Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tera vs Guild Wars 2.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Talking Tera vs Guild Wars 2.

I've been playing Tera for about a week now after playing wow for 9 years im in hope of finding a game to take me away from world of warcraft. Before I get too settled down with Tera I was thinking of giving GW2 a try, just didn't wanna waste the money and Tera be the better of the two games. I know its probably just one opinion vs another but id like to hear others views on the 2 games.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

Didn't like Tera. Felt too much like console's mindless button smashing game.
    Guild War 2 has nice combat mechanics. It's not perfect, but it's fun to play.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 139

In terms of combat, both Tera and Guild Wars 2 are equally good.

Tera is a bit generic on the quest-side. You just have your usual go kill monsters quests, so it's just your normal go to spawn place, kill monsters, go back to NPC gameplay.
    Guild Wars 2 has a very unique quest system and has also some quite exciting aspects about them.

Tera has a higher population though, especially in PVE. GW2 suffers a lot in PVE by having hardly any PVE players left. It still has a high population but most are just doing PVP.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 23

I is a f2p generic pay-to-win game. The other is a b2p non-pay-to-win game.

Outside of the MOBA genre GW2 has the best PvP out of any mmorpg. This is because the PvP is balanced in terms of who has access to what. In structured PvP in heart of the Mists everyone has access to the same items, same traits and same stat customization options.

The meta is not perfect however, the game currently has too much sustain and too many damage avoidance methods, as a result the best builds utilize condition damage or AI pets/phantasms/minions for passive persistent damage. A lot of people are unhappy with the current meta, but the devs have recently been taking notice of the community's woes and are making changes (granted at an excruciatingly slow pace).

Currently there is only one mode for PvP matches, that is domination Capture-the-Point.

As for PvE and WvW, they are not my cup of tea, but others may like it. You don't need to do any PvE or WvW content in order to PvP. In heart of the Mists everyone is at lvl 80, even if your PvE character is lvl 2.

WvW is kind of softcore PvP because gear and levels are a factor and more often than not it is Zerg v. Zerg gameplay. The success of your realm is mostly determined by whether or not you have an active healthy WvW-ing population around the clock. If your realm does not have a solid night crew then the other realms will just cap everything overnight.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 53

Unique questing system in GW2? Its the same thing just without NPCs to run to and no funny story behind them so quite boring system.
    In a long term, when u play a MMO u only care about the quest system while lvling.
    In Tera there is Open WOrld PvP, in GW2 there isnt.Guild Wars 2 class/combat system is very boring, just spam all ur skills that arent on cooldown with semi-autoaiming. And not to mention horrible no class trinity system. Oh yea Tera is also free =p

RIP Xfire

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Methix View Post
    I've been playing Tera for about a week now after playing wow for 9 years im in hope of finding a game to take me away from world of warcraft. Before I get too settled down with Tera I was thinking of giving GW2 a try, just didn't wanna waste the money and Tera be the better of the two games. I know its probably just one opinion vs another but id like to hear others views on the 2 games.
    Guild Wars 2, its nice combat,nice lvling,+ its never get booring while you playing....You can do 10x more things in GW2,and yes i played Tera ....

Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 32

Played TERA and I must say that I hated it. The combat was slow even after I made EVERY class the game had to offer,the only class I liked who could summon guardians or "pets" was pointless due to the pets sucking,and the graphics(although nice)honestly didn't catch my attention at all.

GW2 however seems a bit more popular and has more players but they are all in pvp and only a few in pve. :/
    That's my only gripe :c

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422

Quote Originally Posted by Igneius View Post
    Played TERA and I must say that I hated it. The combat was slow even after I made EVERY class the game had to offer,the only class I liked who could summon guardians or "pets" was pointless due to the pets sucking,and the graphics(although nice)honestly didn't catch my attention at all.

GW2 however seems a bit more popular and has more players but they are all in pvp and only a few in pve. :/
    That's my only gripe :c
    what kind of a desert of a server you play on ? ... lool whenever i log in i cant get out of overflow ... and i play on Desolation.
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Sonic’s Milkshake Reputation: 16

GW2 is the best MMO I've played. And I've been playing MMOs since 2001 and had a couple of years of extreme game hopping. It's not perfect, but it does so many things right that it makes many other MMOs unplayable for me. And the PvE isn't dying or anything at all, nor the WvW. PvP is actually the lower population of the game, and even that has a decent amount of players. The only parts of PvE that might be a bit slow are the lower level zones since everyone's already capped and most people stick to dungeons, events, and champions. But honestly, every aspect of leveling from 1-80 is soloable, so there shouldn't be any problem on that side of things. And you'll find people running around, just maybe not as many as you might hope if you're super social.

what kind of a desert of a server you play on ? ... lool whenever i log in i cant get out of overflow ... and i play on Desolation.
    Oh the irony that the server that is not desolate is called Desolation.

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 61

I play both and like both, but GW2 is overall a much better game. It gets repetitive though.

Currently playing: FFXIV (Elucifer Arclight, Leviathan server), LoL (Trash Tier Waifu, NA server), SMITE (Zacewing)

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    In terms of combat, both Tera and Guild Wars 2 are equally good.

Tera is a bit generic on the quest-side. You just have your usual go kill monsters quests, so it's just your normal go to spawn place, kill monsters, go back to NPC gameplay.
    Guild Wars 2 has a very unique quest system and has also some quite exciting aspects about them.

Tera has a higher population though, especially in PVE. GW2 suffers a lot in PVE by having hardly any PVE players left. It still has a high population but most are just doing PVP.
    Uhm yeah, in a pvp game. So it balances out.
    Tho, I find GW1 to be the real pvp game. Balanced and one of the best pvp gameplay. Hate gw2.

But if it comes to whats better in general, its gw2

GW2 was never really advertised as a PVP game, though. They mostly bragged about their total new dynamic quest system which was said to revolutionize quests in MMORPGs.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

GW2 without Holy Trinity is a highlight positive, not a negative <_<"
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    GW2 without Holy Trinity is a highlight positive, not a negative <_<"
    To you, I think the lack of a Holy Trinity makes it shit.

P2W on TERA though... This was sarcasm right? TERA's Cash Shop is useless, absolutely useless. At most you'll get a mount, you'll likely just buy one in game so it doesn't even matter.
    TERA is also popular, arguably one of the most popular Free to Play games available. People that complain about the quest system are plain spoiled, the grind isn't even that rigorous. There were Primes(First to level 60) on day 2 if not day 3, on top of that the combat is enjoyable. No one has a reason to complain over the grind, maybe that it's generic. If you didn't want that then why'd you come, they didn't advertise the quest system or any feature other then BAMs, the combat and graphics.

Now GW2, This game is a whole entire magic show. They give you the dynamic events, level scaling, a personal story, personal builds, early pvp, and a great quest system.
    Then you go to the same magic show the second time and realise the tricks behind the illusion.Dynamic events are just a slug fest between who can spam enough skills. A frenzy of zergs.
    Level scaling, mentoring in other games.
    A personal story, You choose from 4 options which reach their conclusion around level 20
    Personal builds, One will always be the most viable. From what I've seen as well, every character comes up to the same skills at the end as well. You also don't get to tamper with stats which is a huge disappointment to me
    Early PVP, I wonder how many people actually play PVE at this point. This essentially made the game a lobby based game, PVE is a desert as was mentioned before.
    Great questing system, It's your average questing system, that happens to be well made (Instead of a number, it's a bar. Instead of walking to NPC, they acknowledge you've done your job.) Once again a questing system released that makes no direct impact to the game. I'm sure this was revolutionary.

Since I'm done raging about GW2's Illusion. I'll say honestly, that the both of them are about on the same level. Both has their pros and Cons.
    TERA PROs:
    Combat is fluid and fun
    Generic, but a decent one.
    Holy trinity(Personally love this)
    Balanced PVP
    Fun mass-group pvp
    PVE is really enjoyable
    FREE
    Cons:
    Venarch system feels underwhelming
    Combat is pretty niche
    Questing system is tedious
    Leveling will feel like burden sometimes
    Bams aren't as badass as they're exaggerated to be
    The PVP isn't well developed.

GW2 Pros
    Questing system is enjoyable
    Variety
    sPVP is actually pretty fun
    Diverse class system
    WvWvW is quite intense the first couple of times
    Individuality
    Combat is also enjoyable to a degree
    Cons:
    Dynamic events aren't as Dynamic as they're advertised to be.
    WvWvW is a spam fest as well as Dynamic event.
    PVE is a ghost town
    No Holy trinity
    Quest system still isn't as innovated to be worth diving into
    B2P

Both have gorgeous graphics, and are constantly updated
    Last edited by Heartyace; 01-14-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your average commentor
    If she has anime flu, she will die.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 12

have you given ffxiv:ARA a look? I think you might get a closer feeling to wow end-game in ffxiv than both of the other games mentioned. its also p2p like WoW, so you don't need to worry about the company being greedy.

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 102

Simply put Guildwars 2 is the better choice.

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 61

In what universe is PvE a ghost town in GW2? I see plenty of people doing PvE content when I play. Although player distribution between zones is vastly uneven.

Currently playing: FFXIV (Elucifer Arclight, Leviathan server), LoL (Trash Tier Waifu, NA server), SMITE (Zacewing)

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 83

I found GW2 "unique" questing system mediocre. Instead of getting a quest from an NPC, you just go to the zone and it tells you what you need to do. It's still the same "kill this, collect that" type of quests. Just a masked version of your generic questing system you see in other games.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Oh the irony that the server that is not desolate is called Desolation.
    Buh Dun Psh

Fat Bowser Reputation: 23

I saw both...I think I like GW2 better.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

I prefer Gw2 over Tera.

Tera is bland until end-game. Literally nothing worth doing until 60. The same could be said for GW2 but PVP is twerkin very early unlike Tera.
    Pride is a wonderful trait.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 17

I prefer Tera over GW2, but the reason why I cannot play Tera is, because the UI is probably the worst ever piece of junk thingie ever coded. I can understand that it takes some time render UI, but managing to cut fps from 90 to 20 by having UI shown is too much. I still cannot understand why that hasn't been fixed, even tho it makes the whole game almost unplayable for vast majority of people...

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Forever Tera fan here.

Played both games. I must admit i quitted GW2 after 2 weeks. GW2 is a pvp game. If you're not into pvp, that game is useless for you. At least it was for me....figure that i always play a healer class in every game i play and i could not find my place in it.

Who says he doesn't like Tera, its most probably because his pc/laptop can't handle it or at max he can play with minimal settings and a very bad fps. I would totally not enjoy a game as well in those conditions and i probably say is a piece of shiet too lol. The game is awesome if you can play it at least at medium settings; this way you have a decent fps, you don't loose fluidity on the mouse and the attack won't be sloppy and awkward and won't feel like you're a total noob because most of the times you miss the target (especially if you're a caster). Also you would enjoy the AWESOME graphics that Tera has and i can say - after playing almost everything could be play - that no other game has. Happens that my pc handles it at ultra settings and the game is the best atm in any way shape or form.

I laughed so hard when i read someone said is a pay to win game. Lol wut? I never payed a dime, though i could buy to my both chars mounts and fashion and keys to open boxes, because that's pretty all you can buy in that game from the shop. If there is a F2P game that is not a pay 2 win on the market, the only one existent is Tera.

I went back to it after the Aura Kingdom delusion and i brought back with me my lil sister and her fiancee that as well has a couple of friends who just installed it. The game is highly populated even on the newbie zones, the quests are quick and fun to do, the dungeons are great and various, the bams are also fun to kill even after the huge nerf (who sais they was a disappointment probably didn't played the initial bams when you needed a full party and hella lots of pots and a good healer in order to kill one, figure to farm them as simple mobs! I sooo miss those times!! ) And Tera is highly recommended to be played with at least one friend, either is a real life one or a friend you make in game...otherwise you would get bored asap and quick even more faster.

TL;DR: To make it short, GW2 for me and my friends looks a cheap zergfest for which you must pay in order to play.
    I would choose Tera over it all the way.
    Cheers.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 91

Prefer GW2 myself. Partially because I can't stand most of the female armor in the game, and mostly because.....I don't know, something about the game just felt off to me......not to mention that to me at least, Tera looked worse (but not by a large margin mind you) while actually running worse then GW2 on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.