Gaming Keyboards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Default Gaming Keyboards

I have heard that the Razer Black Widow is the most popular gaming keyboard, but I wanted something cheaper and I found this.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-6G...nical+keyboard

Is this a good one? ANyone here recommend it?

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 166

Yep, mechanical keyboards are great because they lower input lag. You'll want to figure out which cherries (switches) will be best for your typing style and style of play. For example, you have Red switches on that keyboard. I find red switches extremely light and that leads to accidental key presses. My preferred style is black cherries which are more weighty (which is the other option in that amazon product).

Another thing to consider is that the keyboard you chose is extremely anti-ghost. Being anti-ghost is a good thing, but it can also lead to a practice called key blocking. Key blocking is when a manufacture intentionally blocks a key from being pressed if a couple adjoining keys are pressed. For example if you're playing a game where you need to press the QWE keys all at the same time than the E or Q key will most likely be blocked--READ: cancelled--and you'll be stuck with only the QW or WE keys. I don't know how bad the 6Gv2 is about this but it's something you should consider.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    Yep, mechanical keyboards are great because they lower input lag. You'll want to figure out which cherries (switches) will be best for your typing style and style of play. For example, you have Red switches on that keyboard. I find red switches extremely light and that leads to accidental key presses. My preferred style is black cherries which are more weighty (which is the other option in that amazon product).

Another thing to consider is that the keyboard you chose is extremely anti-ghost. Being anti-ghost is a good thing, but it can also lead to a practice called key blocking. Key blocking is when a manufacture intentionally blocks a key from being pressed if a couple adjoining keys are pressed. For example if you're playing a game where you need to press the QWE keys all at the same time than the E or Q key will most likely be blocked--READ: cancelled--and you'll be stuck with only the QW or WE keys. I don't know how bad the 6Gv2 is about this but it's something you should consider.
    Thanks for your insightful reply!

Do you prefer this one then? http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-6G...nical+keyboard

What key switches is this? Cherry black?
    Last edited by Espada1; 02-04-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 166

Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    Thanks for your insightful reply!

Do you prefer this one then? http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-6G...nical+keyboard

What key switches is this? Cherry black?
    The $85 is Red, the $79 is black. Yes, I greatly prefer the weight behind black switches, but what works for me doesn't mean it'll work for you. A lot of people prefer red switches because their lighter. Some strange folk prefer blue switches because auditory (click) feedback. Here is a list of switches http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index...ical-switches/ that should help you figure out which type of switch you feel would fit you best.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

I highly recommend you research different cherry types to accommodate to your own needs. Just know that depending on the cherry type, your keyboard experience is going to be vastly different compared to a standard membrane keyboard. With that out of the way, know that you can buy a sampler for mechanical keyboards as cheap as a few dollars. Basically, you will get a few keys on different switches to play with and make a decision as to what feels best. I still prefer membrane keyboards, but I may make the switch soon enough, as my G15 is wearing itself down.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

No palmrest and no backlight would rule out that kb for me instantly.
    I can live happily without mechanical keys, but I wouldn't take them for free in that package.

Of course the mechanical keyboard hype disagrees, but I don't see the advantage.

Stay frosty.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

My friend has a Razer keyboard hooked to his rig.
    I don't see the justification of spending so much on a keyboard.

I have a cheapo($30) E-Blue Combatant-X and have no issues.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I can live happily without mechanical keys, but I wouldn't take them for free in that package.

Of course the mechanical keyboard hype disagrees, but I don't see the advantage.
    The advantages being the many selections of switch types to cater to individual needs. It also goes without saying that you get rid of the horrible mushiness and wobbliness of a standard membrane keyboard. It's also harder to get keys stuck as the action of key pressing is a lot smoother and linear. The problem for most people making the switch is that we are far too use to old school membrane keyboards that it makes it feel alien when using mechanical. The only advantage you get with other keyboard types is a larger variety of bodies and some being on the cheaper side in terms of price. I would have switched to mechanicals the moment they became popular on the gaming circuit, if not for the fact that I love my G15 and that I bought it when it came out, thus being a pretty expensive buy back in the day for a keyboard. That and as I already pointed out, I'd need to get use to the feel of a mechanical with time, completely going away from what I considered the norm the past few decades.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 375

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Depends on your needs. I used one because I used to PvP very competitively and those keys hitting faster was a slight advantage over a regular keyboard. I got rid of it now since I don't really play online anymore.

I also used to wake up my roommate all the time with the intense key punching

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Avarance View Post
    I also used to wake up my roommate all the time with the intense key punching
    ^This. I've pounded keyboards into submission during late-night MUD gaming, and my girlfriend would be like STOP TYPING SO LOUD, GO TO BED. A mechanical keyboard fixed that. Also dumping the gf helped some.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast