Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 12$ for game + DLC

Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 41

Default Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 12$ for game + DLC

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning was 38 Studios first; and last, roleplaying game. The game is fairly fantastic with a rich lore and the best combat system i've seen in an RPG in far to long. Sadly both the game and studio went under after about one year, leaving us with their single piece of work and a series of DLC updates including two long stories.

All things being fair, it is basically impossible to die in the game. For all intents and purpouses it is every bit a power-trip game with excellent controls and a fun graphical style, while offering an ARPG style loot system. I defenitly feel this game is worth picking up, particularly whilst both the game its self and all of its DLC are 70% off!

Steam link!: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14221/

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Went ahead and bought the game on your suggestion. Not sure when I'll get around to playing it, though. Looks quite interesting at least.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 70

The game later on has a game breaking bug if you choose a rather long side quest line (On the second continent.) If you get this bug, you'll know it. Because you'll have a follower you can't get rid of. If this happens, you'll have to wait for a fix (It's been in the game since day one though, so unlikely.) Or restart your character from an earlier save and not pick up that sidequest. (As soon as you get out of the first town of the second continent, I suggest saving immediately before going on. Then all future saves should be in another save slot. You'll know when you're on the second continent, since it's dark and dismal, and infected with strange crystals.)

I think the devs only really playtested the first continent, assuming players wouldn't get far in a short time. (There are some serious bugs there too, but not game breaking.)
    Last edited by coldReactive; 01-31-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: FFXIV:Heavensward, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior ∑ Saving For: An Epic Computer

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

I had a lot of fun with this game, but I only really did the main story and shelved it. I enjoyed it while I played, and I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth. It looked pretty nice too, I enjoyed the style of the game.

But I can't remember the plot for the life of me. It just wasn't all that memorable IMO. Definitely one to hold onto though, as I'm sure I'll enjoy replaying this years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    But I can't remember the plot for the life of me. It just wasn't all that memorable IMO. Definitely one to hold onto though, as I'm sure I'll enjoy replaying this years down the line.
    That's because it isn't supposed to be. You died before the game even started, then got resurrected via the soul well indirectly due to an "Accident" of sorts. You're living on borrowed time as well; at any time, the soulstream / fate threads could rip you apart, and that'd be the end. I didn't play through the entirety of the second continent because of the aforementioned bug.

The plot starts revealing itself like crazy once you get to the main city.

Waiting On: FFXIV:Heavensward, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior ∑ Saving For: An Epic Computer

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 25

Thanks for letting me know about this!
    Went ahead and made the purchase. And so far, I'm happy about spending money on this.

So, this game breaking bug...
    What must I not do in the game to prevent this bug? I will most likely skip whatever it is that leads to this bug.. thanks!
    When it comes to bugs like this.. I'm not a very smart person and I'll most likely end up getting that bug.

Quote Originally Posted by iAddison View Post
    Thanks for letting me know about this!
    Went ahead and made the purchase. And so far, I'm happy about spending money on this.

So, this game breaking bug...
    What must I not do in the game to prevent this bug? I will most likely skip whatever it is that leads to this bug.. thanks!
    When it comes to bugs like this.. I'm not a very smart person and I'll most likely end up getting that bug.
    It's a completely optional side quest. You'll know when you see it, when it asks you to go into a mansion and whatnot. (It's about two families.) It gives reputation in an NPC Faction never seen before too.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Just put a bit over 40min into the game, and I've got to say I'm impressed. I enjoy the combat, and the controls are very smooth. I also enjoy the level-up and skilling system, although I wish there was a bit more diversity. But perhaps it'll change over time, or there may be other ways to gain new abilities. I just got out of the Well of Souls tower, so I still have a lot of the game to experience.

Stopping for now, though. Will continue again tomorrow.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Super Moderator Reputation: 189

The problem I have with the game is it feels too much like an MMO and not really a single player RPG. I know the reason for this is because the original plan was to have Reckoning be an introduction to the world, then have an MMO come afterwards, but I play single player RPGs to play single player RPGS, not to pretend I'm playing an MMO all by myself.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    That's because it isn't supposed to be. You died before the game even started, then got resurrected via the soul well indirectly due to an "Accident" of sorts. You're living on borrowed time as well; at any time, the soulstream / fate threads could rip you apart, and that'd be the end. I didn't play through the entirety of the second continent because of the aforementioned bug.

The plot starts revealing itself like crazy once you get to the main city.
    Thaaaaaaat was it! I dunno, it just seemed really bland. But the fun gameplay more than made up for it.