Pixelmon

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Pixelmon

Anyone playing this mod? I just downloaded it the other day, but I've been having issues finding a decent server. I either find a server that is full of children trying to scam each other, or a server that hands you everything right at the start (getting starter kits is cool, but getting every single work bench and 10 master balls is a bit much).

I'm looking for a server that has a mostly mature community, an average of 25-45 people online at any one time, and some decent extra plugins (shops and economy mostly). Role play would be a plus as well.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Anyone? /10char
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

I haven't tried it out yet but apparently they just updated to 3.0 and are going to do a livestream with a bunch of people so I'll be checking it out
    http://pixelmonmod.com/blog/?p=342

Currently Playing: Achaea

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 121

I tried it uh...last year sometime...august maybe?
    It was alright imho, though having all the gyms player owned(least the servers i found) was really silly. Wouldn't be surprised if the games works better now though. Say that cause it was really weird running into random level 48's outside of pallet lol.
    also are they planning on carbon-copying pokemon into minecraft or do they plan on changing anything? IE will IV's, EVs, eggmoves, etc all be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    I tried it uh...last year sometime...august maybe?
    It was alright imho, though having all the gyms player owned(least the servers i found) was really silly. Wouldn't be surprised if the games works better now though. Say that cause it was really weird running into random level 48's outside of pallet lol.
    also are they planning on carbon-copying pokemon into minecraft or do they plan on changing anything? IE will IV's, EVs, eggmoves, etc all be the same?
    I believe that's the case. I know EVs and held items and all that are in. There's fossils you can find by mining, and those can be used in a fossil machine to get the ancient pokemon. There's trading machines for trading with others in multiplayer. There's PCs for storing pokemon. Basically everything from the games, so far. Maybe the single player element will diverge a bit, as I don't think they'll have much luck generating a complete copy of the games in single player minecraft. However, the servers do a great job of doing it using a combination of awesome world builders and dedicated volunteers.

The server I've been playing on, the mc.pokeballers.com one, has been nice so far. Prior to this one, I played on a different server for about a day that just didn't click with me. It was a combination of "adventure" and survival, which may be the issue. I'm not sure if they had a gym system either. Pokeballers, however, has 2 adventure servers (which are the first and second regions from the anime/games), and a survival server. All accessible from a central hub server, which works out really well. Personally, I feel the survivor server sucks as it was a complete mess. I spent a good 25+ minutes running through a massive mess of buildings before I even found regular land to walk on, and still the buildings continued to be closely packed together. I just gave up and went to the adventure server which turned out to be a great decision as the adventure servers have turned out to be a blast.

Right now I'm playing on Adventure Server 1. It's basically all I ever wanted from a Pokemon MMO. It's got all the neat stuff from the GB games, but with the neat multiplayer aspect. Plus it's 3D. And you can watch other people battle. And the Pokemon don't just randomly spawn on you while you're walking around tall grass or something, you can actually see them and watch them move around the game world. You can also call out as many Pokemon as you like whenever you like. So if you want to show off your team of six abnormally large Goldeen(which I actually got, I captured them to help me beat the first badge in Granite town), you can.

The gym system works pretty nice. Each gym has a puzzle (usually of the jumping variety, but I think the second adventure server has puzzles that include trivia and whatnot). When you fight the 'leader' he/she uses the standard set of Pokemon for that gym, all the same level. So the battles are pretty standard, but with the human element. The only down side is that on the Pokeballer server, there's a list of "banned moves" that are deemed to OP and you're not able to use status-effecting moves that will paralyses or put to sleep and what not because I guess it's deemed un-balanced. Each gym has an official Leader and a number of co-leaders. If need be other gym leaders can fill in for others, as each gym battle has a standard set of Pokemon with a standard level, so it's easy to fill in. When you beat a gym, you get the badge and a TM, just like in the games.

The fact that it takes place in minecraft is also neat. Dedicated players and donators can get houses within the different towns in the game. There's also a lot of neat stuff on the Pokeballers servers. Such as massive rare pokemon sculptors that double as jump puzzles you can complete weekly for prizes (such as the premium currency used in the donation shop). It's awesome exploring a town and knowing that each one is owned by an actual player.

They have pretty much everything from the games, including massive department stores, pokemarts, pokecenters. But it has more, such as areas to actually explore, you can just run around looking for neat pokemon to capture without having to spend hours walking back and forth in grass. I ran into a abnormally large Abra yesterday, for example. I spent a good portion of my time in the game a few days ago under water capturing Goldeen for when I took on the Boulder gym. I spent most of today just hanging out in Granite town, watching and participating in battles in the towns center arenas.

Of course, it's not absolutely perfect. But like I said, it is everything I ever actually wanted from a Pokemon MMO. Perhaps when new regions are added to the Pokeballers, or as the Pixelmon mod contineud to advance (for example, version 3.0 is getting released today and it adds a not of new stuff, such as a more advanced Pixelmon spawning system for different tiems of day/night and more diverse biomes, improved PC system, more pokemon, better models, etc...) I will get everything I want.

The most major things I want improved is the battle animations and the battle camera. Right now the camera just spins around the pokemon which can easily glitch out or just look bad. Also, the pokemon just stand in stupid places while battling. Also, the only attack animations is the tackle one. So, if I use water gun, my Pokemon just looks like it is using tackle on the other pokemon. Then that pokemon gets knocked back behind its trainer and just stands there. It makes for a sorry-looking battle experience.
    -Cingal

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 121

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    I believe that's the case. I know EVs and held items and all that are in. There's fossils you can find by mining, and those can be used in a fossil machine to get the ancient pokemon. There's trading machines for trading with others in multiplayer. There's PCs for storing pokemon. Basically everything from the games, so far. Maybe the single player element will diverge a bit, as I don't think they'll have much luck generating a complete copy of the games in single player minecraft. However, the servers do a great job of doing it using a combination of awesome world builders and dedicated volunteers.

The server I've been playing on, the mc.pokeballers.com one, has been nice so far. Prior to this one, I played on a different server for about a day that just didn't click with me. It was a combination of "adventure" and survival, which may be the issue. I'm not sure if they had a gym system either. Pokeballers, however, has 2 adventure servers (which are the first and second regions from the anime/games), and a survival server. All accessible from a central hub server, which works out really well. Personally, I feel the survivor server sucks as it was a complete mess. I spent a good 25+ minutes running through a massive mess of buildings before I even found regular land to walk on, and still the buildings continued to be closely packed together. I just gave up and went to the adventure server which turned out to be a great decision as the adventure servers have turned out to be a blast.

Right now I'm playing on Adventure Server 1. It's basically all I ever wanted from a Pokemon MMO. It's got all the neat stuff from the GB games, but with the neat multiplayer aspect. Plus it's 3D. And you can watch other people battle. And the Pokemon don't just randomly spawn on you while you're walking around tall grass or something, you can actually see them and watch them move around the game world. You can also call out as many Pokemon as you like whenever you like. So if you want to show off your team of six abnormally large Goldeen(which I actually got, I captured them to help me beat the first badge in Granite town), you can.

The gym system works pretty nice. Each gym has a puzzle (usually of the jumping variety, but I think the second adventure server has puzzles that include trivia and whatnot). When you fight the 'leader' he/she uses the standard set of Pokemon for that gym, all the same level. So the battles are pretty standard, but with the human element. The only down side is that on the Pokeballer server, there's a list of "banned moves" that are deemed to OP and you're not able to use status-effecting moves that will paralyses or put to sleep and what not because I guess it's deemed un-balanced. Each gym has an official Leader and a number of co-leaders. If need be other gym leaders can fill in for others, as each gym battle has a standard set of Pokemon with a standard level, so it's easy to fill in. When you beat a gym, you get the badge and a TM, just like in the games.

The fact that it takes place in minecraft is also neat. Dedicated players and donators can get houses within the different towns in the game. There's also a lot of neat stuff on the Pokeballers servers. Such as massive rare pokemon sculptors that double as jump puzzles you can complete weekly for prizes (such as the premium currency used in the donation shop). It's awesome exploring a town and knowing that each one is owned by an actual player.

They have pretty much everything from the games, including massive department stores, pokemarts, pokecenters. But it has more, such as areas to actually explore, you can just run around looking for neat pokemon to capture without having to spend hours walking back and forth in grass. I ran into a abnormally large Abra yesterday, for example. I spent a good portion of my time in the game a few days ago under water capturing Goldeen for when I took on the Boulder gym. I spent most of today just hanging out in Granite town, watching and participating in battles in the towns center arenas.

Of course, it's not absolutely perfect. But like I said, it is everything I ever actually wanted from a Pokemon MMO. Perhaps when new regions are added to the Pokeballers, or as the Pixelmon mod contineud to advance (for example, version 3.0 is getting released today and it adds a not of new stuff, such as a more advanced Pixelmon spawning system for different tiems of day/night and more diverse biomes, improved PC system, more pokemon, better models, etc...) I will get everything I want.

The most major things I want improved is the battle animations and the battle camera. Right now the camera just spins around the pokemon which can easily glitch out or just look bad. Also, the pokemon just stand in stupid places while battling. Also, the only attack animations is the tackle one. So, if I use water gun, my Pokemon just looks like it is using tackle on the other pokemon. Then that pokemon gets knocked back behind its trainer and just stands there. It makes for a sorry-looking battle experience.
    Sounds like you found a decent server! the one i was one had pretty good maps, but bad spawns(for pokes), the gyms were bland(and filled with wild, angry pokemon lol), and didnt have much of a tutorial area, so figuring out apricorns was uh, impossible in the server. Had to use the wiki.

I'll check it out once i finish Bravely Default, 54 hours in so far.