Hostile communities?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    The Undead Reputation: 392

It's the internets, full of empty threats, horny teenagers and people with delusions of grandeur.

Meat life laws are slowly creeping through and starting to apply on the internets, 'trolling' is getting people jail time, give it another decade or two and people will be thinking twice about what they say, just like outside the net.

Best thing to do is filter out the really bad ones, most games and forums have an 'ignore' feature. Just learn to use it, be happy you can just filter bad shit out of your online life, not so easy out in meatspace.
    Fvck kings, acquire chicken.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 185

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    I noticed this community is a lot nicer than others I've been apart of. I've even posted controversial posts/threads and still wasn't completely ostracized. The worst I experienced was Phenoca's insults, which influenced my departure from the forum for a week. For some reason, he thinks he's allowed to degrade me because we know each other.
    Sorry. I wish I hadn't raged at you. I hate it when other people rage at me but it's pretty standard in competitive teams and it's pretty standard on my Dad's side of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacn View Post
    Likewise, if you go and subscribe to blogs where some nut-job talks about how 'the patriarchy' tricks women into enjoying sex
    I think women who enjoy sex are more likely to pass-on their genes or have multiple children. So women are probably responsible for that aspect of natural selection. Imagine that. A species which has evolved to have the maximum possible pleasure from sexual intercourse.
    EDIT: Ooh that font looks bad in quotes.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 547

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    I think women who enjoy sex are more likely to pass-on their genes or have multiple children. So women are probably responsible for that aspect of natural selection. Imagine that. A species which has evolved to have the maximum possible pleasure from sexual intercourse.
    EDIT: Ooh that font looks bad in quotes.
    Reminds me of sperm wars. Turns out that the book was all social Darwinist wet dreams, but actually hogwash. You can write a book that even the co-writer of your own study thinks is a load of crap, have it scientifically torn to shreds and still have a huge cultural impact on the gullible masses. (Actually I had more than doubts about its scientific merit, but when I looked it up and found that there is basically no substance to it and how you can use the way it's presented to tell basically any kind of bull you want, I still felt quite dumb... That book should come with a big warning sign; tries to prejudice you with nothing but false claims, read with extreme caution.)
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-24-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Stay frosty.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

I love hostile communities because I love a good laugh. When I'm playing LoL and people start raging, even if they're raging and cussing at me, I've got a big grin on my face. And I miss how hateful /b/ used to be, it's so full of white knights and people offering post-breakup advice these days.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 185

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Anti Gmo activists are some sort of lunatic cultists. So says the corporate interest and that is a fact. There is no study that proves that GMO harmed people, or animals for that matter.
    I don't think one company should have a monopoly on GMO though, therefore I don't support it when I have the choice. GMO was responsible for the tortilla crisis, and probably several other economic crashes in foreign agriculture.

What I am trying to say: If you have a problem with people being victims to prejudice, don't go and form some group. Don't invent slogans. Don't make feminist, or anti-feminist blogs.
    Yeah. @TuxedoSam: Like the anti Duck Dynasty page... It's just promoting hate.

Obviously I haven't been subjected to the intense hatred and sexism that girls are subjected to on the internet, but I was beaten-up regularly in primary school and trashtalked to viciously by some of my best friends who became contemptuous when I pointed out flaws in their teamwork or religion. So I guess I have been subjected to the same levels of hatred (to the point of wanting to commit suicide, and doing nothing but stare at the floor without eating for three to four days). Believe me, there are hundreds of derogatory words for men that I hear from men. But I suppose (sarcasm) this is one of those ambiguities where it's ok for women to trashtalk women, like it's ok for black people to call black people n***ers? (I'll asterisk it since I'm not black.) Anyways - my point is - obviously I haven't been subjected to sexism in the form of mysogyny, but yes I do know it exists and I can relate because I have been subjected to INTENSE bullying throughout primary school (partially my fault, because I often laughed at classmates' stupidity without realizing that humans are on the whole, generally stupid). So of course there's bad people. But if you in retaliation categorize everyone as either:
    A) A lustful mysogynist
    A lustful white knight
    Then you'll end-up confusing yourself and others around you because a lot of people don't fit into those two categories.

Moreover, men and women have the same nervous systems, so we both have the potential to be equally stupid/cruel/discriminatory. And finally - when I play as a female character, I get WAY more respect in-game than as a male (in the form of people wanting to hang out with me and giving me freebies, though of course, my sample size is limited to the games I've played as a girl).

Labelling all hate-speech as sexism... @TuxedoSam: You literally bait guys into it on the LoL forums. Of course there's going to be that one person who is an arrogant d***, but ... If you're going to make generalizations about men, then they often also apply to women. I get it - a lot of men hate women for no reason, just like a lot of people hate Muslims/Arabs/Islam. But making anti-mysogyny slogans and anti<insert sexist person here> blogs is no different from guys making anti-feminist slogans and anti<insert popular streamer here> blogs. It's like watching Israelis fighting Palestinians - after a while you don't care who did the worst things because it becomes senseless and you can't generalize personal conflict to a global scale... I mean - can generalize anything, but when you start cherry picking specific events to promote your anti-anything agenda... If it's something that somebody did to you then that's fine, but if you're ranting about what someone did to somebody else whom neither of us know, and put it in the context of your anti-whatever campaign, then it's tiresome to read.

Yes. Men are all evil ****ing arrogant morons who say mean things and do mean things and want sex. I get it. Does that mean you should treat us like evil ****ing arrogant morons? Nooooooo!

I am personally at a loss why many modern feminist outlets do not name those animals by their name. It makes me wonder, if all they are about is an intellectual substance-less reshuffling of the facts into seller-articles and ideologies that are worse than the truth and harmful to the idea of an equal society.
    I guess it depends on your perspective. There are certainly a TON of terrible ways women are treated which needed strong feminist support. But... None where I live. I am thinking of legal female body-mutilation and mandatory marriage to rapists. But as for mysogyny..? Go read a book on the strikes in the early 1900s for better working conditions for women. That's what I consider feminism. But mysogyny on the internet? Just lead by example and use manners. It'll probably cause change than baiting and hating. And yes, there's the ambiguity because people have different perspectives. But "preaching silence"? No. I just stop talking to someone when I realize they're too stupid to understand my point. If I tell an Islam that not everyone has to be converted to Islam (an important goal in Islam) then am I preaching silence? If I tell a Jehovah's Witness that God doesn't exist, am I preaching silence? No... But they'll certainly think I'm preaching, and trying to censor their bible/magazines when I'm just saying... "I get it, but I'm not interested in reading this."

How did we get to this point, where none of the people who try to steer the debate encompass the idea of equality anymore?
    ^

If there is a specific issue, that's worth campaigning over, then go for the political change. But as soon as someone starts preaching that <X> group of people are evil, then I instantly lose interest.

it encourages what it calls the enemy so it might "better fight it". Thats retarded and gets us nowhere.
    Yeah. Some feminist rants just sound like troll-bait. Like - if policy somewhere allows an action against a woman that would be illegal where I live, then of course I'm against it! But hating on men is no different from hating on women. The vocabulary is just slightly different. Viewing everyone as a lustful mysogynist or a lustful white knight, well... I don't know. If you're going to hate people for wanting to have sex with you then you probably shouldn't start with the assumption that everyone wants to have sex with you because then you'll end-up hating everyone.

I don't mind listening to someone rage about one particular idiot. But generalizations about men often apply to women as well.

If you're a teenage girl, you'll likely get bullied a lot more by other girls than by guys (because female social life in schools is vicious). And yes I have been bullied by girls (yanking my hair while I'm reading, or breaking my possessions at school), but I'll tell you one thing: The reason they did it wasn't because I was a different gender.

And yeah of course death threats are way out of line! That's illegal, and if someone sends you death threats then by all means don't stay silent about it. But if you bait on a League of Legends forum and someone tells you to make a sandwich... You'll be trolled regardless of gender. Your wellbeing's not in danger. @TuxedoSam: I'm sure you've been trolled by plenty of females.
    Last edited by Phenoca; 01-24-2014 at 01:35 PM.

MERRYCHRISTMAS Reputation: 467
    Don't go to college. Give up on your dreams.

I am really finding it hard to believe in a culture of man relentlessly harassing women.

there's a reason rape and violence shelters rarely need to offer their services to men.

Reading: NOTHING
    To read: American Gods by Neil Gaiman, The Hungry Games, by J. K. Rowling, No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
    Last read: A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5), A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (3.5/5), Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake (2.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    there's a reason rape and violence shelters rarely need to offer their services to men.
    Because very few men are willing to go through the shame of admitting to being raped?

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

MERRYCHRISTMAS Reputation: 467
    Don't go to college. Give up on your dreams.

I volunteer at a violence and rape shelter. We get calls from men and help them via our hotline. Our services as a shelter, though, they seldom need.

Reading: NOTHING
    To read: American Gods by Neil Gaiman, The Hungry Games, by J. K. Rowling, No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
    Last read: A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5), A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (3.5/5), Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake (2.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 236

Quote Originally Posted by Bacn View Post
    Because very few men are willing to go through the shame of admitting to being raped?

men being raped ? you mean girl rapes a man ? well thats just brilliant...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 547

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    Good job. You did just what I was writing about. I suppose my posts are just to long? Well, we could all have fun posting gifs, maybe? Or oneliners? After all, who gives a shit about the topic...
    Maybe you just broke reading of after the first line? Maybe you did misunderstand my context, since I didn't build in a safeguard? I might be cynic to say this, but what can you expect from a person who jumps ship after the first line, just because it's possible to construe some meaning? He will jump again after the second and the third. It would haven been a wasted effort.
    Anyways, if I try to follow your path of the argument, since you found mine so lacking: The thing is what you call culture in this case. You can claim the problem is culture. Have fun trying to fix that culture. I am curious as to how that works.
    At least you had fun. I am left to wonder what you where even meaning to tell me and everyone else and if you even read that first sentence properly at all.
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Stay frosty.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast