Hostile communities?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

How did we get from sexist comments on the internet to harassment of rape victims? Prior to anyone discussing rape, I made the point that if your complaint is that lustful men want to have sex with you, then you accomplish nothing by assuming that 100% of men want to have sex with you. It elevates your perspective of the problem because whether they are married or gay, you are going to hate men for (supposedly) being sexually attracted to you.

Feminism is about political change. Of COURSE rape should be illegal everywhere. Of COURSE cutting-up womens' bodies with knives should be illegal everywhere. But I was discussing sexist comments on the internet. Rape and cutting-up people's bodies are ALREADY illegal, and criminals face SERIOUS punishment. I feel that by equating serious extreme crimes human rights violations with sexist comments on the internet, you are not acknowledging the source of the problem which is that young people are taught that females are inferior. I was NOT discussing rape. I was discussing sexism. And my primary focus was sexism on the internet, because it is something that I identify as an issue. My point was that assuming that everyone wants to have sex with you is NOT going to solve the angst against people treating women as inferior, or men being lustful towards women.

Calling every five-year old boy who discriminates against girls a "rapist condoner" is hypocritically sexist. Yes people should be taught good manners. Manners are important! And yes seeing females as inferior is at the root of the problem. But making men inferior by telling every guy with poor manners that he is a rapist is just spreading hate and hypocritically belittling the other gender.

Having a thick skin towards sexism on the internet is not synonymous with feminism, and in my previous posts, nobody had been discussing rape. If you want to have a discussion about foreign policy on gender equality then go ahead. But don't go up to everyone you meet and tell them they want to have sex with you and are therefore evil. I grew-up in a religion where lust was the pinnacle of all evil, and humans were supposedly controlled by evil supernatural demons who wanted people to have sex. I don't need any more of that superstitious demonization bullshit.

I read what all of you have said and agree with most of everyone's points even though they are disagreeing with each other, everyone is bringing-up important data. But I notice that whenever someone on the internet stands-up for equality between genders, they are IMMEDIATELY shunned by males AND females alike for being a horny "white-knight". How hypocritical to shun pro-feminists in the name of feminism. You think it's only females who get trashtalked? Interesting experiment: Go to the forum/VoIP/IRC you get trolled on for being a girl, hide your gender, and then see how many people STILL trashtalk you.

I.M.H.O. the solution to sexism on the internet is to use good manners. Of course guys will call me a ****ing white knight, but when the people I'm being polite towards also call me a lustful white knight who wants to get in their pants, then they are fantasizing their own world of gender-inequalities.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

The Undead Reputation: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    How did we get from sexist comments on the internet to harassment of rape victims?
    Sometimes these things just happen.

http://www.onrpg.com/boards/threads/...=1#post2984609

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by plat0nic View Post
    Men and women are not equal at all They should have equal rights, every human being deserves the same rights. The right to do whatever they please as long as it is not harming another individual or another individuals property. Genetically they are two very different creatures and need to be treated as such.
    They are not mathematically equal, but they are equally precious to society.

Stay frosty.

The Undead Reputation: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    They are not mathematically equal, but they are equally precious to society.
    That's beautiful, man.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567