Need MMORPG That's NOT WoW-like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Need MMORPG That's NOT WoW-like

Hey guys. Basically I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play. The only ones I've really played are Runescape and Maplestory. I really like Runescape though.
    I'm looking for the following in an MMORPG:

*NOT WoW-like
    (I swear 90% of every MMORPG ever released is the freakin' same I'm so mad. ):< ) Ex. Rift, GW2, Tera, WoW clones, etc.

*No Anime WoW equivalents
    Ex. Aura Kingdom, Eden Eternal, Fiesta, etc.

*Medium - High graphics and playerbase

*Free to play (preferably)

*Unique features

Unique features like player-based economy. Something like Archeage is doing with trade. Caravans, trade ships, house building, combo combat system, anything that is not cliche and found in every WoW like game will do for "unique."

Thank you in advance guys.

P.S. (Little rant)
    Why is every mmorpg released now exactly the same? All the UI are exactly the same. Enemy in top left hand corner, skills and hp on middle bottom. Ugh it just disgusts me. It's not just the UI but the pointless quests where it's literally kill x monsters with no story at all! But all that would be bearable if the games had something DIFFERENT about them. Ex. Traveling in caravans, trade ships, guild owned towns -- I don't know, something, anything!

Game Journalist Reputation: 64

You should give FFXIV a try. Although it's somewhat similar the story is good and there's tons of classes. Also, what do you think about moba's? I would recommend Dawngate and League. They are both great games to pick up and play without having to worry about keeping up with everyone else.

You can also read our reviews here at Onrpg and maybe you will find a game you like that we have talked about: http://www.onrpg.com/articles/
    Currently Playing: Dawngate, LoL, FFXIV, Random Steam Games

What the hell is a Pwarp?

I'll look into it, thanks. Oh, I forgot to mention, I love mobas haha. I love playing League but sometimes I just want to explore and level up, ya know? (: Thanks again.

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Entropia Universe
    best niche game you will find

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

If you want something like Runescape there is a game called Eldevin going around. It doesn't have much players but it's pretty good Runescape-like game.

Ragnarok Online is also quite different from WoW and still has a good playerbase.

If you want something really unique with an amazing story and quests so interesting that you actually read all the dialogues, you should go for The Secret World. It's not F2P, but you only need to buy it once and then you never have to pay again.

Oh and Dungeons & Dragons Online is also really interesting. It even has a narrator. It's really good if you play it with a fixed group of friends.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 12

I second Eldevin as a good alternative to Runescape, you can make a hybrid character by picking skills from 6 classes and while it's F2P there's no P2W items in the cash shop. You get an XP bonus if you subscribe, though. I dunno if that's really "P2W" so much as "thanks for supporting teh game".

You might also really like Path of Exile, which is a really good Diablo clone, if you just want to explore and level up and find l00ts.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

They are both great games to pick up and play without having to worry about keeping up with everyone else.
    I think I'll have to treat myself to a new erotic lingerie stores soon.

Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 32

Quote Originally Posted by x1lasthope1x View Post
    Hey guys. Basically I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play. The only ones I've really played are Runescape and Maplestory. I really like Runescape though.
    I'm looking for the following in an MMORPG:

*NOT WoW-like
    (I swear 90% of every MMORPG ever released is the freakin' same I'm so mad. ):< ) Ex. Rift, GW2, Tera, WoW clones, etc.

*No Anime WoW equivalents
    Ex. Aura Kingdom, Eden Eternal, Fiesta, etc.

*Medium - High graphics and playerbase

*Free to play (preferably)

*Unique features

Unique features like player-based economy. Something like Archeage is doing with trade. Caravans, trade ships, house building, combo combat system, anything that is not cliche and found in every WoW like game will do for "unique."

Thank you in advance guys.

P.S. (Little rant)
    Why is every mmorpg released now exactly the same? All the UI are exactly the same. Enemy in top left hand corner, skills and hp on middle bottom. Ugh it just disgusts me. It's not just the UI but the pointless quests where it's literally kill x monsters with no story at all! But all that would be bearable if the games had something DIFFERENT about them. Ex. Traveling in caravans, trade ships, guild owned towns -- I don't know, something, anything!
    Mortal Online. Quests are basically murdered,skill bar is nonexistant you can block with right mouse button(timing this you can parry and do powered up attacks),left button is to attack,economy is player run npc items are crap compared to crafted ones,open world pvp with full loot(not for care bears),only time you'll need a "skill bar" is when you make a mage which is complicated to do,leveling is like runescape in that you level skills(crafting,parry,block,sprinting,etc.) rather than the usual level and exp bar. It's f2p till 60 skill level then you need to subscribe. They recently got an animations and graphics update so you might like it a bit more now than before.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

yup for OP i would suggest :-

Uncharted Waters Online -- yea u r a ship captain in the medieval ages, sailing the high seas and doing anything u like (merchamt, pirate, military etc)

Mortal Online (per above)

Darkfall 1 or 2-- high death penalty very unlike WoW

Dark Souls

Wurm Online - start from scratch build everything (minecraft also)

Wakfu or Dofus - turn-based - these are REALLY different from WoW and you can savour each moment in combat

Mabinogi Online or Lotro - ignore the bits similar to WoW - u can compose and play your own music ingame in your own band (or import from outside music too)

Smite - possibly one of the best mobas around

Chivalry or War or the Roses - best almost first person medieval realistic hack and slash combat moda style. Very unlike WoW.

Mount & Blade - like Chivalry but u can fight on horses. Try M&B Warband if you want it moba style.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 70

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    Mabinogi Online or Lotro - ignore the bits similar to WoW - u can compose and play your own music ingame in your own band (or import from outside music too)
    Mabinogi's target system isn't like WoW. Plus, the whole "Infinite Level Cap" dealie, and how you can learn every skill rather than just a certain skill tree. Housing System similar to White Knight Chronicles too. Items are like the grid-system in Diablo too, so not wow-like there either.

Dark Souls
    The developers of this game have not said if they plan to remove the GFWL Requirement yet.

Quote Originally Posted by x1lasthope1x View Post
    *NOT WoW-like
    Last edited by coldReactive; 01-30-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next, FFXV, KH3 · Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast