Hostile communities?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    McFox Sandwich Reputation: 120

I noticed this community is a lot nicer than others I've been apart of. I've even posted controversial posts/threads and still wasn't completely ostracized. The worst I experienced was Phenoca's insults, which influenced my departure from the forum for a week. For some reason, he thinks he's allowed to degrade me because we know each other.

I left previous forums because of the hostile environment. I don't agree with this "it's the internet" mentality a plethora of people use to enable online bullying. The internet consists of people who should have a sense of morality and polite social mannerisms that were ingrained into us by schools, guardians, and law.

Moreover, I think a large portion of online bullies are children who are oblivious to their own vile behavior. I was one of these people. It wasn't until my late teens and first-hand social experience that I was able to recognize my previous behavior and become capable of changing it. To this day I can't fully understand why I mistreated others, but it probably relates to how I was raised and what I was taught.

This internet generation is much different than previous generations; children need to be educated about the internet and how their behavior can affect others. Parents aren't enough and often times they don't know about the internet themselves. Therefore, I'd strongly support a mandatory educational class solely dedicated to teaching students about the internet. How it works, potential predators, how to stay safe, positive outlets, what to do if he/she feels suicidal/depressed because of imagery/comments, how his/her behavior can affect others and lead to severe repercussions mentally, physically, and legally, etc. It would also be beneficial if it taught the basic definitions of DDoSing, hacking, etc. and how to protect and prevent such occurrences.

Most, if not all, people will use the internet at some point in their lives. Better to start educating early to help prevent unnecessary victims.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 375

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    This internet generation is much different than previous generations; children need to be educated about the internet and how their behavior can affect others.
    I like how Louis CK explains it here, it's true:

http://youtu.be/5HbYScltf1c?t=30s

Quote Originally Posted by Avarance View Post
    I like how Louis CK explains it here, it's true:

http://youtu.be/5HbYScltf1c?t=30s
    That is a great video.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    I've never turned away from any community of nasty people or death threats. Actually, I just turn super-troll and stay longer because it pisses them off.
    I assume that's how they all look at it, just like you? *shrugs*

Disclaimer:
    Its difficult to say where I stand, but I think there is a line between destructive behavior and using swear words or insulting people. If you "outlaw" the right to have a fight about something, you take out a part that doesn't have to lead to destruction. When the goal is "destroying" something, it becomes a problem. Not when you cross that line from time to time, but when you cross over to the other side.
    There are lots of communities filled to the brink with people, who are doing nothing, but harassing each other. I have been on the other side of that line too. You think you have some power, but its being stupid and sad.
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-23-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Stay frosty.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

I only play single player games for the most part. I generally can't stand people...in real life, or online. It is too difficult to be new to something. Nobody wants to show you and help you learn, they just wanna flip out on you when you don't have the reflexes of a ****ing cyborg and aren't able to carry out the actions you're new to as well as someone who has done it 5000 times.

**** MMO's.

Dunny 2014 Updated 10/19

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

i know this might piss off some people, but whatever, fvck em, imo this is an intelligent article discussing a fact of how the internet is

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/twitt...gynistic-abuse
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    i know this might piss off some people, but whatever, fvck em, imo this is an intelligent article discussing a fact of how the internet is

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/twitt...gynistic-abuse
    Nah, it's accurate.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

@postrook

At the idea of man doing this as it is said numerous times in that article:
    I doubt it and I am fairly certain it's boys, not man.

Similar story:
    Anti Gmo activists are some sort of lunatic cultists. So says the corporate interest and that is a fact. There is no study that proves that GMO harmed people, or animals for that matter. That doesn't say it couldn't. It's a bit like atomic energy was once thought to be safe and when people pointed at the same tech being used in bombs, they shrugged it off. Now it's GMO vs Biological weapon tech. It's not really that safe. When we look at Mad cow, all of it was started by introducing a seemingly harmless practice decades before anything happened. If you had asked anyone, if feeding sheep meat to cows would kill them and turn their brain to goo, people would have painted you the village idiot.

What I am trying to say: If you have a problem with people being victims to prejudice, don't go and form some group. Don't invent slogans. Don't make feminist, or anti-feminist blogs. Don't hold conventions about it. You are just ending up in a fight and no one wins.
    The truth doesn't need slogans... The article has a point and it's sad to see it poisoned by Hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-23-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Stay frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    @postrook
    What I am trying to say: If you have a problem with people being victims to prejudice, don't go and form some group. Don't invent slogans. Don't make feminist, or anti-feminist blogs. Don't hold conventions about it. You are just ending up in a fight and no one wins.
    The truth doesn't need slogans... The article has a point and it's sad to see it poisoned by Hypocrisy.
    You're preaching silence. Silence doesn't do anything but allow injustice to flourish. The only reason NA has as many civil rights as it does today is because people spoke up. Every single civil right was attained by people standing up for something and making a change by action and/or exposure.

Would I know about sex trafficking if people didn't make videos and blogs? No, I wouldn't. And still, many people don't know it exists. Exposure is key to reaching people to facilitate change, whether that be through a video, blog, or advertisement.

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    @Bacn:
    What you are saying could be read as blaming the victim.
    It could, because it totally is. One does not encounter drama while browsing pictures of Kim Jong Il looking around or while browsing posts about random objects satisfyingly fitting inside of other random objects.

Likewise, if you go and subscribe to blogs where some nut-job talks about how 'the patriarchy' tricks women into enjoying sex, you're gonna run into lots of drama and a surprisingly little amount of hilariously bad real estate photos. It's all about what blogs you follow.

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast