Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Ellen Page's Glorious Speech

  1. #26
    Game Journalist Reputation: 490

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,786
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akeras View Post
    At least in America, it is unfortunately a big deal.

    We're not quite at that point where it's is not a big deal for the majority of people sadly.
    Not in all of America. Where I grew up, in Missouri, it wasn't a big deal. Kids came out in High School all the time and no one cared. There were kids who were obviously going to turn out gay in middle school and no one bullied them from it. It just isn't a big deal in a lot of places in the US anymore. Honestly, I would say that it isn't a big deal in most places. The issue is, just like with all things, the negative voice is the loudest and therefore seems like the majority.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  2. #27
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Not in all of America. Where I grew up, in Missouri, it wasn't a big deal. Kids came out in High School all the time and no one cared. There were kids who were obviously going to turn out gay in middle school and no one bullied them from it. It just isn't a big deal in a lot of places in the US anymore. Honestly, I would say that it isn't a big deal in most places. The issue is, just like with all things, the negative voice is the loudest and therefore seems like the majority.
    Reality would say otherwise. Only seventeen out of 50 states allow same sex marriage, and Missouri isn't one of them.

    Moreover, your perception is limited to what you have seen. Imagine what you haven't seen your classmates go through. I'm sure they've faced some form of discrimination, not counting your state's denial of civil rights.

  3. #28
    Game Journalist Reputation: 490

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,786
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Reality would say otherwise. Only seventeen out of 50 states allow same sex marriage, and Missouri isn't one of them.

    Moreover, your perception is limited to what you have seen. Imagine what you haven't seen your classmates go through. I'm sure they've faced some form of discrimination, not counting your state's denial of civil rights.
    I don't live in Missouri anymore. And just as before, the voice preaching bad things is always the loudest. Also, old people vote and old people are the ones that have issues with homosexuals.

    And I know what my classmates went through.

    I went to a school with over two thousand attending students. Sure, some of those were the type that for some reason had something against homosexuals. They were the group I call "Wannabe rednecks", the type that get their parents to buy them trucks, they were ballcaps, they go "mudding", dipped in class, etc... I would say about 99% of the gay-hate that went on in my school was from that group, which consisted of about fifteen-twenty people out of the two thousand.

    I'm not saying gay-hate or homophobia aren't an issue nowadays. I'm just saying that in my generation, and the generations to come, it isn't as big of an issue. Most of America doesn't hate gays anymore. Most of the old people, maybe. But the majority doesn't care whether or not a person is gay.


    Also, that number? It'll grow fairly frequently over the next few years. Laws and change takes time. Western civilization has been quite hostile towards homosexuals for over a thousand years, I'm honestly surprised that opinion is changing so quickly in comparison.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  4. #29
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Snip.
    I don't disagree that homophobia is decreasing, because of people like Ellen and millions of others striving for that attainable equality.

  5. #30
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,243
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Yeah there was a lot of gay awareness at my schools too. Even though my parents were anti-gay I didn't see my gay classmates as any different. He also had an epic beard...

  6. #31
    Sandman's Slave Reputation: 480
    TreyTrey12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,893
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    This reeks of illuminati.

  7. #32
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52
    Heartyace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,343
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Maybe because I live in Canada, the place of acceptance... But I really don't see anything to die about here, I grew up in a homophobic home, my mom and dad both disliked gays. Right now at this current moment, they accept them. I think yeah, we need to fight for same sex marriage. But I also think people actually need to come to accept gays, everyone hears your gay and changes. I mean in an average conversation, how often do you actually bring on romance/sexual orientation.

    Guess how often it comes up in a conversation with gays... People don't know the difference between right and wrong.
    I mean, how to treat someone who is gay, you want to treat them as your average Joe. But you're afraid something you say might offend them. People just say treat them normally, but often times jokes are at someones expense. It almost starts to feel like you're in an awkward relationship, something like you're being oppressed to act a certain way. I got lazy, so I'm just going to stop here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your average commentor
    If she has anime flu, she will die.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

  8. #33
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartyace View Post
    I mean, how to treat someone who is gay, you want to treat them as your average Joe. But you're afraid something you say might offend them. People just say treat them normally, but often times jokes are at someones expense. It almost starts to feel like you're in an awkward relationship, something like you're being oppressed to act a certain way. I got lazy, so I'm just going to stop here.

  9. #34
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 182
    Paladin Catling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,058
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    The fudge you guys blabberin' about?
    Currently best in:
    Mabinogi
    TF2

  10. #35
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 416

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    6,582
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    i live in montreal

    here everyone is gay

  11. #36
    $$$
    Guest

    Default

    you guys are so gay

  12. #37
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,108
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    To be honest, people have been way more accepting since like early 2000. I went to high school in AZ, NC and NJ and being gay wasn't even an issue among my friends. I've had openly gay friends and coworkers for years and while I'm always glad things are getting better for everyone, it really does seem like sometimes people are losing focus over what this should really be about.

    It's not gay rights, it's human rights. A lot of the headlines about this keep on making it to be about Ellen Page, "coming out" (which is a term I understand how it came about, but really dislike) instead of it being about a person standing up for basic human rights. There have been a lot of excellent speakers on the topic, more so than Ellen Page to be honest, but they always get out shined by celebs.

    There was a guy maybe a few years ago that did a speech on common misconceptions about being gay, love and Christianity that was excellent (wish I could remember the name, I think I posted on my FB a while back) and even The Gentleman's Rant did a pretty good skit on Homophobia that was received well. There have been so many people hitting the issue on the head and driving into people's hearts for a while now that I can't help at times to feel like when celebs do it, it just has less of an impact that when your average joe talks about it.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  13. #38
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    To be honest, people have been way more accepting since like early 2000. I went to high school in AZ, NC and NJ and being gay wasn't even an issue among my friends. I've had openly gay friends and coworkers for years and while I'm always glad things are getting better for everyone, it really does seem like sometimes people are losing focus over what this should really be about.

    It's not gay rights, it's human rights. A lot of the headlines about this keep on making it to be about Ellen Page, "coming out" (which is a term I understand how it came about, but really dislike) instead of it being about a person standing up for basic human rights. There have been a lot of excellent speakers on the topic, more so than Ellen Page to be honest, but they always get out shined by celebs.

    There was a guy maybe a few years ago that did a speech on common misconceptions about being gay, love and Christianity that was excellent (wish I could remember the name, I think I posted on my FB a while back) and even The Gentleman's Rant did a pretty good skit on Homophobia that was received well. There have been so many people hitting the issue on the head and driving into people's hearts for a while now that I can't help at times to feel like when celebs do it, it just has less of an impact that when your average joe talks about it.
    It is about gay rights, which is just a specific branch of human rights.

    I do agree that the headlines are distasteful because they focus on one point of Ellen's speech for maximum viewership potential, rather than title it for the bigger picture that it is. But it's all about marketing and limited text characters, which I don't really have that big of an issue with unless it's completely inaccurate and misleading.

    There have been a lot of fantastic non-celebrity speakers, and I have praised them in my own ways. But it is undeniable that people build a connection to TV personalities, regardless of the lack of personal interaction. People know Ellen because of her movies and social media, so in a sense, they do know her on a vague, but tangible level. It's because of this fact that celebrities are the perfect human rights-vessels. They, themselves, know they are too, which is why many of them speak on behalf of human rights.

    Not to mention, celebrities are still humans, just like you and I, with the same or similar hopes, dreams, and desires for a harmonious world. They are capable of embodying human emotions we can all relate to, and they can deliver intelligent, articulate, and persuasive speeches--which I feel Ellen exemplifies. While they do have extraordinary lifestyles, they also have a pedestal and an audience previously acquired from their profession. It would be a shame not to use it for verbalizing a national issue.

    Furthermore, just a couple years ago, Lady Gaga's movement to abolish Don't Ask, Don't Tell earned her national recognition and she succeeded in her mission.

    Therefore, I have to disagree with your sentiment that celebrities have less of an impact.

  14. #39
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,108
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    It is about gay rights, which is just a specific branch of human rights.

    I do agree that the headlines are distasteful because they focus on one point of Ellen's speech for maximum viewership potential, rather than title it for the bigger picture that it is. But it's all about marketing and limited text characters, which I don't really have that big of an issue with unless it's completely inaccurate and misleading.

    There have been a lot of fantastic non-celebrity speakers, and I have praised them in my own ways. But it is undeniable that people build a connection to TV personalities, regardless of the lack of personal interaction. People know Ellen because of her movies and social media, so in a sense, they do know her on a vague, but tangible level. It's because of this fact that celebrities are the perfect human rights-vessels. They, themselves, know they are too, which is why many of them speak on behalf of human rights.

    Not to mention, celebrities are still humans, just like you and I, with the same or similar hopes, dreams, and desires for a harmonious world. They are capable of embodying human emotions we can all relate to, and they can deliver intelligent, articulate, and persuasive speeches--which I feel Ellen exemplifies. While they do have extraordinary lifestyles, they also have a pedestal and an audience previously acquired from their profession. It would be a shame not to use it for verbalizing a national issue.

    Furthermore, just a couple years ago, Lady Gaga's movement to abolish Don't Ask, Don't Tell earned her national recognition and she succeeded in her mission.

    Therefore, I have to disagree with your sentiment that celebrities have less of an impact.
    Being gay doesn't make you sub human any more than being a different race or gender does, so why should there be a sub branch of laws protecting people like it does? The law itself pretty much defines people by the very things it shouldn't.

    LG's case was different, she'd been a LGBT advocate for years before that happened. That's not what's going on with Ellen Page.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  15. #40
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,344
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Goes to DADT Wikipedia page, searches for Lady Gaga, zero hits. Positively surprised, that the US hasn't sunk as low as to have pop-stars make policy.

    Dont want to diss Gaga, but this is just like saying David Hasselhoff was right, when he claimed that he is responsible for the fall of the Berlin wall.
    Last edited by Ronin; 02-17-2014 at 03:41 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  16. #41
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Default


  17. #42
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    tldw

    She came out and talked for 8 minutes about things that should be common knowledge/practice to people who aren't Republican... or Russian... or intolerant douche-bags in general.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •