Solo players the majority in MMO's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 20

talking to people in mmos is so predictable

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by poeticas View Post
    i chose to go solo because of the stupidity that community brings in the game... but seriously why should i get a guild ... when guild doesn't bring me any benefit ? i got friend lists for that and i only need people to do a dungeon or a harder quest other than that i only join a guild if its one of my gaming community guilds.
    To add to this; not only does a guild not bring me benefits they also expect me to help them. If they're not offering me anything, and my main goal is to just be friendly/talk with the people of that guild, than I shouldn't be expected to contribute to their guild bank or go back 10 zones to help the newbie level 8 because he's stuck on a dungeon in the starter zone. I definitely consider myself a Massively Solo-Player. By this I mean that I enjoy the social parts of MMO's. I love talking to people. I'll party from time to time if it helps both of us meet our goal. I love playing with friends. I love in-game-economies, but I don't like guilds because it creates a power dynamic that is quite political in some games and I find that I work a lot faster on my on and people just aren't up for the level of intensity I bring to grinding. I will grind for hours and hours while others want to go back to town for AFK breaks.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 85

I often play solo, through my travels/trades I end up with a few really cool people to talk to etc, usually we're doing different things though and end up primarily talking/helping each other with items or something. Though, now that I'm older and smoke cigarettes, my play sessions are often staggered since I can't smoke inside so I'm a little more inclined to decline party invites.
    »Games & IGN«
    Wurm Online » Leviathan
    FFTA2
    »Last updated May 31 2010«

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    there are actually some games that punish you for partying.
    DAOC is one of them, EQ was aswell.
    lol, considering daoc is very much a pvp game I hardly think it punishes you for grouping. Also all of my level grind groups were pbaoe groups so not sure what daoc you were playin as for everquest, I think kite soloing as a nec or druid or something may have been "optimal" but would you consider that punishing? you had to group to get the fat lewts

Currently Playing: Eldevin

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Narog View Post
    talking to people in mmos is so predictable
    maybe because you're predictable \;d

Currently Playing: Eldevin

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 36

I think Narfi and chaoscauser have a general mold for this issue.

It depends on the game mechanics if it encourages team play. Many factors like ease of lvling, economy or even the communication options determine it. To find the time in our lives to join groups also attributes.

I will say this though. One thing which has irked me for the longest time is how more and more players abandon any team ethic while devs and publishers, probably publishers more, feed in on this and actually profit from it further.
    Homepage | DA page | My first Flash game >=( | Favorite Flash | Random YT Vid

+ Zappa has died. Lest us forget... +

The Devil's Advocate. Reputation: 354

I honestly don't see why you'd want to play solo in a mutiplayer focused game.

There are significantly better single player games out there, I see no reason to not play those instead.
    On nights like tonight when no one's around, I turn off the lights, and I float off the ground.

And I smile like I used to when you were around.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post

There are significantly better single player games out there, I see no reason to not play those instead.
    I like questing solo, because with a group most quests in MMOs are ridiculously easy and you just blow through whatever without really learning your character. I also like to do group instances, but the community now a days is not very friendly. With PUGs either you have people that kick you out if you dont have certain gear or you have people who are totally clueless. Sometimes even guild runs are hard to get into so at a certain point in most games you end up spending hours just trying to get in a group.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Narfi Hungry Willem View Post
    Problem is most gamers aren't 16 anymore.

I love the interaction of grouping, but at the same time all of my friends are in the same boat as me.
    They have lives, wives, kids, etc...

Just because I seldom group anymore does not however mean that my gameplay is 'anti-social'
    I tend to have conversations going on in soc(guild) chat as well as several pm windows going at once, some with new players helping them out, some with friends comparing notes, and some with more knowledgeable players asking them questions.

But even with all of that, 99% of my actual 'playing' is solo.
    The economy in the game I play is really where it shines, and you need the MMO part for that to work, but it doesn't require you to directly interact with other players either.
    ^This is my situation, personally.

Main reason I like GW2, don't need to party with anyone to do the major events (except of course the recent raid tier open world bosses)

Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Recently, there's been a flock toward Wakfu, which is definitely party/community driven and I can agree that in games like that, soloing is just not the best way to go. But that game is designed to be played in a party otherwise you end up leveling on low level mobs for a long time. In games where the option to solo is available, it's always nice to be able to run out on your own when you just want to have some personal time to enjoy things.

Solo can be good for challenge or when you need to work on your own personal skills. Being a competent solo player in a lot of cases turns out to be a great aid in group play, since you tend to develop skills or tricks that aid in taking down enemies efficiently, because you usually have to when you play alone.

Not having to share loot is also a good enough reason to play solo when you're feeling greedy or just need the money or better gear for something. Ever play games where people want to rush through missions or areas without completing quests or hunting for specific mobs or items when you need them? That can be kind of annoying to deal with. When you play solo, you set your own pace and don't have to worry about that. Granted, yes, you can get into a party with people with the same agenda, but sometimes it's just less of a hassle to do it on your own, especially if you are capable of doing it.

To be honest, while I love the social aspects of MMOs and meeting new people is always fun to me, there are times when I really just like to be alone and still enjoy playing the game. I don't always want to have to find or wait on people to run dungeons, even more so now since I have an odd work schedule, but would like to be able to when I have ample time. And to be honest, sometimes I like to just dick around and watch tv/anime or even switch back and forth between other games when I get bored.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast