Beyond: Two Souls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,686
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Beyond: Two Souls

    So, while I was out running some errands I decided to check out the RedBox and see if any interesting movies were available. Unfortunately, there were none. However, I did decide to check out the available games for PS3 and found that one of them was Beyond: Two Souls. I hadn't previously heard about this game and I would have passed it up if it weren't for the "ELLEN PAGE" slapped right above the title. Seeing as Ellen Page is pretty much the definition of perfection (in my opinion), I couldn't pass up the game so I went ahead and rented it.


    Story
    Well, my initial reactions to the game, and I think about half way through (if not further), is that the story is superb. I am playing in single player, but I believe in co-op one player plays the main character, while the other plays Aiden (tho I'm not sure). I imagine the game might be a tad more enjoyable with this, but I don't know and probably wont find out. It's a great story, very immersive and quite unique. The fact that (essentially) Ellen Page is the main character, is a massive bonus as well. The only game I can think of that comes close to the level of story in this game is Last of Us. Although, I personally feel Last of Us has the better story, but that's because I'm a post-apocalyptic junkie.

    One thing I absolutely loved is that, at least in the non-combat portions of the game, you are usually given a decent number of options to effect how the story plays out. I couldn't tell if there were multiple outcomes or anything, as I haven't even finished playing the game once yet, but it was nice having at least a minor effect in the story. For example, we went to a teen birthday party. I got to decide if I should drink some beer, should I be friendly with a guy that was hitting on me, should I show off Aiden to get people to like me, etc... I ended up setting things up for the main character to get her first kiss, and I know I could have done things differently and that could have never happened. Or at least I think I do, and that's what counts.


    Controls
    The controls are often quite annoying as well. For example, when you enter hand-to-hand combat (which is basically the only real combat), time slows down and you're expected to use your analog stick to "assist" in the combat by completing action. Due to the confusing nature of the controls, and the often weird-ass camera angles, if you're not extra careful you will often fail or screw up. Thankfully, this is a fully hand-held experience and that's not going to be a real issue and you'll get along just fine even if you completely fail at the combat. Believe me, I learned that from experience.

    Speaking of camera, it sucks horribly. Due to the near constant changing of camera angle, the fact that the camera angle often sucks, and the general suckyness of the camera, it makes a lot of things more difficult than they need to be. Something as simple as walking can become annoying just because of the camera. I honestly have no idea what they were thinking when they programmed the camera like this. Hell, I don't even know what they were thinking when they made the game consist of 99% quick-time events and 1% cut scenes/story.


    Gameplay
    Where the game falls short, and honestly this almost completely ruins the game for me, is the actual gameplay mechanics. After the initial few minutes in the game, you realize that should be called "A Quick-time Event Adventure" instead of the actual title. It's non-stop quick-times. They're needlessly thrown in there every single instant of the game. And, for me, this almost completely ruined the experience. The only thing that kept me playing was the story and Ellen Page. And honestly, if the story was just a tad less interesting, I would have gave up less than an hour into the game and gone ahead and returned it.

    Another negative is that I felt that Aiden didn't achieve his full potential. And keep in mind that I'm still not done with the game, so I may be proved wrong later on. However, you can basically do just a few things with Aiden. You can "push" objects, you can take control of a very select few enemies, you can choke others, and you can screw with electronics. Sometimes you can create a "shield" around the main character as well. Also, the taking control and choking can rarely be used in combat situations.

    In fact, it seems like combat situations are completely scripted from start to finish, which makes it extremely boring. You don't even get to aim when you shoot a gun (the few times you do get to shoot, that is). It's just another quick-time event where you hit R1, that's it. And, like I said, whenever you enter close-combat, it's just a slow-mo quick-time event that can be incredibly confusing and annoying at times. I am completely dissatisfied with the combat in the game, and I wonder why they even include it.


    Conclusion
    From my time playing the game, I got the feeling that Beyond: Two Souls was either A)Rushed through development, Completely Over-simplified in order to appeal to larger audiences, or C)Made by incredibly lazy or inept developers. The game resembles a highly detailed Japanese Visual Novel, more than a game. With the a great story, and a massive amount of potential due to the "Aiden" aspect of the game, I had expected it to be more fun. However, in less than an hour I wasn't have any fun due to the mechanics and the only reason I continued to play is that I wanted to see how the story played out. Overall, I am incredibly sad that Ellen Pages first role in a video game had to be in this game, because the potential just was not achieved. Hopefully the next game Ellen decided to take a major role in will be at least a bit better. I feel sorry both for the writers and Ellen, as their hardwork was ruined by this over-simplified "Quick-Time Adventure" that was, for some reason, called a game.



    Story: 5/5 - Superb story and I loved the input that we, as players, were allowed. I loved "growing up" with the main character, and Ellen was superb.

    Controls:
    2/5 - They worked, most of the time. However, they were often frustrating and the constant quick-time events were beyond annoying.

    Gameplay:
    1/5 - Partially due to the controls and quick time event, but also due to the incredible simplicity of the overall gameplay, it sucked. I'm not going to try and sugar coat it. I can't comprehend why anyone would think releasing a game with this sort of gameplay would be alright. Is the console community really alright by this kind of poor quality?

    Overall: 2/5 - So much potential wasted. The story was amazing, but the controls and gameplay were unbearable. I would not have played the game without the story and Ellen Page. I cannot recommend this game to anyone, but I would suggest you look up a Let's Play on youtube so you can at least experience the story.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  2. #2
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 288
    Candyholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    bel sverige
    Posts
    9,667
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    what.
    you clearly don't know the developer if you expected a real game, lol.

    anyway, this game is beyond(lol) amazing, the sheer amount of options you have that are not even apparent to you is mind boggling.
    every little thing you do(or fail to) changes an upcoming scene.

    and honestly, the controls were far from poor(ive seen worse in ps3 games). huge improvement over heavy rain.

    Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

  3. #3
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,686
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candyholic View Post
    what.
    you clearly don't know the developer if you expected a real game, lol.

    anyway, this game is beyond(lol) amazing, the sheer amount of options you have that are not even apparent to you is mind boggling.
    every little thing you do(or fail to) changes an upcoming scene.

    and honestly, the controls were far from poor(ive seen worse in ps3 games). huge improvement over heavy rain.

    Opinion
    -based review, written when I'm probably right at, or maybe a bit past, mid-way through the game. Hell, I could be way off and may only be just at the start of the game. I have put about 2-4 hours into the game so far though.

    I did mention that I believe that my choices do effect the outcomes of other scenes/chapters (not sure if you missed that or I didn't make it clear enough). I also mentioned that I do enjoy how many options the game offers you. The things I didn't like was the controls and the combat. Not sure how you could argue that the controls and combat weren't sub-par, unless you're just used to incredibly low standards (which is also something I mentioned in the review). Perhaps you could be specific about what options I'm missing, rather than just saying that I am?

    And just because the controls are better than some PS3 games, does not excuse the poor controls. However, I am a PC gamer and only recently got into consoles, so I may be inexperienced and I am used to a higher quality in PC games.

    Of course I don't know the developer, or I would have mentioned it. As I said, I picked up the game on a whim.


    I'm not going to sugar coat one part of the game, just because I liked another. While I loved the story and the choices offered to me in it, I hated the controls, and the general gameplay. I would have preferred a game that was closer to a Visual Novel, rather than what this is (I can best describe it as some sort of Visual Novel - RPG hybrid). It would be nice if it focused on non-combat, story, and story development via player choices, interaction with other characters, etc... The combat felt like it was thrown in as a second thought, which was annoying and dampened the gameplay experience.

    I honestly cannot suggest someone buys this game. Maybe rent it for a couple of days, as you can get it for $2 a night at Redbox. But it's not worth $60, $50, or even $20 in my opinion. If it were a movie, or even a novel (or visual novel) then I could see spending maybe $5-20 on it.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 01-31-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  4. #4
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 288
    Candyholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    bel sverige
    Posts
    9,667
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post

    Opinion
    -based review, written when I'm probably right at, or maybe a bit past, mid-way through the game. Hell, I could be way off and may only be just at the start of the game. I have put about 2-4 hours into the game so far though.

    I did mention that I believe that my choices do effect the outcomes of other scenes/chapters (not sure if you missed that or I didn't make it clear enough). I also mentioned that I do enjoy how many options the game offers you. The things I didn't like was the controls and the combat. Not sure how you could argue that the controls and combat weren't sub-par, unless you're just used to incredibly low standards (which is also something I mentioned in the review). Perhaps you could be specific about what options I'm missing, rather than just saying that I am?

    And just because the controls are better than some PS3 games, does not excuse the poor controls. However, I am a PC gamer and only recently got into consoles, so I may be inexperienced and I am used to a higher quality in PC games.

    Of course I don't know the developer, or I would have mentioned it. As I said, I picked up the game on a whim.


    I'm not going to sugar coat one part of the game, just because I liked another. While I loved the story and the choices offered to me in it, I hated the controls, and the general gameplay. I would have preferred a game that was closer to a Visual Novel, rather than what this is (I can best describe it as some sort of Visual Novel - RPG hybrid). It would be nice if it focused on non-combat, story, and story development via player choices, interaction with other characters, etc... The combat felt like it was thrown in as a second thought, which was annoying and dampened the gameplay experience.

    I honestly cannot suggest someone buys this game. Maybe rent it for a couple of days, as you can get it for $2 a night at Redbox. But it's not worth $60, $50, or even $20 in my opinion. If it were a movie, or even a novel (or visual novel) then I could see spending maybe $5-20 on it.
    lol higher quality

    anywho, it's not a game per se, it's an interactive movie. it's not 'played' for the gameplay, but for the story.
    even though i really don't see where the incredibly sub-par controls come from? i never had trouble with anything, but then again a controller might be too difficult for you

    and what i said wasn't aimed at you directly, more so in general about the game, lol.

    it's about 10 hours long, so beat it before you 'recommend' someone to not purchase it, because honestly it's worth full price.

    Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

  5. #5
    Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853
    Oisterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Overlook Hotel
    Posts
    25,215
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    I just started playing, got frustrated and took a break. The controls ARE pretty poor IMO. But I know the story is gonna make up for it, so I'm not all that concerned.

    Edit: The part that pissed me off and made me stop was when I was training for those police dudes, and I had to distract them and sneak over to the goal at the other side of the room. One dude kept catching me despite my attempt at distracting him and it made me angry enough to turn it off. I'll definitely finish it, and I plan on maybe platinuming it, but eh...not in the mood for its shit right now.

  6. #6
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    There are lots of games that are being released that are meant to be more on the line of "interactive story" than traditional game.
    Remember Asura's Wrath?

  7. #7
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    5,725
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Completely Over-simplified in order to appeal to larger audiences
    You do know that the average person is terrible at videogames? I thought the hype looked appealing, but I never play console (if I did I'd do a LoZ marathon - and Journey and KH and Ni No Kuni) so... I hope those also are for PS3. Man. If I had a PS3 I would probably just use it to check lolnexus. Good review though. I'll add it to the list of "games I want to watch cutscenes of".
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

  8. #8
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 288
    Candyholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    bel sverige
    Posts
    9,667
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    You do know that the average person is terrible at videogames? I thought the hype looked appealing, but I never play console (if I did I'd do a LoZ marathon - and Journey and KH and Ni No Kuni) so... I hope those also are for PS3. Man. If I had a PS3 I would probably just use it to check lolnexus. Good review though. I'll add it to the list of "games I want to watch cutscenes of".
    ps3 is so cheap now, and soo worth it.
    most of the exclusives are honestly 10/10
    plusyoucanflashitreallyeasynowadays

    Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

  9. #9
    Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853
    Oisterboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Overlook Hotel
    Posts
    25,215
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Just finished this yesterday. Loved it, but yeah, **** the controls. I wish Aiden wasn't locked to those anchor points...but whatevs.

    I'll replay it eventually...I'm gonna make someone play with me so I can get the gold for having 2 controllers. Heavy Rain was easy enough to do in a day, but this one is gonna take more than one session. Er...for two player anyway. I could probably do one myself but none of my friends are quite as willing as I am.

    I got an ending I really liked though.

  10. #10
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 288
    Candyholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    bel sverige
    Posts
    9,667
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Just finished this yesterday. Loved it, but yeah, **** the controls. I wish Aiden wasn't locked to those anchor points...but whatevs.

    I'll replay it eventually...I'm gonna make someone play with me so I can get the gold for having 2 controllers. Heavy Rain was easy enough to do in a day, but this one is gonna take more than one session. Er...for two player anyway. I could probably do one myself but none of my friends are quite as willing as I am.

    I got an ending I really liked though.
    you can watch every ending by restarting final chapter and just skipping the cutscene, but honestly the only real ending for me is the one where
    spoiler?? i guess


    she goes back to ryan, so canon <3
    even though he was kindof an ass to her, he still loves her and would've died for her (which he does if you want lol) and the part where they freeze to death in the tundra <3
    Last edited by Candyholic; 02-05-2014 at 07:12 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •