MMO's Centered on exploration and discovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Default MMO's Centered on exploration and discovery.

So, I recently watched all six parts of Klondike, the new mini-series set during the Klondike gold rush (and it stars the guy that played Robb Stark in Game of Thrones) and it got me thinking.

I really want a good MMO that focuses on that sort of setting. Something kind of like Red Dead Redemption mixed with Klondike. It would focus on exploration, discovery, resource gathering, and crafting. Seasons and weather would play a huge part, sickness would be a thing. Water and food would be required to survive. There would be a neat and interesting mining system, wood cutting system, and crafting system. It would probably need to be voxel-based to get what I want.

Basically, the goal of the game would be to go to a "Frontier" to make your fortune. I'm thinking that there would be two or three major "hub towns" that you would start in/do the tutorial, and go to for major trade. These would be "NPC" towns, but would allow for players to rent warehouses, factories, lodging, etc... Maybe have an elected government of players.

Then there would be a number of different frontiers. Places like the Klondike, Alaska, a bunch of the Western states, etc... In the Frontiers, it would be open-PVP. There would be a building system that would allow for a decent amount of customization. The Frontiers would also be the only places you can get resources - gold, silver, coal, oil, timber, etc... Also within the Frontiers you can do some crafting, but for major stuff (mass production, detailed decorative clothing, weapons, etc...) you would have to take the resources to one of the hub towns, get the proper tools, and rent the proper establishment to craft in.

The end goal would to be a sort of "lawless land" type feel, where people go out to make their fortunes in one of a variety of ways. Hopefully boom towns would show up, gold/silver/oil "rushes" would happen when someone discovers it, banditry would be a thing. People would be allowed to elect "lawmen" that would be immune from the games murder count system (of course they can have it taken away as well). The governments of the Hub Towns would be able to enlist players to act as soldiers and send them out to areas that are having trouble keeping peace. That sort of stuff.

My idea for the murder system would be as follows: The game would have perma-death. This wouldn't be too big of an issue as there would be no skills in the game. So if you make a new character, all you have to worry about is re-gearing/re-making your fortune. If you kill someone, and no one is around to know it, you're basically get off scot-free. If you kill someone, but someone else sees it, you would have to kill that person as well to get away with it. If that person had managed to get into line-of-site of someone else before you killed them, the other person would also be a "witness", and so on. If that continues until a lawmen becomes part of the chain, then you will become "wanted" and thus when you yourself are killed (either in combat or hanging), your IP is locked out of the game for 24 hours.

Now, some would say that allowing for free-for-all PVP in a perma death game will just result in griefing. However, I feel that it is the only way to give the kind of feeling I want. Also, getting weapons would (usually) require money. Of course you could try using a rock or something, but if the person you're attacking has a gun you'll probably end up dead. And guns aren't cheap. The goal of this system would be to provide that "You can't trust anyone" feel that you would get in a lawless land. You could be shot in the back at any time, and chances are you wont get justice.

So it would be a game centered on exploration (of the various frontiers, looking for resources) and discovery (finding said resources). Crafting, production, trade, diplomacy, survival, etc... would also play a part.

Anyways, just a quick idea I had for an MMO.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

I think you just summed up Rust.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Romgor View Post
    I think you just summed up Rust.
    Not quite. Rust is on a smaller scale than what I am thinking. But, yeah, I love Rust, especially on the Whitelisted RP servers, because it offers an experience similar to what I want.

Mostly what I want is the 1800's setting. There was a mod for M&B a bit back that I used to run a server for. It was a Wild West type mod and offered an experience very similar to Rust. Resource gathering, crafting, pretty free-form building, etc.. I think the dev gave up on it because it didn't get the interest he wanted :/ But there was a lot of neat stuff, and at one point we even had a "boom town" set up with a butcher, tavern, etc... with a few smaller towns run by other groups.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

The mod community is slowly releasing stuff for Rust, some big server-side plugins and stuff. Maybe someone will release a Wild West style mod, it'd be cool indeed.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

So how are you enjoying EVE, Face of Mankind, Mortal, Wizardry, ArcheAge? (And yes, the latter is released in Russia.)

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    So it would be a game centered on exploration (of the various frontiers, looking for resources) and discovery (finding said resources).
    If you want the risk of permadeath with a vibrant player-driven economy with fluctuating prices on everything, then just become a gold-seller. They face the highest risks, from bans and scams alike.

Also: R.I.P. Tribonia :'(
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    So how are you enjoying EVE, Face of Mankind, Mortal, Wizardry, ArcheAge? (And yes, the latter is released in Russia.)
    EVE was great, but the people I was playing with weren't able to be active enough to make the game enjoyable enough for me. I really enjoyed my ship production, though. It was a fun four months. Taught me a lot of handy stuff (mostly how I should think about things) that can be used in the real world. Always neat when you can take more than entertainment away from a game.

Face of Mankind, when I was originally very much into it was blast. But some ass holes taking over my faction resulted in me quitting. Each time I've tried to play since hasn't been quite as fun and I can't stick with it :/

Mortal - I'm not touching that again until they release the new TC update. And even then, I don't know if I can stick with the game. I spent 2 years of my life with that game and I can't put up with the bugs, small dev team, exploits/cheaters/ass holes any more

Wizardy, I never really played that. Don't think it's the kind of game I'm looking for either. Plus it's being shut down.

ArcheAge,. I'll be waiting til Trions Closed/Open beta before I play it. I've played the Korean version and had fun, though.
    -Cingal

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

That's the problem with MMOs is players.

Wizardry is being shut down? What?

I totally miss the excitement of world vs world PvP right after a game gets released. With thousands of players in every alliance.

So... The gold rush... The wild west... Something like... This?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua_gwBUoMjs&t=20m42s
    OH I FOUND IT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-dKNsol5mY&t=2m11s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_V39acnq8

There ya go. You're welcome
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 10

check out Uncharted Waters Online...its actually really deep...

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

Sounds like what I hoped Xsyon would be. I got it when it was first "released" and it was in an unplayable state back then. Never checked back on it.

Looking on their website now, it's still in development and trying to get onto steam.

In a couple of years time, we will see the fallout from this massive boom in "buy now - we will develop the game later" "payment model".

What you're looking for ApocaRUFF will only ever be found in niche private servers or very niche games. Otherwise ass hats will ruin it for everyone else. The only "live" game I've seen that comes close to this is Wurm Online. It's about as popular as you can get before the ass hats ruin things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapiidz View Post
    Sounds like what I hoped Xsyon would be. I got it when it was first "released" and it was in an unplayable state back then. Never checked back on it.

Looking on their website now, it's still in development and trying to get onto steam.

In a couple of years time, we will see the fallout from this massive boom in "buy now - we will develop the game later" "payment model".

What you're looking for ApocaRUFF will only ever be found in niche private servers or very niche games. Otherwise ass hats will ruin it for everyone else. The only "live" game I've seen that comes close to this is Wurm Online. It's about as popular as you can get before the ass hats ruin things.
    I've played Wurm for years, off and on. It's a fantastic game when I need my medieval fix. Trade isn't really important in the game, unfortunately. Mostly because anyone and everyone can be completely self-sufficient. You can find good ore anywhere, you can grow crops anywhere, you can fish good fish anywhere. Rare metals don't have much of a purpose and again, they can be found anywhere.

If ores were a bit more rare, crops could only grow in certain places (with good soil), during certain times of the year, if hunting/fishing were better in areas far from settlements, etc... it would be better. Perhaps it'll end up going down that route now that the population is going up pretty steadily.
    -Cingal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast