Drawing Tablets

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Default Drawing Tablets

So, I am thinking about buying a tablet for drawing.
    I am considering the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Medium Tablet (CTH680) for $185 or the Wacom Intuos Manga Pen and Touch Small for $99.

The first has a larger active area. The second is cheaper and includes software I wouldn't mind having...
    Is the extra active area a huge benifit?

There are other, cheaper, tablets available but so far all advice points toward this brand.

Does anyone have any experience with these? If so, please post your thoughts.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 14

i have an intuos 3. i've had it for many years now and it works well.

i would definitely get a intuos 4 or 5 since the pen is better and they have 2048 pressure levels. on the other hand mine is 1024 and it works well.
    my tablet is 6 * 8 it's the medium size i've never felt it being to small, you're painting in the same area of the tablet most of the time and just move the picture around in Photoshop etc..

stick with wacom.. there is no other company that come even close to produce tablets at their level

bottom line is: the worst tablet is still better then the best mouse on the market
    Last edited by kenshii; 02-17-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by kenshii View Post
    SNIP
    I don't know, mate. Monoprice OEMs some pretty awesome. That are often nearly half the price of tablets you would buy from Wacom. The review I just linked to is for an older model, but if you click his review button at the top of the page he has a lot of other reviews on all sorts of tablets from Wacom to Yiynova. (Which I believe is the biggest Chinese tablet manufacture, but don't quote me on that.)
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Hmm. Monoprice is tempting. I could get it for about half the price as the CTH680.
    But Monoprice has quite a few horror stories that are more than DoA flukes.

Since, it is my first tablet, I may go with a Monoprice + $5 insurance.
    If it doesn't work, return it and use the credit for a Wacom.

I won't buy it for a few days though. Still open to suggestions.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Hmm. Monoprice is tempting. I could get it for about half the price as the CTH680.
    But Monoprice has quite a few horror stories that are more than DoA flukes.

Since, it is my first tablet, I may go with a Monoprice + $5 insurance.
    If it doesn't work, return it and use the credit for a Wacom.

I won't buy it for a few days though. Still open to suggestions.
    Actually, he recently got a newer budget one that has 2024 levels of pressure and he says that it beats the monoprice. Which is why I said to look at his latest reviews: http://frenden.com/post/60704895108/...eview-round-up
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I've been wanting to buy a tablet for a while now, too. I completely suck at drawing to begin with, but trying to do anything decent in photoshop with a mouse just doesn't seem to work for me unless I take it very slow and apply a lot of eraser.

What I'm trying to say is, I can't do lines with a mouse.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Hey. This was pretty epic.

But I am in the same boat. On paper I can sometimes end up with something cool but it has like 47000 erased lines.
    With a mouse the most I can pull off is small pixel art. Lines are not my friend.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 14

I didn't know there where so many other brands. they are not available in my country, this is not a very big market i guess.
    having a tablet is a blessing regardless of skill level, working in photoshop, painter, illustator or any 3d program becomes a lot easer.

in the meantime you should check out illustrator if you only have a mouse... it's so easy to use, you can make perfect line art blindfolded since it's all in vector and it auto corrects your lines

Well, I went with the Huion H58L.

Should be here in the next week. Now to find a good program to use with it. Any recommendations?
    Right now I use GIMP quite a bit, I'll see how it works but am thinking of buying Manga Studio 5 or maybe Sketchbook Pro 6.