MMORPG Without Role Play ? is it the end of MMORPGs ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 27

OK, guys! Now I'm confused for good. o;O'

Super Moderator Reputation: 189

role-play [rohl-pley] Show IPA
    verb (used with object)
    to assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), especially in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction: Management trainees were given a chance to role-play labor negotiators.
    In the case of an MMORPG, when you play a tank, you are taking on the role of a tank, therefore role-playing as a tank. While there is also role-playing as you would commonly see in "RP" servers, that does not diminish the role of the RP in RPG.

Yes, you're taking on the role of mario in a mario game, or master chief in a halo game. You're taking on the role of a tank, healer or DPS in an MMORPG. You take on the attitudes of those roles: As a DPS, you want to do the most damage possible. As a healer, you don't want anyone to die. As a tank, you want the majority of the enemies to be attacking you. Likewise, as a healer you aren't necessarily concerned with doing damage, or you aren't concerned with being top DPS as a tank.

Basically, the argument is that by making all classes capable of filling the roles of tank, healer, dps you are turning players into blobs with no roles.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Senseos View Post
    Please stop trolling with MARIO , we talk about online games MMORPGs

Role Play=Role in Every team,Online mmos are not OFFLINE solo games

Healers wona feel like Healers

Tank/Puller ETC

DD/Ranger/Magic ETC

Buff/Cleric/Bard ETC

+more

in GW2 whats ur Role in Instances ? be a random !

Why ur leveling in GW 2 ? To get MOBA pvp at end ,which is instant in every full 3d Moba !

Thats the Reason why People play old games...
    Read the whole post before you reply would be nice.

Again, there are roles in GW2. They are just not Holy Trinity that you are used to.
    * In GW2; the roles are Damage Dealer, Support, and Controller.
    * Just kinda of like in WoW, every class can do almost all three, but some classes can do certain things better than others.
    * All classes can deal damage. Some are better than others.
    * Almost if not all class can heal and buff, aka support. Some classes are better than others.
    * All classes have debuff to put on enemies, aka Controller. Some classes are better than others.
    * Learn To Play the game.
    * And learn what RPG means.
    * And, again, learn the difference between 'role-play', and 'role to play'.
    * RPG, ORPG, or MMORPG, the RP are still the same. Role-Play. Either you role-play as a Norn in GW2, or a Gnome in WoW, or a chibi character in Mabinogi, or a Space Marine in 40k, it's still Role-Play. Not a role to play in a team.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 286

Role play to me signifies basically mentally becoming your character.
    i would say mmo party "roles" are different

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    Role play to me signifies basically mentally becoming your character.
    i would say mmo party "roles" are different
    ^This. I like to be a healer and always play one in every game.

OP is right, GW2 lost the meaning of RPG and that was the reason i quitted it long time ago, and for same reason i went back to TERA.

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrias View Post
    Someone really should play tabletop RPG's here...
    I'm considering putting together a Mystic Empyrean game on Roll20.net, maybe i'll look for folks to play with here o-o

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

I've actually never played a tabletop RPG but I've been playing MUDs for like 15 years. I joined an RP server in WoW once and ran straight back to MUDs. Graphics sort of ruin RP immersion for me anyways, like how the book>the movie in most cases.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    I've actually never played a tabletop RPG but I've been playing MUDs for like 15 years. I joined an RP server in WoW once and ran straight back to MUDs. Graphics sort of ruin RP immersion for me anyways, like how the book>the movie in most cases.
    Agreed, this is the system i'll be using, if anyone is interested. It's very narrative heavy and they permit you to pass around the PDF to other users, so long as you're using at least some kind of discretion about it ._.

The system lets you play as anything and instead of typical levels and EXP, the other plays judge how your character acted and give you points in that emotion/tact, so someone who takes to problems in a confrontational way would start to develop fire-type-aspects, skills and visuals o-o

"Rather than driving your character's development with experience points or classes, player growth is dictated by roleplaying choices. The personalities that your character exemplifies in-game will become the root of his or her powers. Characters continually evolve to discover new powers within themselves—but be wary of becoming consumed by your vices, or even virtues, as they will turn against you when over-indulged!"

http://www.mysticempyrean.com/
    Last edited by Dave!Yognaught; 02-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Wand of !!!!!!11!!! Power Reputation: 15

OP, you're using Role Play in a different context than what it really is. What you're thinking is a role TO play. If we take it into your context, you're talking about tanks, healers, dps, etc. However, when we break down the acronym RP, it refers to Roleplaying, in which people use lore and their own made-up background stories in order to act as their character.

I believe too many people forget the foundation of MMORPGs and ignore the storyline of the game or are just disinterested in it. Yet, MMORPGs focus on storylines, that's what's supposed to make them interesting, such as WoW (you cannot deny that WoW's storyline is rich, but if you feel it isn't, *insert WoW hate here*). I, for one, am a Roleplayer. I've been roleplaying for a good amount of years and so far every MMORPG that I've played has had a rich and developed storyline. I can guarantee that RP in GW2 is nearly nonexistent with their half-assed storyline (or at least the storyline itself isn't structured enough).
    Currently Playing:
    Defiance
    Dota 2
    Dynasty Warriors 8

Waiting For:
    Graduating College
    Life outside of school
    Dislocated Knee to Heal

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

The current trend with creating classes that are completely self sufficient is moving away from teamwork and working with people to single player game in an online world. I much prefer the old style specific roles to play as it brings people together. Oh well, it seems our society is being reflected in the games we play. Every man for himself...

Currently Playing: Eldevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast