Solo players the majority in MMO's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

Default Solo players the majority in MMO's

Isn't that an oxymoron?

..as said by Wildstar dev: "And solo players are tragically underserved in most MMOs – something like 65% of players tend to play largely solo (Massively Single-player, as it were)."
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/ne...f_the_game.php

How do you feel about more people tend to play solo in MMO? Tbh, I dont know where he get that info from, but surely not out of the blue sky.

Currently Playing: Eldevin

General Manager Reputation: 353

People are horribly anti-social in MMORPGs. Sure the big guilds tend to suck up all the socialites and create a facade that makes you think otherwise. But they're definitely the minority.

Heck back when I played Perfect World I had a game to make grinding more enjoyable. I'd send a party invite if someone was grinding in my area and prepare to kill them. If they didn't accept it in 10 seconds I would attack. So many red hours later I knew the truth.
    I’d rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

Innovation is now having games play themselves? I don't want to live on this planet anymore. - Blackomen

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 286

there are actually some games that punish you for partying.
    DAOC is one of them, EQ was aswell.

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Problem is most gamers aren't 16 anymore.

I love the interaction of grouping, but at the same time all of my friends are in the same boat as me.
    They have lives, wives, kids, etc...

Just because I seldom group anymore does not however mean that my gameplay is 'anti-social'
    I tend to have conversations going on in soc(guild) chat as well as several pm windows going at once, some with new players helping them out, some with friends comparing notes, and some with more knowledgeable players asking them questions.

But even with all of that, 99% of my actual 'playing' is solo.
    The economy in the game I play is really where it shines, and you need the MMO part for that to work, but it doesn't require you to directly interact with other players either.

EntropiaPlanets - Fan Site I am involved with
    Entropia Wiki

Game List Master Reputation: 165

I think it depends on the game really...

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    People are horribly anti-social in MMORPGs. Sure the big guilds tend to suck up all the socialites and create a facade that makes you think otherwise. But they're definitely the minority.

Heck back when I played Perfect World I had a game to make grinding more enjoyable. I'd send a party invite if someone was grinding in my area and prepare to kill them. If they didn't accept it in 10 seconds I would attack. So many red hours later I knew the truth.
    It's about the ranking.

And those people soloing are still socializing through their private messages and blogs. I haven't teamed-up with anyone in three weeks (except to try Touhou 13.5) but I still play at least ten hours of online games a day.

I was playing one game listening to music on loop for a few weeks, and since my button-pressing was in-sync with the music I got banned for botting.
    Last edited by Phenoca; 01-31-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 605

It depends really.

If it's PvP, I want to be grouped.
    If it's endgame PvE such as dungeons, I want to be grouped.
    If it's just levelling... hell no. I level pretty slowly and would grind you to a halt or tire myself out in the process of keeping up with you within an hour. :/

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 288

Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    there are actually some games that punish you for partying.
    DAOC is one of them, EQ was aswell.
    not sure if trolling

Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 293

i chose to go solo because of the stupidity that community brings in the game... but seriously why should i get a guild ... when guild doesn't bring me any benefit ? i got friend lists for that and i only need people to do a dungeon or a harder quest other than that i only join a guild if its one of my gaming community guilds.
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 220

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    It depends really.

If it's PvP, I want to be grouped.
    If it's endgame PvE such as dungeons, I want to be grouped.
    If it's just levelling... hell no. I level pretty slowly and would grind you to a halt or tire myself out in the process of keeping up with you within an hour. :/
    this pretty much sums me up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast