Ferret Died

Game Journalist Reputation: 394

Default Ferret Died

Well, today I took my five year old ferret to the vet as I thought he was coming down with Adrenal Disease due to a bit of balding, as well as very small appetite and not getting enough water. The vet didn't think it was adrenal disease, but suggested we kept up with the melatonin we had started giving him to treat/prevent it. I was a bit optimistic, as Onyx (my ferrets name), was a lot more active today than he had been for the past week.

Well, about an hour ago I was proven completely wrong and Onyx died. I noticed something was extremely wrong when I went to get him ready to take his daily dose of meds (which is usually around 50). We managed to get his pills into him, as well as some water, but noticed that he was making some odd noises and was having a bit of trouble breathing smoothly.

From there, I wrapped him up in a blanket and sat him on the table. He was blowing a lot of water/liquid through his nose (I assume as a side effect of the seizures he was having). After about 40 minutes, at 5:50pm, he had one last major seizure and then died.

I've had Onyx a tiny bit under 5 years, and he had just turned 5 years old on the 4th of this month. I got him when I was a Junior in High School while living in O'Fallon, Missouri. Honestly, buying Onyx was probably the greatest decision of my life, which can tell you a bit about how sucky it is. My only regret is not having bought him a friend to grow up with, but he was the last ferret in the store and had a thing for biting people (he made me bleed within two minutes of our first meeting).

Last year, he was diagnosed with insulnomia and we'd been treating that since then. He was an old guy, in ferret terms, so I'm not really surprised about his death and I'm actually surprised how long he lived since he was living with me. I'm a bit annoyed at myself that instead of contemplating the possibility that he may be getting ready to pass, I thought he was just beginning to suffer from another disease. If I had read more, I would have easily known that he was about to die and probably would have asked the doc to put him to sleep rather than let him die the way he did. I did do everything I could to comfort him, and held him for the last moments of his life.

I do plan to buy ferrets again, hopefully in 3-4 months. This time around, I'll be buying two. Hopefully at least one Albino like Onyx, which I will name after him. I learned a massive amount of ferrets from Onyx, some times just from research, other times the hard way. I should do a ton better this time around.

Rest in peace little buddy. Onyx, aka Weasel-bottom rat-face.

Putting this here mostly so there'll be a record of him that I can come back to later.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

This is sad. This makes me sad. :C

I don't think Hallmark makes an "I'm sorry your ferret died" card, but if they did I would go buy one and send it to you. :C

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

#manlytears
    :'(
    RIP Onyx
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

General Manager Reputation: 353

So that's why you've been so quiet this week. Very sad. What a cute rat-face.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Senior Editor Reputation: 10

So sorry you lost such a good animal friend. It's hard as hell.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

I know what it feels like to lose something you love in this case a animal may Oynx rest in peace.

I lost one of my dogs two years ago. May Sheba rest in peace. Your sister Mindnight thinks of you all the time.
    You hate me? No worries death to all my enemies forgiveness is over. If you hate me so bad come to my house and we can settle it like men. Am i claiming to be a fighter? Nope but im sick of your shit. You bring your boys ill bring mine i can guarantee some one gonna leave in a body bag. Ill shove this pitch fork up ya ass and have you begging for mercy and none will come. As i roast you over the fire laughing at your burning flesh. Im sick of your shit and your threats lets settle this like men

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

Sorry for the loss of your ferret. I lost a dog once.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Sorry for your loss man ;(

DrHime |MsNakita
    SD Gundam - League of Legends (PH) - Grand Chase

call me chicken strips Reputation: 500

Sorry to hear about the loss of your familiar.

Reading: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (50%)
    Last read: A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5), A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (3.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Game Journalist Reputation: 64

I'm sorry for your loss. This thread is the definition of "The Feels".
    Currently Playing: Dawngate, LoL, FFXIV, Random Steam Games

What the hell is a Pwarp?