Ellen Page's Glorious Speech

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 384

This reeks of illuminati.

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 52

Maybe because I live in Canada, the place of acceptance... But I really don't see anything to die about here, I grew up in a homophobic home, my mom and dad both disliked gays. Right now at this current moment, they accept them. I think yeah, we need to fight for same sex marriage. But I also think people actually need to come to accept gays, everyone hears your gay and changes. I mean in an average conversation, how often do you actually bring on romance/sexual orientation.

Guess how often it comes up in a conversation with gays... People don't know the difference between right and wrong.
    I mean, how to treat someone who is gay, you want to treat them as your average Joe. But you're afraid something you say might offend them. People just say treat them normally, but often times jokes are at someones expense. It almost starts to feel like you're in an awkward relationship, something like you're being oppressed to act a certain way. I got lazy, so I'm just going to stop here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote
    IPandawa was a minor god who came to power and joined the ranks of the twelve when she discovered a recipe for the perfect bamboo wine/milk.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

Quote Originally Posted by Heartyace View Post
    I mean, how to treat someone who is gay, you want to treat them as your average Joe. But you're afraid something you say might offend them. People just say treat them normally, but often times jokes are at someones expense. It almost starts to feel like you're in an awkward relationship, something like you're being oppressed to act a certain way. I got lazy, so I'm just going to stop here.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 182

The fudge you guys blabberin' about?
    Currently best in:
    Mabinogi
    TF2

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 375

i live in montreal

here everyone is gay

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 676
    An infinite loop of MF DOOM muttering "aight then".

you guys are so gay

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

To be honest, people have been way more accepting since like early 2000. I went to high school in AZ, NC and NJ and being gay wasn't even an issue among my friends. I've had openly gay friends and coworkers for years and while I'm always glad things are getting better for everyone, it really does seem like sometimes people are losing focus over what this should really be about.

It's not gay rights, it's human rights. A lot of the headlines about this keep on making it to be about Ellen Page, "coming out" (which is a term I understand how it came about, but really dislike) instead of it being about a person standing up for basic human rights. There have been a lot of excellent speakers on the topic, more so than Ellen Page to be honest, but they always get out shined by celebs.

There was a guy maybe a few years ago that did a speech on common misconceptions about being gay, love and Christianity that was excellent (wish I could remember the name, I think I posted on my FB a while back) and even The Gentleman's Rant did a pretty good skit on Homophobia that was received well. There have been so many people hitting the issue on the head and driving into people's hearts for a while now that I can't help at times to feel like when celebs do it, it just has less of an impact that when your average joe talks about it.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 145

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    To be honest, people have been way more accepting since like early 2000. I went to high school in AZ, NC and NJ and being gay wasn't even an issue among my friends. I've had openly gay friends and coworkers for years and while I'm always glad things are getting better for everyone, it really does seem like sometimes people are losing focus over what this should really be about.

It's not gay rights, it's human rights. A lot of the headlines about this keep on making it to be about Ellen Page, "coming out" (which is a term I understand how it came about, but really dislike) instead of it being about a person standing up for basic human rights. There have been a lot of excellent speakers on the topic, more so than Ellen Page to be honest, but they always get out shined by celebs.

There was a guy maybe a few years ago that did a speech on common misconceptions about being gay, love and Christianity that was excellent (wish I could remember the name, I think I posted on my FB a while back) and even The Gentleman's Rant did a pretty good skit on Homophobia that was received well. There have been so many people hitting the issue on the head and driving into people's hearts for a while now that I can't help at times to feel like when celebs do it, it just has less of an impact that when your average joe talks about it.
    It is about gay rights, which is just a specific branch of human rights.

I do agree that the headlines are distasteful because they focus on one point of Ellen's speech for maximum viewership potential, rather than title it for the bigger picture that it is. But it's all about marketing and limited text characters, which I don't really have that big of an issue with unless it's completely inaccurate and misleading.

There have been a lot of fantastic non-celebrity speakers, and I have praised them in my own ways. But it is undeniable that people build a connection to TV personalities, regardless of the lack of personal interaction. People know Ellen because of her movies and social media, so in a sense, they do know her on a vague, but tangible level. It's because of this fact that celebrities are the perfect human rights-vessels. They, themselves, know they are too, which is why many of them speak on behalf of human rights.

Not to mention, celebrities are still humans, just like you and I, with the same or similar hopes, dreams, and desires for a harmonious world. They are capable of embodying human emotions we can all relate to, and they can deliver intelligent, articulate, and persuasive speeches--which I feel Ellen exemplifies. While they do have extraordinary lifestyles, they also have a pedestal and an audience previously acquired from their profession. It would be a shame not to use it for verbalizing a national issue.

Furthermore, just a couple years ago, Lady Gaga's movement to abolish Don't Ask, Don't Tell earned her national recognition and she succeeded in her mission.

Therefore, I have to disagree with your sentiment that celebrities have less of an impact.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    It is about gay rights, which is just a specific branch of human rights.

I do agree that the headlines are distasteful because they focus on one point of Ellen's speech for maximum viewership potential, rather than title it for the bigger picture that it is. But it's all about marketing and limited text characters, which I don't really have that big of an issue with unless it's completely inaccurate and misleading.

There have been a lot of fantastic non-celebrity speakers, and I have praised them in my own ways. But it is undeniable that people build a connection to TV personalities, regardless of the lack of personal interaction. People know Ellen because of her movies and social media, so in a sense, they do know her on a vague, but tangible level. It's because of this fact that celebrities are the perfect human rights-vessels. They, themselves, know they are too, which is why many of them speak on behalf of human rights.

Not to mention, celebrities are still humans, just like you and I, with the same or similar hopes, dreams, and desires for a harmonious world. They are capable of embodying human emotions we can all relate to, and they can deliver intelligent, articulate, and persuasive speeches--which I feel Ellen exemplifies. While they do have extraordinary lifestyles, they also have a pedestal and an audience previously acquired from their profession. It would be a shame not to use it for verbalizing a national issue.

Furthermore, just a couple years ago, Lady Gaga's movement to abolish Don't Ask, Don't Tell earned her national recognition and she succeeded in her mission.

Therefore, I have to disagree with your sentiment that celebrities have less of an impact.
    Being gay doesn't make you sub human any more than being a different race or gender does, so why should there be a sub branch of laws protecting people like it does? The law itself pretty much defines people by the very things it shouldn't.

LG's case was different, she'd been a LGBT advocate for years before that happened. That's not what's going on with Ellen Page.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Goes to DADT Wikipedia page, searches for Lady Gaga, zero hits. Positively surprised, that the US hasn't sunk as low as to have pop-stars make policy.

Dont want to diss Gaga, but this is just like saying David Hasselhoff was right, when he claimed that he is responsible for the fall of the Berlin wall.
    Last edited by Ronin; 02-17-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Stay frosty.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast