The Secret World

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 15

I bought this way back when it first went no sub, and when the game first appeared on steam.

how much new content am i going to have to buy to get all the current in game content? and how much is all that going to cost me?

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 20

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Been having fun with the game. I love how great the stories in this game is. And it's not just one big epic story either. It's a bunch of epic, in-depth stories with a lot of interesting characters.

I've been working on a new build, chaos and fist weapons. I like it a lot better than my chaos/blood build as it's a hundred times easier to solo content with it.
    fist weapons are good for solo and healing so its a good weapon to start with and chaos burst abilities complements it well. I usually went for chaos/blade for solo play as its counted as one of the best solo builds out there but using several passive skills from other weapons like fist weapon hp regens, shotgun's penetration effect etc.

a good build does not consist solely of skills from two weapons but uses many passives from other sets but you will get there later on. The new subskill system or whatever they call it that was added with the venice update, should add several new effects to equipped skills

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by wyruz View Post
    fist weapons are good for solo and healing so its a good weapon to start with and chaos burst abilities complements it well. I usually went for chaos/blade for solo play as its counted as one of the best solo builds out there but using several passive skills from other weapons like fist weapon hp regens, shotgun's penetration effect etc.

a good build does not consist solely of skills from two weapons but uses many passives from other sets but you will get there later on. The new subskill system or whatever they call it that was added with the venice update, should add several new effects to equipped skills
    Wait, wasn't Secret World advertised as "You can be everything on one character?"

The right man, in the wrong place... can make all the difference in the world.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next · Saving For: PlayStation 4

Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 41

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Wait, wasn't Secret World advertised as "You can be everything on one character?"
    Yup! And you totaly can, though it's way easier to earn points earlier on than latter
    How ever! basicly any green quest will give you about SIX full AP, which is pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    Yup! And you totaly can, though it's way easier to earn points earlier on than latter
    How ever! basicly any green quest will give you about SIX full AP, which is pretty awesome!
    I meant "Everything" like FF2 / Mabinogi, where you didn't need to switch weapons/etc. to have everything. For instance. If I choose a passive in one weapon tree, it stays forever, no matter how many weapons I Switch to/from. This also means, I can use every weapon in the game on one character.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I meant "Everything" like FF2 / Mabinogi, where you didn't need to switch weapons/etc. to have everything. For instance. If I choose a passive in one weapon tree, it stays forever, no matter how many weapons I Switch to/from. This also means, I can use every weapon in the game on one character.
    There's something like 500+ skills in the game. You can have around 8 active and 8 passive abilities active at anyone one time. You can equip two weapons at a time, and most (if not all?) active abilities require that the weapon that the ability is from/connected to be equipped to use the ability. However, that is not the case for passives. For example, I am going to have a shotgun passive on my fist/chaos build.

You can get an infinite number of AP, and most quest are repeatable. You also (At least early on, may get harder as you go) get quite a decent amount of AP exp from killing things.

You can switch your abilities on the fly, and it can be made easier via the deck system (which includes custom decks, but only with an addon I think?). A deck is pretty much a "build."

It's a pretty fantastic system which keeps things at least a bit challenging as you wont be able to do everything at once. I enjoyed the idea of being able to have every skill however high I liked in Darkfall, but once I saw and experienced it in practice, I ended up hating how everyone ended up doing the same stuff, having the same skills, passives, etc... trained. Everyone was a caster, everyone was a melee, everyone was an archer, everyone was a healer/buffer, all wrapped into one and the combat became extremely boring. It became a matter of who had the best macro set-up to switch between abilities and toolbars.

Wurm is kinda the same. It's nearly impossible to catch up with vet players unless you plan to buy a vet account, which can cost 100-300 Euros or more.

Of course, both of those games are quite a bit more competitive than mabinogi and TSW. So the same issues may not apply. But overall, I don't like systems that allow for everyone to be done at once.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

But you can have every weapon and skill maxed out from every catagory o-o
    The maximum level is having everything unlocked, and you get a fancy tron suit for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave!Yognaught View Post
    But you can have every weapon and skill maxed out from every catagory o-o
    The maximum level is having everything unlocked, and you get a fancy tron suit for your efforts.
    ApocaRUFF said it better:
    There's something like 500+ skills in the game. You can have around 8 active and 8 passive abilities active at anyone one time. You can equip two weapons at a time, and most (if not all?) active abilities require that the weapon that the ability is from/connected to be equipped to use the ability. However, that is not the case for passives. For example, I am going to have a shotgun passive on my fist/chaos build.
    Now I'm unsure whether or not I should get it. I was hoping it'd be more like Mabinogi, in the sense that I could have infinite passives on one character active at a time, rather than 8 and that the passives don't require the weapon to be equipped. Of course, the reason why Mabinogi allows this is pretty simple. It's pretty hard to get some of the extra stat bonuses later on from a skill.

I noticed above that there was a easy-to-use solo build, the fists was it? Does it require combinations like Monk/Pugilist in FFXIV? If so, I'd never be able to play that class. A shame really, I was going to try the game out regardless, but without people to play it with (Since it's unlikely that I'll run into anyone from OnRPG during my times of playing...) I'd pretty much need a solo class.
    Last edited by coldReactive; 01-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

The fist/chaos build is more about doing a "rotation of abilities" for maximum effects (impaired, wecon etc..). On my phone atm or i would go more indepth. Ill come back and edit in a couple of hrs. But you shouldnt have an issue as the combat concepts are easy and fun to pickup. At least my opinion.

As for people to play with, i had mo issue finding a friendly random person to quest with yesterday. Also seems that at least one OnRPGer is online whenever i decide to get on.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Just got to run all the dungeons from Polaris to Darkness Wars with a person who had the epicenter outfit, she was our tank, healer and one of the three DPS. T'was fun, though where neither a new shotgun nor hammer dropped, the pistols did twice -.- (In Darkness Wars). Also, almost done my Puritan Deck, so i'll get a fancy new set of special clothing, though the last skill is going to cost about 113 AP, as the Puritan Deck has two freaking Elite skills =,=

Having a grand time, the end of the first story line is freaking awesome > (I took the present)

Edit: Also, here's all the Deck outfits, though the image seems tiny =,=

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...mpletemale.jpg (for a closer look)
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 01-28-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast