Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawngate: Discussion

Game Journalist Reputation: 64

Default Dawngate: Discussion

www.waystonegames.com

Is anyone playing this? I've been back on it for the past two days and having a blast. There's a key going around that can get you in-game right away. I don't want to post it here but if you would like, I can PM it to you.

From the Website:

Dawngate is a new MOBA, built from the ground up to look and feel familiar while offering a whole new way to experience MOBA gameplay. Dawngate empowers you to forge the champions you love for the roles you want in a competitive arena, shaped by ever-evolving, community-driven content and story.

Empowered Gameplay: A well-balanced, flexible meta
    Depth to Discover: Master a new MOBA
    Evolving World: Community-driven story and content
    Add me in-game @ MapAwareness I'm always up for some matches.
    Currently Playing: Paladins, Fallout 4 Random Steam Games

What the hell is a Pwarp?

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 26

Been waiting for a thread to pop up

Ive been playing since wednesday now and Im liking it alot. TT was my favorite LoL map and this really feels like a beefed up version.

My IGN is MilkNPC if anyone wants to play. Been playing Amarynth almost exclusively since I unlocked her c:

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257

Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    Been playing Amarynth almost exclusively since I unlocked her c:
    She was the first champ I played (because chest) and I stuck with her because... Well burst damage is OP against casual players.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 46

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    She was the first champ I played (because chest) and I stuck with her because... Well burst damage is OP against casual players.
    And then I learned about Faith. Man that thing is bursty-mage hate. That and Hope (wish I was better at using Hope though...)
    Messing around.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162

Oh I remember reading about this awhile back, didn't know it was in beta. Would love a key or know where to get one now that I know it is in beta. Thanks Pwarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Oh I remember reading about this awhile back, didn't know it was in beta. Would love a key or know where to get one now that I know it is in beta. Thanks Pwarp.
    PM sent with key. Let me know your IGN once you get on. You're welcome of course. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jerov View Post
    And then I learned about Faith. Man that thing is bursty-mage hate. That and Hope (wish I was better at using Hope though...)
    For a second I thought you were naming Shapers. I was like...faith..hope? o.0

Quote Originally Posted by Pwarp View Post
    For a second I thought you were naming Shapers. I was like...faith..hope? o.0
    I did the same thing. Still getting used to items and spells.

Really wish item names were more than just bland, single words and the icons didnt look so samey. Its making memorization a bit of a chore.

So Faith is an MR+Health+MS item (55 MR/300 Health/+5% MS) that also grants a 25 HP chunk of anti-magic shielding every 4s that stacks up to 375 HP (so 1 minute for full shielding). very nice against bursty mages.

Hope is an MR+Armor item (60 Armor/40 MR) that also grants you 30% damage reduction for 3s after using an ability. The proc is on a 8s cooldown.

Learn more here! http://www.moba-champion.com/items/
    Messing around.

Game Journalist Reputation: 95

Doesn't seem like a lot of effort was put into naming items, lol. Game looks pretty cool though.

Hmmm so far not liking having no bot games, making it hard to learn to the items and map(as I do best with this in game) and I feel lame for being so bleh on the team.
    Liking Zeri the painter a lot so far, also I'm Dragoonza91 in game.
    Lame I know, i thought it was just my login name haha.
    Last edited by Acreon; 01-28-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

You know what makes this game stand out above the other MOBAs?

Holy god that loading time is delicious. Unlike league I don't ever hear myself saying "wtf he is only 33%?"
    Pride is a wonderful trait.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

I already like this game more than LoL and DotA 2. The only major thing it's lacking right now is amount of content. Let's hope it can survive the test of time and eventually have 100+ characters and 50+ items to choose from like those games.

Quote Originally Posted by goawaybeavis View Post
    I already like this game more than LoL and DotA 2. The only major thing it's lacking right now is amount of content. Let's hope it can survive the test of time and eventually have 100+ characters and 50+ items to choose from like those games.
    Having a ton of characters is one of the reasons why those two have balance issues, that and Riot(talking league specifically now) really needs to decide what they want the game's balance goal to be.
    Example: Riven has always been a problem character, tough to balance because she has no resource and has very low cd's, good damage, and fair bulk. Despite this, they go and make another champ with virtually all the same traits(no resource, low cd, fair bulk, some cc) again with Yasuo.

They certainly "super broken" or anything, but none the less problematic champs. Then you have Kassidin who has always been a huge bother but never gets touched, Fiora who has been mediocre forever, etc.

basically balance>>>>>>champ pool IMHO. I'd much rather have 50 champs who are all unique and fair than 117+ champs that can be wishy washy in terms of uniqueness and often times nowhere near ideal balance.
    Oh and a client/server that doesn't blow.
    /ramble
    Last edited by Acreon; 01-29-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Hmmm so far not liking having no bot games, making it hard to learn to the items and map(as I do best with this in game) and I feel lame for being so bleh on the team.
    Liking Zeri the painter a lot so far, also I'm Dragoonza91 in game.
    Lame I know, i thought it was just my login name haha.
    http://www.origin.com/change-id

You can change your name here.

Having a ton of characters is one of the reasons why those two have balance issues, that and Riot(talking league specifically now) really needs to decide what they want the game's balance goal to be.
    Example: Riven has always been a problem character, tough to balance because she has no resource and has very low cd's, good damage, and fair bulk. Despite this, they go and make another champ with virtually all the same traits(no resource, low cd, fair bulk, some cc) again with Yasuo.

They certainly "super broken" or anything, but none the less problematic champs. Then you have Kassidin who has always been a huge bother but never gets touched, Fiora who has been mediocre forever, etc.

basically balance>>>>>>champ pool IMHO. I'd much rather have 50 champs who are all unique and fair than 117+ champs that can be wishy washy in terms of uniqueness and often times nowhere near ideal balance.
    Oh and a client/server that doesn't blow.
    /ramble

I agree. I think Waystone is a step ahead by already having (mostly) no mana champs. This will help a lot in the long run in my opinion.

To be fair, a small champ pool doesn't really seem to make balance any easier. Dawngate is young so it has an excuse for balance issues, but games like Smite and Awesomenauts still have some glaringly obvious balance issues that just never seem to get touched.

It doesnt help that most MOBA's balance almost 100% off of the "pro scene." Riven is not an issue in big tournament play and thats exactly why she doesnt get more than a slap on the wrist balance-wise. The majority of the players of these games are NOT playing at a pro level and the sooner these companies realize this, the sooner balance will become more consistent. Unfortunately, pugs dont help nourish the E-Sports scene that everyone is striving for these days so the vast majority of players don't get a voice.

Also. to keep the thread a bit more on track: I really like the hyper-spammy nature of Dawngate at current. The few shapers that do have a resource can pretty much ignore the fact that they have one and it takes a lot of the tedium out of the laning phase when you can afford to play aggressive as balls the whole time.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Pwarp any chance you still have some key for dawngate?

I would rly like to try that game out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zugarbabe View Post
    Pwarp any chance you still have some key for dawngate?

I would rly like to try that game out!
    PM Sent. Enjoy!

IMO, one of the nicest things about Dawngate's version of summoner spells, outside of being able to choose what you want as the match goes on, is that it appears that Blink, is NOT, king, at least for everyone that's not a carry. Always was tired of the "take Blink or go home" thing in LoL.

Another thing is that I like the role system for at least allowing players to define how they are generally going to play the match. Gladiator? I'm farming. Tactician? Harass (epic reason why I love supporting/tanking in Dawngate). Predator? Kill lanes and roaming. Hunter? Jungling.

Also the main source of bonus vim from said roles feels good as well. Good at LHing and controlling your lane? Gladiator will steam-roll you ahead. Good at landing skill-shots or just harassing in general? Feel the vim-flow for Tactician. Want to feel extra special for successful ganks & dives? Then Predator will power-level you super well. Can't say much for Hunter though lol.

Finally, I personally like the two-lane system for a couple of reasons. First, less *****ing and "X lane or feed" (although additional vim sources help as well...) The other, while one lane is obviously going to be a carry lane (ADC + support/tank), the other lane can be much more interesting. Is it another carry lane? A kill lane? A harass & push lane? Who knows. But the fact that pubbers, at least from what I've seen, are more inclined to do interesting lane combos is a big plus for me.

Edit:
    btw, jungle map for people that want to study it: http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/daw.../800px-Map.png
    Last edited by Jerov; 01-29-2014 at 02:39 AM.
    Messing around.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnoh View Post
    You know what makes this game stand out above the other MOBAs?

Holy god that loading time is delicious. Unlike league I don't ever hear myself saying "wtf he is only 33%?"
    I'm usually the guy at 33%
    h8 mobile broadband connection

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    To be fair, a small champ pool doesn't really seem to make balance any easier. Dawngate is young so it has an excuse for balance issues, but games like Smite and Awesomenauts still have some glaringly obvious balance issues that just never seem to get touched.

It doesnt help that most MOBA's balance almost 100% off of the "pro scene." Riven is not an issue in big tournament play and thats exactly why she doesnt get more than a slap on the wrist balance-wise. The majority of the players of these games are NOT playing at a pro level and the sooner these companies realize this, the sooner balance will become more consistent. Unfortunately, pugs dont help nourish the E-Sports scene that everyone is striving for these days so the vast majority of players don't get a voice.

Also. to keep the thread a bit more on track: I really like the hyper-spammy nature of Dawngate at current. The few shapers that do have a resource can pretty much ignore the fact that they have one and it takes a lot of the tedium out of the laning phase when you can afford to play aggressive as balls the whole time.
    Oh I'm not claiming that smaller pools=automatically more balanced, just by having fewer champs you obviously have less things ot consider when balancing.
    And yeah though the pros should be a big part of balance, some champs aren't played by pros just because of preference a lot. I mean look back on all the anivia play by...(shit what's his name...). Anivia to most at the time wouldn't be considered a top tier pick. So just goes to show that even if a champ is really strong, doesn't means pros will play it.

onto dawngate-agreed on spaminess part, it takes away the difficulty of mana management but makes positioning that much more important(because everyone is Riven and can be ready to fight in a matter of seconds haha)

Took a break for a bit to eat and read. If anyone want's to join me for a match shoot me an invite or friends request. I'll be ready in about 5 minutes. Dibs support ftw.

Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 14

i play this game alot when i can, im on mostly in the late night though. Desanex ign.
    When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament it's "Monster Kill",
    In Quake3 it's "Excellent", in Counter-Strike it's "Kicked by console"
    www.twitch.tv/desanex

Rock Man Reputation: 32

@Acreon

I dunno, for me it's the other way around - I'd rather have 100+ characters than near perfect balance. Balance is a difficult thing to achieve in a multiplayer game with such high variety of everything (characters, skills, items, etc.) so I'm used to situations where something is broken and something is crappy.

Moreover, balance differs depending on skill level of the players - in LoL, for example, Kassadin is considered OP among the most skilled players and indeed tryhards are very good at carrying games with him, while in my low-medium skill level I very rarely see Kassadins that do good, and I think he is not a very good character and I really have no idea how to play well on him, I get much better results from playing other assassins (Talon, Zed, Diana, etc.). Same thing with Ahri. On the other hand we have Fiora - she is considered trash at the top tier level of play, but on my trash tier level I find it very easy to carry games with her (1 vs 2 towerdive double kill np git gud scrubs).

And since Riot balances the game around what is played in championships/diamond-challenger level, the game will always remain unbalanced for me and other low skill level players.
    Last edited by goawaybeavis; 01-29-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

It's a good thing LoL is balanced based on top-tier players. Why should the game be balanced based on players who don't really know what they're doing / understand all the mechanics?

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin