What do you call?(Looking for word)

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 43

Default What do you call?(Looking for word)

So I'm looking for a word that describes someone who does wrong things then blames his wrongs on other people, and acts as if they were the most righteous out there. Is not close to unethical. :/ I know it's a weird question, but I can't find a word with the closest description. So I thought of asking on my favorite forum.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Sanctimonious.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    Smash Bros 3DS NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366)

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by moizeus View Post
    So I'm looking for a word that describes someone who does wrong things then blames his wrongs on other people, and acts as if they were the most righteous out there. Is not close to unethical. :/ I know it's a weird question, but I can't find a word with the closest description. So I thought of asking on my favorite forum.
    You can say the person is "in denial". He is also spinning.

You can look up a number of fitting terms. I don't know a specific word that implies everything strictly the way you describe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_manipulation

@Kashis:
    Sanctimonious is pretty close, hmm
    Last edited by Ronin; 01-26-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Stay frosty.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

"ass clown".

Dunny 2014 Updated 10/19

The Undead Reputation: 448

hypocritical?

hypocritical
    adjective
    behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 384

Treytrey12

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

Sanctimonious is the best choice here.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by moizeus View Post
    So I'm looking for a word that describes someone who does wrong things then blames his wrongs on other people,
    Dunning-Kruger?

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude.[1] Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".[2]
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
    The Dunning-Kruger effect, named after David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University, occurs when incompetent people not only perform a task poorly or incompetently, but lack the competence to realize their own incompetence at a task and thus consider themselves much more competent than everyone else. Put more crudely, they're too stupid to realize they're stupid. (The inverse also applies: competent people tend to underestimate their ability compared to others.)
    Read all of it. It describes one my primary contentions with the human race (and myself) wondrously.

Now of course, blaming other people for your own mistakes also requires multiplying your illusory superiority by cognitive dissonance to exclude any possibility of your mistakes being accredited to you, so it is logical to blame another person. I do this all the time - heck - I even blame random strangers when my friends make obvious mistakes. It's a defense-mechanism for staying sane and emotionally stable in the face of human stupidity.

Now of course - there is a trust component as well! When someone in the top 0.5 percentile of any competitive videogame overextends in a fight, I teleport-in and sacrifice myself to secure him the kill. Whereas, if anyone outside the top 1 percentile does this, and I try to synergize with him, we both die. Teamwork and idiocy is a fatal combination, but teamwork and common sense is a good one. Yet when you play with good players all of the time you start relying on your teammates to make good decisions instead of shitty ones and it's maddening to play with dumb****s (i.e. the 99%).

Now... Imagine if you had people with the Dunning-Kruger Effect, Cognitive Dissonance, and... Faith in a God that is not real? Well then you have something I (contemptuously) call "Human".
    Last edited by Phenoca; 01-27-2014 at 12:57 AM.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Baby Bowsers Soiled Diaper Reputation: 82

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Dunning-Kruger?

Read all of it. It describes one my primary contentions with the human race (and myself) wondrously.

Now of course, blaming other people for your own mistakes also requires multiplying your illusory superiority by cognitive dissonance to exclude any possibility of your mistakes being accredited to you, so it is logical to blame another person. I do this all the time - heck - I even blame random strangers when my friends make obvious mistakes. It's a defense-mechanism for staying sane and emotionally stable in the face of human stupidity.

Now of course - there is a trust component as well! When someone in the top 0.5 percentile of any competitive videogame overextends in a fight, I teleport-in and sacrifice myself to secure him the kill. Whereas, if anyone outside the top 1 percentile does this, and I try to synergize with him, we both die. Teamwork and idiocy is a fatal combination, but teamwork and common sense is a good one. Yet when you play with good players all of the time you start relying on your teammates to make good decisions instead of shitty ones and it's maddening to play with dumb****s (i.e. the 99%).

Now... Imagine if you had people with the Dunning-Kruger Effect, Cognitive Dissonance, and... Faith in a God that is not real? Well then you have something I (contemptuously) call "Human".
    This is something I am glad to now know. As far as I can tell I don't suffer from this as much as my family does. It is extremely irritating to have to endure this stuff on a regular basis.