, so may not be an issue either way. I'm thinking if I go with herbal mixtures, I probably wont bother with filters. The only complaints I've seen about that pipe are that it is fragile (which makes sense...). Most of the reviews seem to be 4-5 stars so I think it would be something good to start with.
    -Cingal

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

maybe...

They're more safe than normal tobacco, but they haven't been around long enough for us to know by how much.

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 40

Bruh. 10char

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast