One weird phobia (involving graphics and video games)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 41

Default One weird phobia (involving graphics and video games)

So I finally got a copy of Monster Hunter Ultimate 3 (or is it 3 Ultimate?) for the Wii U.
    I pop it in, enjoy it immensely, then get to the quest, "Guts, It's What's For Dinner" and realize 1. I have to fight underwater and 2. I have to pay attention to my surroundings in case a specific big boss monster shows up every now and then and I have to swim to land and run out of the area as fast as I can if he spots me.
    And looking it up...this quest is required.
    Being underwater makes me feel helpless enough, but the boss is just big enough to freak me out.

It was at this time I realized I have the weirdest phobia ever.
    I don't even know what to call it but, I think it IS a phobia of sorts because it really seems to scare me.
    When I see a huge monster in a video game, and I mean my character is very little or itsy bitsy in comparison....I freak the frick out.
    And not the fun, "Teehee, this is a fictional setting and all is awesome!" kinda freak out.
    I mean I shake, I get scared to blink or go to sleep, I become paranoid...

Does anybody ANYBODY know what the heck is going on here?!
    What kind of sane person gets so shaken up by graphics?!!
    Also, noooo I just got this game and if I don't conquer this phobia I won't be able to enjoy it!!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    What kind of sane person gets so shaken up by graphics?!!
    One who is heavily immersed by said game. There is nothing weird about your fear. It's just like people who get afraid from scary movies. There is nothing real about it. The viewer knows there is nothing real about it. But yet said viewer ends up afraid. As far as what you are speaking of specifically, a lot of people get freaked out by the idea of being so helpless, especially in water. Add in the fact you're not such a top dog predator in water and your instinct kicks in, telling you to gtfo. It doesn't matter if you know what you're experiencing isn't real, be it from a movie or video game. While you may understand such things, your base instincts do not. Hence your emotions and feelings will kick in, even if it is for something "fake".

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 619

cant say i know what you talk about :P i only feel excitement for knowing i'm gonna beat that big ass monster, no fear or any of that sort :P

Currently Playing: WoW

>Screenshot Collection 2013-2014<

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

i don't get freaked out by giant bosses, but swimming in bodies of water larger than like, a pond in games seriously freaks me out, a lot of the time. especially dark underwater areas or ones where you can't see the bottom or top of the area clearly (so, i'm fine with swimming in ocarina of time, for instance, but i am not fine with swimming in elder scrolls games)
    Last edited by postrook; 01-16-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Waters where I can't see the bottom or or coast freak me out. I will most likely quit the game than ry to find my way out.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

It's called fear. It helps humans react before being eaten by bigger predators. Game designers noticed that we've evolved to be afraid of and/or fight against predators that want to eat us, and used it as a gameplay element I guess.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

I still get a little scared whenever I have to swim out in big oceans in games, so when I first started playing it kinda freaked me out as well. But a part of Monster Hunter is about the sense of dread and danger that comes when you face up against a creature. I think it's best to approach both the environment and the quarry with a plan: scope out the details and focus on how to survive against them.

You are not going to drown instantly when you are in water, you have time and there are air pockets along the bottom. There's only so far you can go out so you don't have to worry about being swept away in a tide. The monster you are facing may be large and look fearsome, but just like you, it only can take so much damage until it collapses in defeat. And every monster will run away from you the little guy/girl once you've knocked it around a bit.

Focus on find where it's most vulnerable and keep hitting at that spot. Just get close enough to it to observe it's reactions and focus on evading the attacks. Each monster can only come at your in so many ways, once you know them all, you can be better prepared for what will come next. Learn how quickly they can swipe or lash out at you and you'll start to realize how clumsy they can be.

Always go prepared, have plenty of health restoring items until you get the hang of your foe. Fighting underwater won't be so bad and you may even realize it's a bit easier in some cases.

Also try playing with someone, you might just be nervous facing things on your own, but with a partner it won't seem as bad.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 93

Biggest phobia for me in games.

Death traps. Where you have to avoid at all costs or you face a gruesome terrible death. One of the biggest reasons why I did NOT like playing Dead Space.

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 605

Quote Originally Posted by darkness35 View Post
    Biggest phobia for me in games.

Death traps. Where you have to avoid at all costs or you face a gruesome terrible death. One of the biggest reasons why I did NOT like playing Dead Space.
    You should give Dark Souls a try.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Exposure therapy:
    Load a close safe, run in and drown. If you are still scared and not bored after 25 times doing that, you prob have an issue.

Stay frosty.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast