Starcraft 2 is now free to play (with some restrictions)

Hybrid View

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 39

Default Starcraft 2 is now free to play (with some restrictions)

I think Starcraft 2 is not only my favorite video game in the entire world, it is also my favorite and most enjoyed hobby. I am, simply put, an eSports fanatic. Professional gaming has always intrigued me and I keep a close eye on not only the Starcraft pro scene but also that of DoTA 2. LoL not so much really.

I'd really like to share my love of eSports and affection for Starcraft 2 with all of you, and now it's become easier than ever!

Starcraft 2 has officially become free to play, though as it says in the title, there is a catch.

The only features of Starcraft 2 that you can not access with a Starter Edition account are the campaign and ranked ladder matches. BUT if you are in a party with someone who bought the game, you can play ranked team ladder matches just not ranked 1v1 matches.

This means all 3 races are available. Every map ever made is available, blizzard maps, old ladder maps, current ladder maps, custom maps, and even the maps you've created on your own!

This ALSO means that the arcade is free, as well as the map editor and extension mod editor. The arcade is a compilation of all the custom games people have created using Blizzard's tools. Honestly, there are so many arcade games it's ridiculous, and most of them could be considered complex enough to be their own game. Custom controls, graphics, textures, everything. The arcade is the hub for all "UMS" games for those who have played Brood War in the past. The potential of the arcade and map editor to make these arcade games is literally limitless.

I'm very excited about this momentous day, as this will surely bring a new influx of players.

If anyone wants to get started in Starcraft 2, feel free to message me and I can teach you some basics and/or play some team games with you. I am a Diamond Terran player, so I am OKAY at this game.

We can even play a limitless number of arcade games together!

I could try my hardest to explain all the brand new wonderful features in Starcraft 2, but hopefully I've provided the incentive to try it out yourself!

If you have ANY questions at all, if I've made things unclear for you, please ask either in this thread or message me.

Any ways, here are a few links for you folks to check out.

Direct Link to Starter Edition Page: https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/

Free Arcade and More: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/124...more-1-21-2014 (watch the video on this page for sure)

Art Tools: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/124...ools-1-21-2014

Blizzard Arcade Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RWKDxiIUyp4

GL HF!!~~

TL;DR: Starcraft 2 is free to play except for campaign and ranked matches, click the links above to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by little_one View Post
    Rainhart I hope you play when its open beta so I can gank your pokemon naruto anime noob avatar banner having @$$ left and right

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

It's not free to play for christs sake. Stop baiting people. Custom maps are free. Ranked matches, campaign or anything else non-custom map related is still paid.

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 39

I apologize if I was unclear.

Yes you are right, there are 2 restrictions: the campaign and ranked matches can not be accessed for free. That is a really tiny fraction of the multiplayer capabilities of this game. Ranked matches can be played if you are in a party with someone who bought the game though. So really, the only thing that is not free is the campaign.

Perhaps we can think of it this way. The campaign and Starcraft 2 as a whole is not free to play, but Starcraft 2 Multiplayer is now free to play (without ranked 1v1 matches).
    Last edited by Raineheart; 01-22-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by little_one View Post
    Rainhart I hope you play when its open beta so I can gank your pokemon naruto anime noob avatar banner having @$$ left and right

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Just buy the game. This is like the only sport I like to spectate (and ssbm). I could never play it competitively though >.>
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 35

Hasnt starter edition been out for more then a year? How is this new. That being said, the game is pretty solid. If you're into RTS, eventho there isnt much strategy in sc2. Its mostly who is the fastest twitch player wins. Old protoss master here. Only needed 100-120apm to get there, thank god. But I've already lost all interest in it. Since the skill ceiling is based on your apm. Thats why you see Korean 14 year old champions. Its just a reactive twitch game with little thinking.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix23 View Post
    Its just a reactive twitch game with little thinking.
    muscle memory ftw

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix23 View Post
    Hasnt starter edition been out for more then a year? How is this new.
    Previous Starter Edition: You can only play Terran an are limited to a bunch of specified maps.
    New Starter Edition: You can play any race and any map except for campaign maps.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 93

Quote Originally Posted by marcipaans View Post
    It's not free to play for christs sake. Stop baiting people. Custom maps are free. Ranked matches, campaign or anything else non-custom map related is still paid.
    Pfft go play starbow if anything.