Do you know the history of your house? and your ancestors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

I don't know much about the history of my family. A majority of it identifies as Irish, though I've heard that some Scottish and Danish are in there as well. I've also heard that somewhere along the line one of my great great grandparents were Jewish. I know that back in the day, the family on my dads side owned a majority of Thompsonville, Illinois which is a small farming town. We still own the two grave yards in town, one of which is no longer receiving bodies and is family-only. It's pretty creepy, too, as it's surrounded by thick trees and you can only get to it via a small dirt path.

Don't know much about my moms side except for recent people.

As for the current house we live in, I'm not exactly sure how old it is. I would say it's at least from before the 50's, but I can't be for sure. The doors in the house are old, with door knobs that are closer to my knees than my waist. The locks on them are pretty odd, too. They're like a big ass box slapped on the inside of the door and they use skeleton-type keys. The stairs leading up to the second floor are extremely steep, too. Most of the windows are huge as well. The type that could probably double as a door-frame if you wanted, as you could easily walk through them if the windows and screens were taken out. Speaking of walk-through windows, one of the windows up here actually doubles as a door, so that you can bring furniture up here as the stair case is to steep for anything big that is already assembled.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

my family's house was built and then we bought it. there's been no other owners. there were other people living in the house my nonna lives in right now, but my nonno and my uncles and his friends built a lot of additions onto the house back in like the 70s i think, totally changed everything about it, basically. dunno about my dad's side.

as for history, on my mum's side, my nonni immigrated here from poor villages in Friuli, Italy, in the 50s. my nonno was a bricklayer. they lived in a small house in an Italian area of downtown Toronto for years before moving to North York, where the house i described above is, and which is now part of post-amalgamation Toronto. They had 7 kids. one of them passed away in childhood. one of them, my godfather, is a medical doctor now.

Back in Italy, their families eventually began to do quite well for themselves. I'm not entirely sure what my nonno's side do, but i think one of them is a bank manager. On my nonna's side, her village formed a cooperative (Cooperativa) to produce and sell grape plants for growing wine, and it's quite a lucrative business.

i know a lot less about my dad's side. my grandpa is of Iriish descent, and his family had been here for several generations already. He remembers when Scarborough was basically all farmland, and worked as a coal miner up near Collingwood. He and my grandma had a lucrative business running a GM dealership i think, but that folded, and he started a much more cautious, less lucrative but more stable business doing... a bunch of stuff with trucks and buses? i think it's mostly retrofitting and... stuff. he was apparently quietly doing the environmentally friendly thing long before it was cool, or so i've heard from other people. my grandma is british. i know basically nothing about her family, but they haven't been here as long as my grandpa's side.

oh, and all sides of my family are Roman Catholic, to greater and lesser degrees. the grandparents (except for my nonno, who didn't like religion much) are all staunchly religious. their kids are all reasonably religious i think, to greater and lesser degrees. and the third generation, which includes me, vary from quietly agnostic (me), ambivalent about it (most, i think) and religious (one or two).
    Last edited by postrook; 01-22-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 293

i know that its a shitty house ... that is why i pay like 250 for 2 room , kitchen , bathroom apartment ...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

many spooky murders happened at my house

this will educate you about my house:

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

as for my ancestors, they are mostly deceased.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 384

The house I lived in Missouri was once a mansion, but it was tore down and built into separate homes but we got to keep the land mass. I always wondered why our yard was so dam massive.

General Manager Reputation: 353

Duby's house story reminds me of that show "A Haunting." I was waiting for the part when demons started talking to you from the vent connecting your bedroom to the basement, as it would explain a lot.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Innovation is now having games play themselves? I don't want to live on this planet anymore. - Blackomen

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    Duby's house story reminds me of that show "A Haunting." I was waiting for the part when demons started talking to you from the vent connecting your bedroom to the basement, as it would explain a lot.
    well i got plenty of ghost stories of this house. and its not just me that see and here things.everyone that in my family lived here had storys.

one of the things that go on is. You can put something down on a table and you leave the room you come back its gone. it dont happen all the time. sometimes they are gone for a long time and then sometimes show up in another room. like i told you guys before i can feel negative energy i know sounds crazy right..but usely when i am alone i can feel like something is there. I mean physically feel. Like a sense. I see shadows walk around a lot in my room. There was some dust one time on my dresser. something made me look one time when i did. There was hoof prints. Its known some demons have hoofs and etc. I refuse to sleep with the lights off in my room. But mainly sleep down stairs.One thing that happen a lot in this house is odors. One will smell it the other wont. My grandmum smells perfume a really good smelling one she says and pipe tobacco. I smell death. And those flowers they have at a funeral home. Any ways that is all i will say for now. As im starting to feel un easy.

Loric's Lunatic Reputation: 116

My house was built around 1880 as a barn and then converted into a house in 1914 according to public records. After that it had a few additions and is now what it is today. Still tend to find old stuff buried in the yard or hidden in walls when doing remolding and such sometimes.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 253

Ancestors got raped by hamsters, which explains all my hamsteristics.

Pun win~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12