Relationships in MMORPGs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11
    Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10
    seikyochansu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I have completed your survey, yet I am only 16. All of your data is corrupted! hahahaha.

    If you double confirmed that your age was 18, then that's enough for me. :P The age restriction was due to the fact that the questionnaire contains questions about sexuality, so some ethical issues can arise if participants are teenagers. It would be open to pretty much anyone otherwise.

  2. #12
    Super Moderator Reputation: 284
    Loric's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Coloring eggs in the lost city of Atlantis.
    Posts
    4,668
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I got married in maplestory, so I'm pretty much an MMORPG relationship expert.

  3. #13
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    5,711
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    I lived for 3 years with a girl I met in an MMORPG. It fell apart once we discovered we had interests outside MMORPGs.
    Ouch! Breaking-up after three years sounds extremely painful.

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    I, also, did meet and have a relationship with someone, but it ended because he was verbally abusive and dishonest.
    What a jerk :l

    Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    I met my fiancee on a cognitive psychology & debate forum. I actually felt a deeper connection by getting to know her online first before I got to meet her IRL. We were friends online for two years and e-dated for one before we took that next step. I can say that I've never been happier in a relationship and due to us meeting online we already know what makes the other tick. We've been together for three years now and I can say that we've only fought twice and those were, in her words, misunderstandings. We see couples that started IRL get into worse fights 10 times a week.
    Am jelly.

    Quote Originally Posted by seikyochansu View Post
    I believe that this more organic environment can be a fantastic start for people, and I want my research to show the efficacy of these relationships.
    Interesting outlook
    I usually hear online boy/girl relations slammed with negative views, yet every so often there's a story of an online couple getting married. Also on the internet it is SO straightforward to find people with the same interests as you.

    Quote Originally Posted by seikyochansu View Post
    You're right, it can be easy to screw with people, and the anonymity of the internet can be a powerful motivator for trolling. When you think about it though, can't the same thing happen in person? [...] Masks exist online and offline.
    Yes. People underestimate the trolling that goes-on IRL. In fact, when people refer to a sour relationship they are usually referring to real life examples. It's like the foreigner thread: Are British people better/worse to date that people from your own country? And the likely answer is, there are amazing people everywhere and there are also moronic a*****es everywhere. Everyone I know (with the exception of two of my grandparents) uses the internet and out of the people I know who use the internet there are many jerks and many awesome people (and probably many people I think are awesome who act like jerks to other people)! (... And many people I consider jerks who aren't.)
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

  4. #14
    Arri's Animal Reputation: 94
    Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    3,129
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Meh I haven't had a gf online or in rl, I guess I haven't really seen anyone my type. *sits in glass box of emotion*


  5. #15
    Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10
    seikyochansu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Interesting outlook
    I usually hear online boy/girl relations slammed with negative views, yet every so often there's a story of an online couple getting married. Also on the internet it is SO straightforward to find people with the same interests as you.
    Thanks! And you're right; the reviews are usually negative because the online gaming community still doesn't have much respect. Things have changed in the last several years because online gaming isn't as much of a niche interest as it was 20 years ago, but the grey areas are massive. Even when you look at most research about online gaming, it's in a negative context (ex: addition). I want my research to bring a more positive and constructive outlook, rather than the usual research which focuses on "problems."

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Yes. People underestimate the trolling that goes-on IRL. In fact, when people refer to a sour relationship they are usually referring to real life examples. It's like the foreigner thread: Are British people better/worse to date that people from your own country? And the likely answer is, there are amazing people everywhere and there are also moronic a*****es everywhere. Everyone I know (with the exception of two of my grandparents) uses the internet and out of the people I know who use the internet there are many jerks and many awesome people (and probably many people I think are awesome who act like jerks to other people)! (... And many people I consider jerks who aren't.)
    It's easy to be a jerk online when there are no repercussions. I like to take the stance that people are allowed to be themselves online, but that doesn't always end up positively. The shy folks can come out and make friends online which they were unable to do offline (I fell into this one years ago), and sometimes people are just inherently jerks. But there are good sides to everyone. I've also had the experience where someone I thought was a huge jerk (to everyone) turned out to be very different in reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydude View Post
    Meh I haven't had a gf online or in rl, I guess I haven't really seen anyone my type. *sits in glass box of emotion*
    Not a bad thing at all. I've had a plethora of relationships in most of the ways you can think of: online-only, online and met irl, online to offline long-term, offline short-term, offline casual, offline long-term... The categories can go on. For some, like me, the experiences I've gone through have been necessary for me to grow and mature. Yet for others, it only takes that one single right person and things can fall into place. Not jumping into every relationship or opportunity is a feat in itself, and it is commendable. You can sit in that glass box of emotion, but one day someone is going to come knocking and you'll have to break out!

  6. #16
    Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 134
    Kamilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,237
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    I got married in maplestory, so I'm pretty much an MMORPG relationship expert.
    so jealoussssssssssssss
    Last edited by Kamilla; 02-20-2014 at 12:51 AM.

  7. #17
    Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 632
    TheSkald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs
    Posts
    9,596
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    When I was 11 or so I had a crush on a girl in Runescape. I told her my name was Zack because I thought Zack was a cool name. I yelled at some guy trying to sell big bones for too much money to try to impress her. I should get in touch with her.

  8. #18
    Super Moderator Reputation: 284
    Loric's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Coloring eggs in the lost city of Atlantis.
    Posts
    4,668
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamilla View Post



    so jealoussssssssssssss
    It had a tragic ending, as my wife was eventually banned and I got the "forever single" title.

  9. #19
    Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 92
    Klaime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,995
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    When I was 11 or so I had a crush on a girl in Runescape. I told her my name was Zack because I thought Zack was a cool name. I yelled at some guy trying to sell big bones for too much money to try to impress her. I should get in touch with her.
    You should.

  10. #20
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 182
    Paladin Catling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,062
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    No human is worthy of my love. With that said...I get plenty of pussy.
    Currently best in:
    Mabinogi
    TF2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •