Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Solo players the majority in MMO's

  1. #1
    Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10
    plat0nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Solo players the majority in MMO's

    Isn't that an oxymoron?

    ..as said by Wildstar dev: "And solo players are tragically underserved in most MMOs – something like 65% of players tend to play largely solo (Massively Single-player, as it were)."
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/ne...f_the_game.php

    How do you feel about more people tend to play solo in MMO? Tbh, I dont know where he get that info from, but surely not out of the blue sky.

    Currently Playing: Eldevin

  2. #2
    General Manager Reputation: 559
    DizzyPW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,565
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    People are horribly anti-social in MMORPGs. Sure the big guilds tend to suck up all the socialites and create a facade that makes you think otherwise. But they're definitely the minority.

    Heck back when I played Perfect World I had a game to make grinding more enjoyable. I'd send a party invite if someone was grinding in my area and prepare to kill them. If they didn't accept it in 10 seconds I would attack. So many red hours later I knew the truth.
    I’d rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

    Girls dont even look up [anymore], I feel like they're brainless zombies controlled by their iphones. - Abhorsen

    Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

    Currently Playing: SMITE, Battleborn, Herowarz, Pokemon Go
    History: Stardew Valley, Blade & Soul, Elsword, Dragon Ball Xenoverse FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

    Support Pancreatic Cancer Research


  3. #3
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 383
    Krunkmasta Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Everywhere.
    Posts
    16,367
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    there are actually some games that punish you for partying.
    DAOC is one of them, EQ was aswell.

  4. #4
    Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 75
    Narfi Hungry Willem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    722
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Problem is most gamers aren't 16 anymore.

    I love the interaction of grouping, but at the same time all of my friends are in the same boat as me.
    They have lives, wives, kids, etc...

    Just because I seldom group anymore does not however mean that my gameplay is 'anti-social'
    I tend to have conversations going on in soc(guild) chat as well as several pm windows going at once, some with new players helping them out, some with friends comparing notes, and some with more knowledgeable players asking them questions.

    But even with all of that, 99% of my actual 'playing' is solo.
    The economy in the game I play is really where it shines, and you need the MMO part for that to work, but it doesn't require you to directly interact with other players either.
    Play hard. Play smart. Win.
    Work hard. Live smart. Prosper.

  5. #5
    Game List Master Reputation: 239
    chaoscauser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,761
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I think it depends on the game really...

  6. #6
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,241
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    People are horribly anti-social in MMORPGs. Sure the big guilds tend to suck up all the socialites and create a facade that makes you think otherwise. But they're definitely the minority.

    Heck back when I played Perfect World I had a game to make grinding more enjoyable. I'd send a party invite if someone was grinding in my area and prepare to kill them. If they didn't accept it in 10 seconds I would attack. So many red hours later I knew the truth.
    It's about the ranking.

    And those people soloing are still socializing through their private messages and blogs. I haven't teamed-up with anyone in three weeks (except to try Touhou 13.5) but I still play at least ten hours of online games a day.

    I was playing one game listening to music on loop for a few weeks, and since my button-pressing was in-sync with the music I got banned for botting.
    Last edited by Phenoca; 01-31-2014 at 11:26 PM.

  7. #7
    Retired Staff Reputation: 714
    SnOwBunZz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hamster's closet.
    Posts
    12,762
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    It depends really.

    If it's PvP, I want to be grouped.
    If it's endgame PvE such as dungeons, I want to be grouped.
    If it's just levelling... hell no. I level pretty slowly and would grind you to a halt or tire myself out in the process of keeping up with you within an hour. :/

  8. #8
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 610

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,357
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    there are actually some games that punish you for partying.
    DAOC is one of them, EQ was aswell.
    not sure if trolling

  9. #9
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422
    poeticas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12,163
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    i chose to go solo because of the stupidity that community brings in the game... but seriously why should i get a guild ... when guild doesn't bring me any benefit ? i got friend lists for that and i only need people to do a dungeon or a harder quest other than that i only join a guild if its one of my gaming community guilds.
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

  10. #10
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235
    Jermatoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,229
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    It depends really.

    If it's PvP, I want to be grouped.
    If it's endgame PvE such as dungeons, I want to be grouped.
    If it's just levelling... hell no. I level pretty slowly and would grind you to a halt or tire myself out in the process of keeping up with you within an hour. :/
    this pretty much sums me up.

  11. #11
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 20
    Narog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,063
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    talking to people in mmos is so predictable

  12. #12
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 242
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    ř§
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poeticas View Post
    i chose to go solo because of the stupidity that community brings in the game... but seriously why should i get a guild ... when guild doesn't bring me any benefit ? i got friend lists for that and i only need people to do a dungeon or a harder quest other than that i only join a guild if its one of my gaming community guilds.
    To add to this; not only does a guild not bring me benefits they also expect me to help them. If they're not offering me anything, and my main goal is to just be friendly/talk with the people of that guild, than I shouldn't be expected to contribute to their guild bank or go back 10 zones to help the newbie level 8 because he's stuck on a dungeon in the starter zone. I definitely consider myself a Massively Solo-Player. By this I mean that I enjoy the social parts of MMO's. I love talking to people. I'll party from time to time if it helps both of us meet our goal. I love playing with friends. I love in-game-economies, but I don't like guilds because it creates a power dynamic that is quite political in some games and I find that I work a lot faster on my on and people just aren't up for the level of intensity I bring to grinding. I will grind for hours and hours while others want to go back to town for AFK breaks.

    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

  13. #13
    Gabriel's Guardian Reputation: 94
    Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,462
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I often play solo, through my travels/trades I end up with a few really cool people to talk to etc, usually we're doing different things though and end up primarily talking/helping each other with items or something. Though, now that I'm older and smoke cigarettes, my play sessions are often staggered since I can't smoke inside so I'm a little more inclined to decline party invites.
    »Games & IGN«
    Wurm Online » Leviathan
    FFTA2
    »Last updated May 31 2010«

  14. #14
    Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10
    plat0nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    there are actually some games that punish you for partying.
    DAOC is one of them, EQ was aswell.
    lol, considering daoc is very much a pvp game I hardly think it punishes you for grouping. Also all of my level grind groups were pbaoe groups so not sure what daoc you were playin as for everquest, I think kite soloing as a nec or druid or something may have been "optimal" but would you consider that punishing? you had to group to get the fat lewts

    Currently Playing: Eldevin

  15. #15
    Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10
    plat0nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Narog View Post
    talking to people in mmos is so predictable
    maybe because you're predictable \;d

    Currently Playing: Eldevin

  16. #16
    Cingal's Collar Reputation: 36
    Stevz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ... In another castle.
    Posts
    1,534
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I think Narfi and chaoscauser have a general mold for this issue.

    It depends on the game mechanics if it encourages team play. Many factors like ease of lvling, economy or even the communication options determine it. To find the time in our lives to join groups also attributes.

    I will say this though. One thing which has irked me for the longest time is how more and more players abandon any team ethic while devs and publishers, probably publishers more, feed in on this and actually profit from it further.
    Homepage | DA page | My first Flash game >=( | Favorite Flash | Random YT Vid



    + Zappa has died. Lest us forget... +

  17. #17
    King Furry Reputation: 432
    Cingal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    12,568
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I honestly don't see why you'd want to play solo in a mutiplayer focused game.

    There are significantly better single player games out there, I see no reason to not play those instead.
    And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear.

    You shout and no one seems to hear.

  18. #18
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    I honestly don't see why you'd want to play solo in a mutiplayer focused game.

    There are significantly better single player games out there, I see no reason to not play those instead.
    I like questing solo, because with a group most quests in MMOs are ridiculously easy and you just blow through whatever without really learning your character. I also like to do group instances, but the community now a days is not very friendly. With PUGs either you have people that kick you out if you dont have certain gear or you have people who are totally clueless. Sometimes even guild runs are hard to get into so at a certain point in most games you end up spending hours just trying to get in a group.

  19. #19
    Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 91
    Akeras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,619
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Narfi Hungry Willem View Post
    Problem is most gamers aren't 16 anymore.

    I love the interaction of grouping, but at the same time all of my friends are in the same boat as me.
    They have lives, wives, kids, etc...

    Just because I seldom group anymore does not however mean that my gameplay is 'anti-social'
    I tend to have conversations going on in soc(guild) chat as well as several pm windows going at once, some with new players helping them out, some with friends comparing notes, and some with more knowledgeable players asking them questions.

    But even with all of that, 99% of my actual 'playing' is solo.
    The economy in the game I play is really where it shines, and you need the MMO part for that to work, but it doesn't require you to directly interact with other players either.
    ^This is my situation, personally.

    Main reason I like GW2, don't need to party with anyone to do the major events (except of course the recent raid tier open world bosses)


    Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    Generally, if the game has characters which would put you on an FBI watchlist, you're playing an Asian game.

  20. #20
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,107
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    I honestly don't see why you'd want to play solo in a mutiplayer focused game.

    There are significantly better single player games out there, I see no reason to not play those instead.
    Recently, there's been a flock toward Wakfu, which is definitely party/community driven and I can agree that in games like that, soloing is just not the best way to go. But that game is designed to be played in a party otherwise you end up leveling on low level mobs for a long time. In games where the option to solo is available, it's always nice to be able to run out on your own when you just want to have some personal time to enjoy things.

    Solo can be good for challenge or when you need to work on your own personal skills. Being a competent solo player in a lot of cases turns out to be a great aid in group play, since you tend to develop skills or tricks that aid in taking down enemies efficiently, because you usually have to when you play alone.

    Not having to share loot is also a good enough reason to play solo when you're feeling greedy or just need the money or better gear for something. Ever play games where people want to rush through missions or areas without completing quests or hunting for specific mobs or items when you need them? That can be kind of annoying to deal with. When you play solo, you set your own pace and don't have to worry about that. Granted, yes, you can get into a party with people with the same agenda, but sometimes it's just less of a hassle to do it on your own, especially if you are capable of doing it.

    To be honest, while I love the social aspects of MMOs and meeting new people is always fun to me, there are times when I really just like to be alone and still enjoy playing the game. I don't always want to have to find or wait on people to run dungeons, even more so now since I have an odd work schedule, but would like to be able to when I have ample time. And to be honest, sometimes I like to just dick around and watch tv/anime or even switch back and forth between other games when I get bored.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  21. #21
    やめてください! Reputation: 296
    Orpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    9,709
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Let's be honest here, most MMOs actually promote solo play and selfish behavior. Most games will force you to party play eventually but it's mostly a requirement for your OWN advancement. There's no sense of community because the only reason people party or run dungeons together is so they can get their OWN set of epic gear. I don't care about your raiding requirements, I care about how many tokens I need before I can get that orange/exotic/epic/amazing sword of doom, if you aren't useful to me then you might as well be gone.

    A truly social MMO would be one where players are forced to work towards a common goal that benefits ALL of them. Wurm Online or H&H, sandbox games where you build towns/cities and need to defend them actually promote this. You aren't required to connect at certain hours because there's no need to party, you can venture into the nearby woods, collect some wood, get some food and bring it to town, you are helping your fellow players without playing with them. This sort of behavior creates a close community.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •