Hostile communities?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 41

Default Hostile communities?

Well, I tried to rejoin Tumblr, only it seems that two freaking times now I find a post I like I later learn the person who created the post was bullied off of the site with death threats from people who disagreed.
    Wow.
    Maybe it's my depression and anxiety but I can't handle that kind of mess.

I like Onrpg, by the way.
    You guys don't threaten to kill me if you disagree, and if it gets out of line in hostility then the thread is locked and et cetera.
    It's controlled chaos I guess.

Do sites like Tumblr end up too hostile sounding simply because they have so many people?
    What about gaming communities?
    Maple Story isn't exactly known for friendliness.

Have you ever turned away from a community online and in games and the like, nothing bad even happening to you, but you just don't feel comfortable there?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    Well, I tried to rejoin Tumblr, only it seems that two freaking times now I find a post I like I later learn the person who created the post was bullied off of the site with death threats from people who disagreed.
    Wow.
    Maybe it's my depression and anxiety but I can't handle that kind of mess.

I like Onrpg, by the way.
    You guys don't threaten to kill me if you disagree, and if it gets out of line in hostility then the thread is locked and et cetera.
    It's controlled chaos I guess.

Do sites like Tumblr end up too hostile sounding simply because they have so many people?
    What about gaming communities?
    Maple Story isn't exactly known for friendliness.

Have you ever turned away from a community online and in games and the like, nothing bad even happening to you, but you just don't feel comfortable there?
    I would assume most, if not all communities would end up like that if not for the stricter rules you find on OnRPG compared to Tumblr. Not to mention that because Tumblr is so large, it's hard to moderate in the first place. You wanna feel suicidal? Try playing League of Legends. It won't matter if you're good or bad, win or lose, you'll still get crapped on by the community far more than anywhere else. When it comes down to it, we are all just a bunch of animals like any other. Some people will slaughter you any chance they get... Be it mental or physical...

Arri's Animal Reputation: 94

You basically choose what you what you want to see, It's easier to ignore/avoid the toxic members of any website than avoiding negative people in RL.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    I wish I could threaten people with murder and bully them on here, but the rules... :C

Actually I did never get into Lol, because it made my friends who played start to cuss each other out like mad and start insane swearing. The atmosphere was completely vile... "I was like, seems like an ok game, but this is not how I want to spend my leisure time, tnx."
    So I dogged that time-sink, lol.

@jaydude:
    It's easier, to avoid, but also easier to bring on.
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-23-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Stay frosty.

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 134

Tumblr, I guess it kinda depends on who you follow and what tags you track. My Tumblr experience was great in the beginning, and then I started seeing this sorta stuff everywhere: http://www.reddit.com/r/tumblrinaction
    No hostility. I just find the vocal majority to be kinda stupid, which is why I don't really go on Tumblr anymore (unless I'm trying to look for specific gifs of things that I won't mention). I'd rather read 10298301394 duby threads.

OnRPG's aight.

MapleStory is da best <33

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

I'm a Bacn who loves da' booty, so on Tumblr I mostly just see da' booty.

If all you're seeing is drama and death threats on Tumblr, that might say more about you than the site as a whole.

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

call me chicken strips Reputation: 500

the only threatening allowed to go on around here is me threatening to ban all of you

for
    the
    slightest
    mistake

anyway, to answer yr question, communities get that way because of shitty moderation and quality control. cf reddit and why it's an awful site.

Reading: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (50%)
    Last read: A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5), A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (3.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

there's some fun stuff on there, but yeah, it's like any big site, you need to pick and choose, and while a lot of people are nice, there will be some really vocal hyperactive assholes out to ruin it for everyone.

oh, and i don't play multiplayer games with pubbies because i've never had a positive experience playing that way. so why bother.
    Last edited by postrook; 01-23-2014 at 02:26 AM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

@Bacn:
    What you are saying could be read as blaming the victim.

Stay frosty.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast