Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Smoking

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

Default Pipe Smoking

Anyone on these boards do it? To be clear, I mean tobacco smoking pipes. There was a conversation either in a thread or the shoutbox, can't remember which, that brought up the topic of Oister smoking a pipe. That got me interested in it, so I've been doing some research.

Until recently, I've never thought about smoking. My family has done it since I was a child, and I've grown up with smokers in the same house all my life. Because of that, smoking (specifically, cigarettes) has never appealed to me. However, the idea of smoking a pipe (specifically the kind referred to as a "Churchwarden")as become appealing. Probably due to clever product placement by tobacco corporations in the LOTR movies.

Here is a pic

The pro's of this type of pipe are:
    • Looks bad-ass
    • You won't have it in your mouth constantly like you would with some other types of pipes, so that means less draws
    • The bowl isn't very large so you wont be smoking as much
    • The long stem results in a longer, smoother, cooler draw of smoke which (so people have said) makes for better flavor

Of course, when thinking of consuming something that is toxic to your body, I've decided to look up and research a bit about tobacco smoking via a pipe. From what I read, it's basically the same type of tobacco you would get from a cigarette, with some minute differences. It's just as addictive, and (unless it's 'organic') has almost the same chemicals put in for flavor, aroma, etc... Basically, it's not any safer than cigarettes.

EXCEEEEEPT, from what I've read, pipe smokers tend to feel that they're not addicted to it as much as a cigarette or cigar smoker is. In fact, the only pipe smokers I've seen mention needing to get their "fix" are the ones that take part in other types of tobacco consumption as well (mainly cigar smoking, but sometimes cigarettes). I believe this is because, unlike cigarettes which become a habit, smoking a pipe is seen more as a recreation. Most of the pipe-only smokers I've seen on the net (tens of youtube vloggers, about ten bloggers, and some random people on forums/video comments) say they've gone days and weeks between smokes with no problem. There body even seems to "reject" the want for smoking a pipe when they're sick as well. I don't think this is a physical response, but a psychological one made from the fact that these people are seeing it as a recreation to be done for pleasure, rather than a habit needed to not suffer.

So, the purpose of this thread? Discuss the topic. If any of you smoke pipes, please share any information/insight/experiences with it.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    You shouldn't smoke because you think it looks cool. Didn't you go to middle school man?
    I.... no .___.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

$$$

Eh, meant to delete that. I was mostly kidding. Do it if you want to man. But because it "looks bad-ass" is a pretty bad reason to start smoking, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    Eh, meant to delete that. I was mostly kidding. Do it if you want to man. But because it "looks bad-ass" is a pretty bad reason to start smoking, IMO.
    That was a joke. As well as the LOTR part.

It really interest me as it seem like it would be a calming hobby. It employs a lot of neat things that interest me. Art (wood working, carving, etc...), collecting (there's a lot of neat pipes out there, and you can get a ton pretty cheap from estate sales... it's almost a bit like baseball card collecting in that regard), there's a lot of types of tobacco and non-tobacco/no-nicotine herbal smokes to try out.

And to be honest, I need a bit more routine in my life. Right now, I go to sleep whenever I want, I wake up whenever I want, I eat whenever I want, I play games whenever I want, I read whenever I want, and I write whenever I want. I've tried doing walking and whatnot, but it just never sticks and I don't enjoy it the way some others do. Setting up for a routine smoke after dinner might help with my mood. That's definitely not a good reason to smoke by itself, but combined with the above reasons, it seems like not to bad of an option.

Also, I made this thread to discuss this out before I made any rash decisions. I've been researching and thinking about it for a bit now, and figured I'd talk it out with some friends + OnRPG before committing.
    -Cingal

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

pipe without the slow death part.

maybe...

I don't really know how safe these "e-cigs" are.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    Bruh. 10char

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422

when i read pipe ... i thought about something quite different ... if you know what i mean.
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Bit of an update.

I got my pipe and my tobaccos yesterday. So far, I've tried all five of the tobaccos in my sampler kit once. I've yet to be able to get any "flavor" from the tobacco, but from what I've heard it takes a while before you actually will. I dunno. I plan to smoke all the tobacco I have and then I will decide if I want to continue or not.
    -Cingal

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 22

I think some of that green tobacco is the best ^^

R.I.P Tupac Amaru Shakur

1971-1996

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

Tupac Shakur

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 279

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    and then I will decide if I want to continue or not.
    I hear it's addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    I hear it's addictive.
    It's tobacco and it has nicotine. It doesn't have quite the hold that cigarettes do, though. At least from what I've seen and read. If it does come to quitting, I don't think I'll have a problem stopping. And if I do have a problem, oh well. I'll just have to deal with whatever withdraw symptoms I get for a week or two.

As of yet, I've felt no draw to. Each time I've smoked, it wasn't because I felt like I had to, but rather I wanted to. I'll post another update in a few days or a week or so to update and say whether what I've said today is still true.
    -Cingal

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 279

lol
    I suffer serious withdrawal away from the computer. It takes about 5-6 hours for symptoms to appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    lol
    I suffer serious withdrawal away from the computer. It takes about 5-6 hours for symptoms to appear.
    I know that feel u.u But it's more because I've built my life around the computer, and I don't know how to function without regular use.
    -Cingal

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

Addiction in that case won't come from the nicotine, but from habituation. People get used to smoking (be it cigars, cigarettes, pipes, hookah, whatever) at a certain time. Its not necessarily that the chemical addiction is overwhelming (let's face it, there are PLENTY of nicotine tapering products) but the "ritual" of smoking will become something you miss. I never really smoked any tobacco, but I constantly see it in my friends who smoke cigarettes. They have one or two beers and suddenly really want to smoke. The only time they smoke is when they drink, or after their morning coffee, etc.

I read somewhere it takes a month to make/break a habit. I'm sure that is just a guesstimate, but you get the idea.

That said, I'd much rather smoke pipe tobacco. Every time I watch LOTR I want to buy some, but then I get distracted and forget. It smells so nice too (not sarcasm, it does). The only guy I knew who smoked a pipe was a really really awful wanna-be hippie "anarchist" hipster douchebag who lived in a tent and sewed his own clothes because he was an *******. (not that I'm against that lifestyle, he just had the shittiest attitude about it. an elitist "I'm better than you because I fight the system" jerk). So whenever I see it, it reminds me of him, which in turn reminds me of my hatred for him. Shame he ruined it for me.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 22

Why dont u guys get vapes lol? Smoking tobacco is quite stupid in my opinion, they have better alternatives then chew, cigs, etc

Just go on ebay and buy a Ego-t vaping 1100mah for $10 and go to your local vaping store and buy some juice and a tank total cost of like $20 or so.

Plus your not causing urself cancer and or giving people around u cancer, also these things are legal in most public places

R.I.P Tupac Amaru Shakur

1971-1996

"I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world."

Tupac Shakur

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    You don't honestly believe that smoking tobacco from a pipe is going to be healthy.
    When you read how people talk about it, its just the exact same bullshit that people said about cigarettes 30 years ago...
    Who said it would be healthy?
    -Cingal

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 677

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Who said it would be healthy?
    Oh well, the thing about the study that pipe-smokers supposedly live longer gave me a bit of a head-scratching itch, that's all. The other thing about pipe-smokers being happier about their addiction/hobby is just the same thing smokers would say to sleep better at night and rationalize the fact that they are gurgling cancer causing fumes.

You have made up your mind, you are an adult, have fun. I hope you draw a lucky card and don't develop any condition whatsoever. I just can't tell you that I think you are doing the right thing. Can't you relax drinking coffee or tea, or something, that isn't just as prone to cause cancer?

Stay frosty.